Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go To V The Old Way?

Options
  • 18-05-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi, researching options for buying a telescope.Taking my time as I want to make the right decision.My query is this.Would I get a better actual telescope if I was to forego the Go To feature on the motorised/computerised scopes but for the same price as one of those?For example take the NexStar 6 Go To with a rough price of €700.For the same ball park cost would I get a better scope if it didnt have any motorisation involved?And if so what models should I be looking at?
    I appreciate some like the Go To aspect but so far, just with my celestron binos I've enjoyed discovering the night sky for myself, finding and familiarising myself with different objects.I dont mind doing it the old fashioned way!
    Bottom line, would I get a higher quality scope without Go To, than a comparable Go To in the same price bracket ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Personally I couldn't recommend GoTo highly enough. There are just so many objects up there that I would have difficulty identifying one from the other without GoTo, not to mention all the time saved by avoiding having to consult star charts and the like. So GoTo is worth every cent in my view!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I'd recommend it too.

When I started, I didn't know where "things" were - or even what kind of things to look for. Without Goto, I'd have been pretty frustrated, and might have given up. But by picking targets from the hand controller, I saw enough to maintain an interest.

These days, I'm using GoTo somewhat less. I can plan my evening, and generally know where in the sky I'll be looking. If you don't have somebody to guide you on the dark nights, a telescope with GoTo should give you plenty to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Bottom line, would I get a higher quality scope without Go To, than a comparable Go To in the same price bracket ?

I'd still like people's thoughts on this although I AM in two minds now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Bottom line, would I get a higher quality scope without Go To, than a comparable Go To in the same price bracket

I get asked this question every day!!

Absolutely yes. For less than the price of say, a 102mm Alt-Az Goto Refractor, you could be looking through an 8" Dobsonian.

No comparison between the two for light grasp "ability".

With any scope/mount, electronics cost money, so getting a scope with them, means the spec has been cut back elsewhere, usually the size of the aperture.

A manually operated 14" Dobsonian, is very close to the price of a goto 12" one. Same for a manual 16", very close to price of a goto 14".

Getting goto really depends on how much patience you have, but also how much free time you have in the evenings. If time is short, a goto scope will get you observing more things per night than a manual.

If you have all night to do stuff, and you like a challenge, get a manual scope and a star atlas.

Its very person-specific.

Ok this seems like a bit of a half way house.Been researching the Orion XT8i Dobsonian.How would anyone with experience rate this scope?Pros/ cons?
    My hesitancy with the Celestron NexStar type scopes is because of the need for lots of batteries and alternative power source which seems a hassle ( to me anyway!)
    I know the XT8i requires a battery to a degree but you move it about yourself.
    Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Ok this seems like a bit of a half way house.Been researching the Orion XT8i Dobsonian.How would anyone with experience rate this scope?Pros/ cons?
    My hesitancy with the Celestron NexStar type scopes is because of the need for lots of batteries and alternative power source which seems a hassle ( to me anyway!)
    I know the XT8i requires a battery to a degree but you move it about yourself.
    Any thoughts?
    You have to ask yourself how are you going to use your scope. If you have extensive knowledge of the night sky the answer is obvious, Go-To is not needed. If like most of use mere mortals who have only limited knowledge of the night sky, Go-To is extremely useful and personally I would say a must!

As Ireland is not the most condusive place for astronomy due to the "wonderful weather" which parks itself over our fair green isle, for 300 of the 365 days a year. Like most of us if you have to balance the usual work and family demands, realistically the amount of cloud free nights that you can observe on are few and far between during the course of the average year. So bear in mind that on each of these rare observing occasions, you will have to reacquire all the knowledge locked up in your brain due to the lack of use, again "Go-To" will be very useful.

Alternatively, if you can go observing at the drop of a hat and you can maintain a regular observing program, you will find that your need for "Go-To" will be that of an occasional accessory.

Any of the "Go-To" scopes I have used over the years can be used without a power source.

In relation to the power suppy, this all depends where you are going to use the scope. If you plan to use it mostly in your back garden, a simple power adaptor and an extension lead from you home or shed electricty supply is by far the best arrangement.

You don't have to buy the extremely expensive original equiptment power supplies systems. There are a number of alternative 12 volt "car starter" packs you can use and at a fraction of the price! Look out for them in Aldi, Lidl, Matalan, or any Motor Factors.

Be very honest with yourself and ask what type of an observer you will be realistically? One of the lucky one's who will able to go observing at anytime, or one of us mere mortals who enjoy this wonderful pastime as an occasional and weather dependent hobby.
    So whatever your decision, I genuinely hope that you will enjoy the scope you buy.

My current set-up is
    Celestron CPC 9.25.
    Full set of Celestron Ultima LX eyepieces.
    Feathertouch Microfocuser.

That sure makes a lot of sense Pat, you made a couple of salient points that maybe I in my enthusiasm hadnt fully thought through!
    With the huge amount of choice out there its hard to make a decision in case I mess up!From what I've read of them both the SkyQuest 8" Dob i and the NexStars seem to rate consistently well.As I' m still fairly new to observing I'm trying to decide on a scope that combines what I think I need.Will mostly use in my back garden but like an element of portability to be able to avail of darker skies on the odd ocassion.Something that will show me a good general combination of the planets and DS and that is good enough to leave me not wanting to upgrade too soon.My budget is around 700-800 euro.Do these provisos ring a bell with anyone?I'm still leaning towards the XT8 Dob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

http://www.adverts.ie/telescopes-binoculars/skyliner-200p-flextube-synscan-go-to/5463395

*nothing whatsoever to do with the seller

You'd be mad not to consider it.

An 8" dob is a very popular scope. Probably the most popular scope. Tends to do deep sky a little better than planetary.

Kersh, thanks for that, looks like already sale agreed though.I'll keep an eye on that site though.

Advertisement