Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with bill for usage after leaving previous rented accommodation

Options
  • 18-05-2014 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an issue with a bill for gas usage incurred after I left rented accommodation on 4 November. I have described it on a thread on the accommodation & property forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057212091

I contacted you about closing the account when I moved. I was advised not to close the gas account as I would risk being charged with the disconnection fee if it was not taken over within 10 days. Now I am receiving legal demands from you to pay for gas usage after I left. I have contacted the letting agent and landlord who refuse to take responsibility for it.

Post 6 of this thread describes a similar situation, where someone was being charged for usage after vacating the property. In this case the provider was able to contact the agency and verify the new tenancy. I can provide contact details for the letting agent and the phone number for the landlord. However when I called your customer service on receipt of the legal demand I was told that you do not make outgoing calls.

This is a difficult and unfair situation I am in, and would thank you to assist in resolving it promptly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi Blatantrereg,

Thank you for contacting us with this query. Firstly, I'm sorry to read of the difficulty you've had in arranging the closure of your gas account. If your landlord can contact us, and confirm that the property should have been registered in his name between when you moved out and when it was taken over by the new tenant, then we can process the transfer of the recorded usage and outstanding balance.

Could you please PM us with your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number registered on the account? Could you also please confirm if you are the account holder? Once we have this information, I will take a look at the contact you made in November, and follow up with the information you have detailed above regarding being advised to not close your account. All our calls are recorded, so we will certainly investigate the information you were given.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Hi Blatantrereg,

Thank you for contacting us with this query. Firstly, I'm sorry to read of the difficulty you've had in arranging the closure of your gas account. If your landlord can contact us, and confirm that the property should have been registered in his name between when you moved out and when it was taken over by the new tenant, then we can process the transfer of the recorded usage and outstanding balance.

Could you please PM us with your Electric Ireland account number, full name, address and contact number registered on the account? Could you also please confirm if you are the account holder? Once we have this information, I will take a look at the contact you made in November, and follow up with the information you have detailed above regarding being advised to not close your account. All our calls are recorded, so we will certainly investigate the information you were given.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

Thanks for your assistance. I will PM the details later today when I have them to hand. (I am using a mobile to post this.)

The landlord is not accepting responsibilty and is refusing to communicate, so he won't call you. I will pursue the matter via the PRTB. I do not know how long this will take, especially as I don't believe either tenancy was registered. I can provide you with contact details for the agency and the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭EI: Aoife O

Hi Blatantrereg,

Thanks for keeping us updated. Do send on the account details when you get a chance, and we'll be happy to assist. We're here until 6pm this evening, otherwise we can look into this for you when we're in tomorrow at 8am.

Kind regards,
    Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Thanks. I've PMed you my details.

Advertisement