Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The AH Euro Election thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Did Carthy twist your rubbery little arm then? :D

More a case of the other gobshites turning me off voting for them

Particularly that stupid, arrogant munter Higgins

I'd vote for Ming if Carthy wasn't running. Though I think he's of better use to the country in the Dáil

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

My alternatives to insults?

What?

You said; "The fact is that there are many, many disillusioned people out there who do not think the Govt are doing as good a job as you think they are."

My question of you - and them, is what alternative do you propose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

First Up wrote: »
    Labour has done the country a great service, which history will in time come to acknowledge. The country was left in a disastrous state by FF/Greens and it is obvious that most posters here have not a clue about how bad it was and how dire things might have been.
    Labour joined in government, knowing that that it offered the only prospect of stable, credible government in a time of crisis. They did what had to be done, knowing it would not be popular. They have helped bring us back from the brink of disaster and returned the country to a path to growth and prosperity. Politicians and civil servants have worked impossible hours and sacrificed their family lives, social lives and in the case of politicians,.probably their careers to do the country a service.
    I'm sure this will be ridiculed and disparaged but it needs saying. I am not a Labour voter but this time, I will be, even while the lynch mob does its thing.

I'm sure you're not, yeah. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

pajor wrote: »
    Pretty good test, no surprises for me though. :pac:

http://www.electio2014.eu/matchyourvote/votingrecords

That made me realises how little I cared about the EU policies.

I'm sure you're not, yeah. ;)

Nope, I would lean towards FG mostly, with the occasional other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

golfball37 wrote: »
    They went way ott this weekend though. Polling the public on whether someone is guilty of murder is just scandalous. Not withstanding the impertinence of it surely it would prejudice any future trial if forthcoming?
    Today then one piece is accusing the women running in the euros of knowing all Adams secrets surrounding his brother and they should be ostricised for this.
    Truly shocking stuff and to think they consider themselves a serious newspaper.

Hardly surprising for the Sindo. It also stated that Adams issued a legal letter over a piece on his brother, the convicted paedophile. Adams has questions to answer on that issue, far more worrying than the McConville stuff for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

pajor wrote: »
    Pretty good test, no surprises for me though. :pac:

http://www.electio2014.eu/matchyourvote/votingrecords

I was doing OK on that site until I tried to see the results of who I vote for. The layout is great to use as well (if it's not blocked by any internet servers that is). However the college I am in now had my result of that page blocked through it's internal server because the page was to be catagorised as 'Dating'???????!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

FFS I am not even thinking of being in love with them for a start. People could ask me out on the street one day out on the sly "How can you be love with a Politician, most of them are useless idiots?". I would say to them "I don't even know how that conclusion happen to myself tbf".

On this Friday's election though by living in Dublin. I would give a vote to the independents as long as they have credible and rational policies. Either that or it is nobody
    would not deserve even one vote from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

We shouldnt be sending Yes men/women to Brussels we should be sending Mouthy No people like Ming.

I was watching the primetime debate last night and it reinforced my opinion that we should elect independent thinking people who will stand up to the Brussels fat cats and make their voices heard.

Dont forget the farce of the Nice and Lisbon treaties, we were misled by the false promise of jobs.

We dont want quiet Irish MEPS that say everything is grand in little old Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Labour has done the country a great service, which history will in time come to acknowledge. The country was left in a disastrous state by FF/Greens and it is obvious that most posters here have not a clue about how bad it was and how dire things might have been.
    Labour joined in government, knowing that that it offered the only prospect of stable, credible government in a time of crisis. They did what had to be done, knowing it would not be popular. They have helped bring us back from the brink of disaster and returned the country to a path to growth and prosperity. Politicians and civil servants have worked impossible hours and sacrificed their family lives, social lives and in the case of politicians,.probably their careers to do the country a service.
    I'm sure this will be ridiculed and disparaged but it needs saying. I am not a Labour voter but this time, I will be, even while the lynch mob does its thing.

Labour are a disgrace they are a con.

They dont represent workers but they are more than happy to get donations from Siptu.

I bet Gilmore wont be Labour leader this time next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

As much as I generally hate the left wing independents, Ming comes across quite well in any interview I've seen him give recently.

Why he throws his lot in with Mick Wallace and Clare Daly is beyond me.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    Labour are a disgrace they are a con.

They dont represent workers but they are more than happy to get donations from Siptu.

I bet Gilmore wont be Labour leader this time next week.

As part of the government, they are required to represent everyone. Helping get the economy and country out of hock, keeping investor confidence up and growing employment under atrocious circumstances entitles them to some credit.

But you carry on with your class war or whatever it is gets you aroused.

As part of the government, they are required to represent everyone. Helping get the economy and country out of hock, keeping investor confidence up and growing employment under atrocious circumstances entitles them to some credit.

But you carry on with your class war or whatever it is gets you aroused.

I don't know if it can be claimed that employment has grown to be honest - the employment figures are greatly skewed by the number of people emigrating.

I think Labour's problem is that they blatantly lied to the electorate in the last election and have now lost touch with most of their voters.

Those posters stating that they wouldn't cut children's allowance if elected probably did the most damage. I fully agreed with the cut in the allowance but Labour's core vote didn't and still don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Lemlin wrote: »
    As much as I generally hate the left wing independents, Ming comes across quite well in any interview I've seen him give recently.

Why he throws his lot in with Mick Wallace and Clare Daly is beyond me.

Wouldn't describe him as left wing really and his only political association with Daly and Wallace is that they are all independents seated in the same section of the Dail chamber.

The lazy media try to dismiss him as a "lefty liberal" type so as to avoid acknowledging any of his policies....

And incidentally his policies are more logical, better thought out and more in line with what people want from government in their daily lives than those of the parties "left" or the establishment parties.

I don't know if it can be claimed that employment has grown to be honest - the employment figures are greatly skewed by the number of people emigrating.

I think Labour's problem is that they blatantly lied to the electorate in the last election and have now lost touch with most of their voters.

Those posters stating that they wouldn't cut children's allowance if elected probably did the most damage. I fully agreed with the cut in the allowance but Labour's core vote didn't and still don't.

If the Labour voters think voting for SF is going to improve anything they are in for a another let down. It wasn't Labour's plan to cut anything - I am sure they had genuine intentions. Their problem was we were not in control of our own finances - borrowing €150 billion tends to have some strings with it.
    I detest everything SF stands for but it would be entertaining to see how they coped with having to operate in the real world. Watch the outrage then.
    And employment is going up at about a thousand jobs a week.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Wouldn't describe him as left wing really and his only political association with Daly and Wallace is that they are all independents seated in the same section of the Dail chamber.

The lazy media try to dismiss him as a "lefty liberal" type so as to avoid acknowledging any of his policies....

And incidentally his policies are more logical, better thought out and more in line with what people want from government in their daily lives than those of the parties "left" or the establishment parties.

He refers to Mick and Clare himself alot when I've seen him speaking. Certainly last week or a couple of weeks ago he made alot of references to them in the TV3 Euro debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Neddyusa wrote: »

He'd be wasted in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,920 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nope, I would lean towards FG mostly, with the occasional other.

I'd never have guessed :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'd never have guessed :pac:

I too was shocked.

Not to mention the lies told by Quinn to the students regarding college fees.
    Disgraceful liars. They will perish like the Greens hopefully.

• Advertisement

If the Labour voters think voting for SF is going to improve anything they are in for a another let down. It wasn't Labour's plan to cut anything - I am sure they had genuine intentions. Their problem was we were not in control of our own finances - borrowing €150 billion tends to have some strings with it.
    I detest everything SF stands for but it would be entertaining to see how they coped with having to operate in the real world. Watch the outrage then.

Cringeworthy.

Emigration?
    Jobbridge?
    Internships?

Cringeworthy.

Emigration?
    Jobbridge?
    Internships?

You really hate good news, don't you?
    No, new companies, expansions, re-hires. Job bridge and interns a tiny part.
    How would emigration contribute to new jobs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

http://www.electio2014.eu/matchyourvote/vote/1

Dear God, I am a FF voter!

I think I need to lie down....

I'm talking about new jobs - not a reduction in dole numbers.

Doesn't matter if it wasn't their plan to cut anything. They made promises which they quite blatantly did not keep.

I love this argument by FG and Labour that they were tied to what had been agreed and the bailout. Did they not realise like the rest of us how bad things were before they went in? It seems even voters could cop it by FF's last general election performance.

The extent of the bailout was known so why make these promises? They had to know they couldn't deliver them. 29 of their own councillors have walked away because of their lies:

http://www.thejournal.ie/labour-councillors-resign-quit-coalition-1152524-Jan2014/

Have you genuine stats to back up this 1,000 jobs a week claim?

My own employer is still not replacing those who leave and I certainly haven't heard of any wide scale employment opportunities of late.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

A lot of the current rhetoric reminds me quite a bit of the UK in the Thatcher/Kinnock years..

Everybody said that they hated the Tories and everything that they were doing and Labour and the Lib/Dems (or whatever they were called back then) did well in Local elections...

But time after time, on General election night , people would quietly go into the polling booths and vote Tory...

I see the same thing happening here - Local Elections and Euro's are a good opportunity for the protest vote as in reality people really don't perceive MEP's or local Councillors impacting their daily lives - They don't raise taxes directly etc..

But... Come general elections, I suspect that voting patterns will be quite different.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'm talking about new jobs - not a reduction in dole numbers.

Are these new jobs where the employee sweats their guts out for forty hours a week for a thankless job that requires them to fund the travelling to and from 'new job' not to mention the lunch expenses, for a fifty quid boost in the Social?

That scam alone should see the current coalition ran from office.

And it's not the system I necessarily disagree with (the routine/experience etc isn't necessarily a bad thing) , it's the way they've allowed all the big operators to abuse it.

Handy to massage unemployment figures though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Have you genuine stats to back up this 1,000 jobs a week claim?

My own employer is still not replacing those who leave and I certainly haven't heard of any wide scale employment opportunities of late.

http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pressreleases/2014pressreleases/pressreleasequarterlynationalhouseholdsurveyquarter42013/
    cso wrote:
    There was an annual increase in employment of 3.3% or 61,000 in the year to the fourth quarter of 2013, bringing total employment to 1,909,800.

• Advertisement

Phoebas wrote: »

Do you think that figure includes jobsbridge? It doesn't specify on the press release.

Advertisement