Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASA Kennedy space centre

Options
  • 18-05-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭

Wow what a place. I visited this and it was amazing so much to do and I didn't get to do it all. The sheer size of the Saturn 5 is mind boggling. I got to see the shuttle Atlantic also.

The tour to go inside the VAB building was finished as they have started work on it for the new shuttles.

They size of the building is immense. The launch pads are pretty cool as well. The more active ones are not on the tour.

Got to touch moon rock.

Anyone who has an interest in space I'd recommend it. Get there early as the special tours book out early and it closes at 5.

If you want to do a tour of the control room you need a passport. I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭ps200306

Didn't realise they had Atlantis there. I was there for its launch in 1989 when it carried the Galileo spacecraft to orbit (on STS-34). For me, the most amazing thing about a shuttle launch was when the raggedy engine sound eventually reached you from several miles away you felt like something was physically beating you on the chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

http://www.digido.com/articles-and-demos12/13-bob-katz/13-we-have-lift-off.html

Enjoy! Proper speakers only. No iPod earticklers. Subs really add welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

they done a class countdown of the launch with all the actual command room lightening up as each person talked and the lights light up etc.

was pretty cool.

i didnt get around to uploading the pictures last night but tonight for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Thats on my bucket list! Bring on the pics!

rather than post a load of images here is a link to a dropbox gallery.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p3tn5www7ztc2vm/AADTliyFz32Zz3BI11aa16VGa

one or two of my favorites though.

2014-04-30%2014.22.35.jpg

2014-04-30%2014.28.26.jpg

2014-04-30%2014.27.34.jpg

2014-04-30%2016.48.12.jpg

hope you enjoy, my camera skills are terrible but i dont like to spend my whole time taking pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Some nice shots there. I particularly like the close up under the lunar lander. Weird huh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Absolutely deadly.

Would love to go there. I still rue the day I decided not to go to Shuttles final launch.

Will probably regret it forever!

Kersh wrote: »
    Absolutely deadly.

Would love to go there. I still rue the day I decided not to go to Shuttles final launch.

Will probably regret it forever!

you might be able to get to one of the new shuttle launches.

i still remember the day seeing the shuttle launch when it was visible from ireland in little old achill island between the clouds. Thanks to mainly the people on here.

I am trying to see one of the ISS supply craft racing after the ISS in order to dock with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

irishgeo wrote: »
    you might be able to get to one of the new shuttle launches.

i still remember the day seeing the shuttle launch when it was visible from ireland in little old achill island between the clouds. Thanks to mainly the people on here.

I am trying to see one of the ISS supply craft racing after the ISS in order to dock with it.

Great to see the photos. I plan to get back there in the next year or so. I visited twice first in 1984 to see the launch of Discovery on STS 41D and then again in 2008 for the launch of Endeavour on STS 126. Really want to get back and see the Orbiter's on display. Discovery is in Washington and Endeavour is out in California. Planning on making a pilgrimage to visit them all on one trip.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 myluck

Hi Great pics u seem to enjoy it,,, we are heading on honeymoon in Oct and are deffo planning to go to Kennedy Space,,, Did u do any tours on it or just gen admission I have been on there web site but cant make out which tour to do,,,,cape can now and then or the KSC up close tour can you tell me if you did either ?? Thanks

• Advertisement

myluck wrote: »
    Hi Great pics u seem to enjoy it,,, we are heading on honeymoon in Oct and are deffo planning to go to Kennedy Space,,, Did u do any tours on it or just gen admission I have been on there web site but cant make out which tour to do,,,,cape can now and then or the KSC up close tour can you tell me if you did either ?? Thanks

there is 3 tours as far as i could tell.The tours book out so maybe book in advance if you can.

a normal tour which is included in your gen admission which brings you on a bus tour but you dont get off until you get to the second tour center.

The up close and personal which i think allows you get off at certain extra spots along the way. I think the FAB building is one but you cant go inside. I am not sure where else it lets you off. I think its lets you off to take pictures.

The cape can now and then, i think is a tour of the misson control rooms. you need your passports so bring them along if you want to do this one.

The 2 other tours were booked out when we got there so i done the normal one included with the general admission . Get there early as possible as it closes at 5pm.

Loads to do and i couldn't get to it all.
    IMAX cinema showing films.
    Shuttle launch simulator.
    The space shuttle and Saturn 5 rocket.
    A shop which i spent a small fortune in.

honestly i spent most of the time walking around with my mouth open in awe.There is some waiting around as you get to the different venues.

budget for a whole day there if you can , its worth it.

any questions please ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

new shuttles? how did i miss that?

emo72 wrote: »
    new shuttles? how did i miss that?

what do you mean?

The tour to go inside the VAB building was finished as they have started work on it for the new shuttles.

this line. i didnt know that there was a new shuttle programme:confused:

this line. i didnt know that there was a new shuttle programme:confused:

yep, work has already started on the VAB building.

the tour guide seemed quite excited about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(spacecraft)

its not like the shuttle though. more like the traditional apollo era rocket launches, parachuting back down on re-entry?

basically no reusable spacecraft?

its not like the shuttle though. more like the traditional apollo era rocket launches, parachuting back down on re-entry?

i guess so , but i was talking in general when i meant "the new shuttle"

ah, at least its something. ive been there 3 times before and find it brilliant. ive missed rocket launches due to postponements:(

im determined to see at least one rocket launch. do they still have the shuttle simulator there? its good craic.

ah, at least its something. ive been there 3 times before and find it brilliant. ive missed rocket launches due to postponements:(

im determined to see at least one rocket launch. do they still have the shuttle simulator there? its good craic.

Yeah it's still there. That really messed with my head. I came off it disorientated for a few seconds. There was a launch the week after I was there but I think it was delayed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 myluck

Thanks a million for the help Irishgeo its a great info to get me started

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

The noise of a shuttle launch there would knock you over. The most amazing sight i have ever seen or heard.

Advertisement