Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Causeway Coast Marathon 27/09/2014

Options
  • 18-05-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Course gps link here.

Race organisers website link here.

2012 race thread here.

I've already registered and started training. This will be my first ever marathon. I know it will be tough. How tough I'll know after the race...

I've read only good things about it from previous years. Has anyone else registered or is thinking about it?

Can we talk about specific training here or better in the general forum?

PS: There are other distances apart from marathon: ultra (40 miles), half marathon, 10k run/walk, challenge walk (26 miles).

Race rating 4 votes

Scenery
    0%
    PB potential
    100%
    inigoQwertyIIISusanneKnnolinejudge 4 votes
    Atmosphere
    0%
    Value
    0%
    Organisation
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 QwertyIII

PB potential
    Did the full last year & the half the year before. Will be doing it again this year, toying with the idea of maybe doing the ultra this year for some reason. Its a bit different than a normal run, makes it a great event.

In terms of training, hills hills & maybe more hills. I didn't exactly fly around the course, but did most of my training, (short & long runs) in the mountains. The beach is the only flat part of the course, which I think is about 3 miles in total. There are quite a few steps in steep parts on narrow paths & a bit of bouldering, so there are parts that you can't run too.

Great run, looking forward to it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

PB potential
    Anyone heading north this weekend? Weather forecast looks perfect. I'm not too nervous yet. I think tomorrow may be a different story though...

PB potential
    Looks like its only us.
    Really looking forward to it, ended up not going for the ultra though, just liked the idea of a only running 26, instead of 39 miles along the coast. Hopefully the weather is good, it really makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭inigo

PB potential
    In a weekend of epic races and world records, I have accomplished my own feat. It may be smaller in comparison but not in what it means to me.

So I did it! 1st ever marathon! I couldn't have chosen a better one! Excellent organisation, stunning scenery, fantastic atmosphere! And the weather was just perfect.

It was tough, really tough: 5:23:02. Tarmac, trail, steps, sand, slippery rocks with the waves breaking inches away from your feet... And I would still do it again! Particularly running the last few yards and crossing the finish line holding my boys hands!

I can't stop watching the video and getting a bit emotional. I believe they have managed to capture it all so well! Watch for yourselves and give it a go next year. I can't recommend it highly enough!

PS: QuertyIII, how's the recovery going?? It was really nice to meet you and to run with you the first few miles!

PB potential
    Have to recommend it too, well organised, it has every terrian you can think of. It's a tough marathon and the last few miles you quickly begin to hate steps!!!

Congrats again on your first marathon inigo, your next one will be signficantly easier. Great photo of you crossing the line with your boys. The recovery is good, back into the swing of things for dublin now. Stomach wasn't great so ended up walking the last few miles, so think that saved my legs etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement