Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone know an irish supplier of seasoned wood shanks for walking sticks

Options
  • 18-05-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi my partner wants to try his hand at making walking sticks. This involves seasoned wood that must be dried for over a year. Anyone we found in the UK that supplies this type of wood charges crazy shipping prices. Like 80 sterling for 3 sticks...when the wood itself costs only £30 for 3 sticks. Anyone know of any irish suppliers at a reasonable price? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

What wood species are we talking about. ? There must be a supply of blackthorn somewhere in the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 louiseak

recipio wrote: »
    What wood species are we talking about. ? There must be a supply of blackthorn somewhere in the country ?

Blackthorn or hazel would do nicely... Both of which have to be dried for a year or so according to the forums. He doesn't want to wait that long!

louiseak wrote: »
    Blackthorn or hazel would do nicely... Both of which have to be dried for a year or so according to the forums. He doesn't want to wait that long!

:rolleyes: Plenty of hazel sticks for sale on #bay for reasonable money. They all specify UK postage only so maybe ask Parcel Motel if they will accept one metre long packages for delivery or use a courier.?
    The town of Shillelagh in Co Wicklow is famous for blackthorn production so worth investigating a source there ?
    Its one of those native crafts like basketmaking which requires a few years for the wood to mature so your partner might have to be patient !

• Registered Users Posts: 8 louiseak

recipio wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Plenty of hazel sticks for sale on #bay for reasonable money. They all specify UK postage only so maybe ask Parcel Motel if they will accept one metre long packages for delivery or use a courier.?
    The town of Shillelagh in Co Wicklow is famous for blackthorn production so worth investigating a source there ?
    Its one of those native crafts like basketmaking which requires a few years for the wood to mature so your partner might have to be patient !

Yup noticed them on ebay alright...strange that they don't ship to Ire. The dude that was willing to ship them for 80 quid (for just 3 sticks) said they were very expensive to post because of length and height. Good idea on the Parcel Motel suggestion though. Must check it out. Thanks Recipio :)

PM will process oversized items and charge 10 euro for delivery.I just let them know if I've ordered a big package so they can keep an eye out. The 10 kg max weight is a bit limiting but that's life. Ebay sellers in the UK seem to be happy to quote for postage as long as you have a UK postcode but the good old ROI seems to throw them -£80 for three sticks is just nuts.! I try to get freepost to NI to make ordering as painless as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Sorry to highjack this thread but I was wondering if there is anywhere in Ireland that I can get brass ferrules for fitting tips to walking sticks? I know that you can order them from the UK but I was hoping to get them in Ireland.

Advertisement