Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer and Wine licence with/without food

Options
  • 18-05-2014 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I am just wondering can someone point me in the right direction for the above licence. I am getting abit bogged down.

I originally thought a special restaurant would be suitable, however I want to offer beer/wine without food.

However if I don't want to serve spirits, must I still apply for a Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary)?

Source:
    www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/leaflets/guide-to-excise-licences.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

I am just wondering can someone point me in the right direction for the above licence. I am getting abit bogged down.

I originally thought a special restaurant would be suitable, however I want to offer beer/wine without food.

However if I don't want to serve spirits, must I still apply for a Publican's Licence (7-Day Ordinary)?

Source:
    www.revenue.ie/en/tax/excise/leaflets/guide-to-excise-licences.pdf

If you're not selling food then you cannot serve alcohol under a restaurant licence. From what I know you'll need a publican's licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭theyearof2010

There will be a food menu. However, can I have a restaurant licence and accept customers off the street who just want a drink?

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

There will be a food menu. However, can I have a restaurant licence and accept customers off the street who just want a drink?

Thanks for the advice

No,consumption of liquor must form part of a meal on the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Nope. That's a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Thanks for the advice

In theory no you can't, if in reality the odd punter walks in, orders a drink while browsing the menu etc. and walks out again then I doubt anybody will pay much heed.

But if its blatantly promoted and encouraged then you could be in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

With a special license, you're also not allowed to have a bar, where people can sit.

I was researching all this a few months ago and various sources give different answers to what is and isn't allowed. You may be best getting the advice of a solicitor experienced in licensing laws.

The huge difference in cost between a seven day and a special license means getting around the limitations will save you 10's of 1000's. However, the pub lobby have the laws so tightly enforced that they cannot issue special licenses without the judge being assured that the limitations are met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

you could have a wine bar - license is easy and cheap. But once you serve beer, you need full on sale licence.

Advertisement