Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long reach hedge trimmer

• 18-05-2014 11:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying a long reach hedge trimmer and I'm wondering what's the best make to buy.
    I have a white thorn and green beach hedge to cut and both are around 7 feet high.
    I want a good reliable make with some power.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Guttervac

Stihl are very good but expensive, tanaka are a decent make and fairly well priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Guttervac wrote: »
    Stihl are very good but expensive, tanaka are a decent make and fairly well priced.

Ya looking at the Stihl today, expensive alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

both of mine are sthil and will last you years and years and are easy to fix and service etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Like oldtree says buy the expensive one and get years of trouble free servce from it.

I have the husqvarna equivalent and have had it for ten years and it is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

How heavy a branch will that cut. I have white thorn at the back of my house and I have to cut it twice a year, gets thick and heavy.

• Advertisement

I would say that the tanaka are much better machine than the husky in that price bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Another vote for Stihl here. Pricey sure, but you can get parts everywhere for them should you eventually need them, and they're easily serviced.

I have a stihl kombi system with the long reach hedge cutter that you can rotate. Excellent machine.

I would say that the tanaka are much better machine than the husky in that price bracket.

Why do you say that? What proof do you have? Mine is a pro machine bought ten years ago cutting minimum 2000 feet of hedge a year both sides and top.

I have used both at different times over the last 20 years commercially and have have found the tanaka a much more reliable machine in both long handled hedge trimmers and strimmers. Undoubtably Stihl are miles ahead but does cutting a hedge once or twice a year warrant one I don't know. Also I find a good judge of durability and reliability is that a lot of hire shops use tanaka for hire, I don't think I have ever seen a husky used for hire. But that's just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have a stihl kombi system with the long reach hedge cutter that you can rotate. Excellent machine.

Same here, to reduce the cost I went halves with my Dad*, may be an option if you can do that.

We have the mini chainsaw attachment too and it is great for those occasional thick branches.

* - Substitute my dad for someone you know :D

I bought the harness for the still combi last year and found it brilliant if I am cutting for long periods of time especially useful when using extension bar but it does take a little bit of getting used to and I look ridiculous but takes the pressure off the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

I have used both at different times over the last 20 years commercially and have have found the tanaka a much more reliable machine in both long handled hedge trimmers and strimmers. Undoubtably Stihl are miles ahead but does cutting a hedge once or twice a year warrant one I don't know. Also I find a good judge of durability and reliability is that a lot of hire shops use tanaka for hire, I don't think I have ever seen a husky used for hire. But that's just my opinion.

I second this. We use only Tanaka two stroke machines for hire and have done since the 1990's.

I stand by my choice of husky/stihl, most tanaka stuff has far too high vibrations for anything more than 30 minutes use, obviously hire shops aren't bothered about that.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I stand by my choice of husky/stihl, most tanaka stuff has far too high vibrations for anything more than 30 minutes use, obviously hire shops aren't bothered about that.

Personally I can't say I have ever found any noticeable difference in vibration between any of them.

Personally I can't say I have ever found any noticeable difference in vibration between any of them.

Vibes on husky long pole are 4/5 rather telling that tanaka don't publish them on their website.

Advertisement