Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

big fat fatty :( typical days eating for someone trying to lose weight?

• 18-05-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Can someone let me know a typicals day eating. Have 4 stone to lose and my fitness app told me im eating 80% carbs but only 10% fat and 10% protein. Im just confused really. What wouldeveryone elses day be like. This is mine.

2 weetabix and muller light yogurt.
    Banana
    Mugshot with 4 ryvita
    Apple
    Either chicken with rice&veg or tuna with pasta and veg or baked potato and chicken.
    Two after eights with cuppa coffee

Hrs exercise

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Have you used anything like an app to figure out how many calories you consume per day?

Have you weighed your food?

For example, do you add anything to your ryvita?Milk or sugar to hot drinks? Sauces/butter/fat to dinner? Quantities of food?

Easiest way to start is to figure out exactly how many calories you eat on an average day, then use an app like myfitnesspal to figure out your maintenance calories. Then eat 500 less than maintenance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What is a mugshot?

Stheno wrote: »
    What is a mugshot?

It's like instant noodles, only with thicker pasta, that you put into a mug and add hot water to. Similar to a pot noodle.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭petals rocks1

Hey thanks for reply
    No I dont weigh my food. Well ive a all plate of dinner. My breakfast and lunch there isnt any weighing to it

I signed up to my fitness pal and the food i listed comes to 1248 calories and my allowance goin by that app is 1300

Dont take milk in tea or coffee. Dont take sauces . Dont add anythin. Take dry ryvita.
    Have you used anything like an app to figure out how many calories you consume per day?

Have you weighed your food?

For example, do you add anything to your ryvita?Milk or sugar to hot drinks? Sauces/butter/fat to dinner? Quantities of food?

Easiest way to start is to figure out exactly how many calories you eat on an average day, then use an app like myfitnesspal to figure out your maintenance calories. Then eat 500 less than maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How do you quantify what you put into MFP if you haven't weighed it? Is it guesswork?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Can someone let me know a typicals day eating. Have 4 stone to lose and my fitness app told me im eating 80% carbs but only 10% fat and 10% protein. Im just confused really. What wouldeveryone elses day be like. This is mine.

2 weetabix and muller light yogurt. (Mainly carbs, unless you have milk with the weetabix?)
    Banana (Mainly carbs again)
    Mugshot with 4 ryvita (Carbs again)
    Apple (Carbs)
    Either chicken with rice&veg or tuna with pasta and veg or baked potato and chicken. (this is where you are getting fat and protein along with carbs)
    Two after eights with cuppa coffee

Hrs exercise
    Hey thanks for reply
    No I dont weigh my food. Well ive a all plate of dinner. My breakfast and lunch there isnt any weighing to it

I signed up to my fitness pal and the food i listed comes to 1248 calories and my allowance goin by that app is 1300

Dont take milk in tea or coffee. Dont take sauces . Dont add anythin. Take dry ryvita.

Ok, you need to start to weigh your food. E.g. think of how a small banana can be half the size of a large banana that's twice the calories.

Any myfitnesspal, while being good at helping you log what you eat once you put it in accurately tends to be very blanket on what calories you need.

Can you post up your height and weight? Also read this Nutrition 101 post number three will help you work out what you need calorie wise on a daily basis.

Your diet does seem very low in fat and protein iirc, the usual recommendation is 40/30/30 in terms of carbs/fats/proteins but I may be wrong

Do you tend to find yourself feeling quite tired an hour or so after eating most of the time?

Ok so i have 2 weetabix in morn. No weighin on that or a muller light yogurt. No weighing in mug shot or ryvitas. As for having a banana its the fun size ones ya get in tesco. They are small. As for dinners. Half a cup of rice with breast chickeb and veg. Half cup pasta and tuna and veg or baked potato with breast cmhicken and a big tin of sugar free beans. No weighin involved. Maybe i go for
    convenience foods and need to change that

Errrr im embarrased to say im 5 foot 7 and 17 stone :(

Meant to say i drink two litres of water.

No i dont feel tired an hr after eating

Plus thanks for reply
    Stheno wrote: »
    Ok, you need to start to weigh your food. E.g. think of how a small banana can be half the size of a large banana that's twice the calories.

Any myfitnesspal, while being good at helping you log what you eat once you put it in accurately tends to be very blanket on what calories you need.

Can you post up your height and weight? Also read this Nutrition 101 post number three will help you work out what you need calorie wise on a daily basis.

Your diet does seem very low in fat and protein iirc, the usual recommendation is 40/30/30 in terms of carbs/fats/proteins but I may be wrong

Do you tend to find yourself feeling quite tired an hour or so after eating most of the time?

If you are genuinely eating as few calories as you say, and weigh that much, I think you should have a chat with your GP, as most people would lose weight eating that, even with the carbs.

Try porridge, or bacon and eggs in the morning. Something with more protein for lunch (seriously, most people would be starving after one of those mugshot things!).

That is what i do eat but finding last few weeks esp after a 24 €hr internittent fast...ive fallen off the wagon. Starving anf have had a blow out! Maybe if i did change my food i wouldnt binge every few weeks
    If you are genuinely eating as few calories as you say, and weigh that much, I think you should have a chat with your GP, as most people would lose weight eating that, even with the carbs.

Try porridge, or bacon and eggs in the morning. Something with more protein for lunch (seriously, most people would be starving after one of those mugshot things!).

• Advertisement

That is what i do eat but finding last few weeks esp after a 24 €hr internittent fast...ive fallen off the wagon. Starving anf have had a blow out! Maybe if i did change my food i wouldnt binge every few weeks

24 hour fasting works for some people, but not all. God knows if I fast, I end up eating utter rubbish the next day because when I'm starving, I want jump food.

Try switching some of those carbs for protein, like chicken, bacon, eggs, tuna, etc.

Really though, if you're eating that little and not losing anything, you should speak to your doctor.

Start weighing out your food, and using my fitnesspal to help you track that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

You are clearly under eating foods that have very little nutrition, that is why you are hungry all the time and bingeging. Trying to do 24hr fasts without having a solid base of a decent diet or decent info regarding diet will also lead to bingeing and overeating. You need to read up on foods and nutrition for the next few months, in the mean time, keep the foods fresh as possible and nutritious as possible i.e. eggs, fish, liver, kidneys beans, chickpeas, veg, fruit, meats, poultry, potatoes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I also agree that you're not eating enough and most of the foods youre eating are high in sugar and carbs (also sugar) and are processed.

The muller light yoghurt has very little nutrition in it so swap for a full fat yoghurt like glenisk or a natural one with berries. You'd be amazed that they probably have equal calories, perhaps the full fat has more fat which isn't a bad thing, but there's more nutritional value than the muller.

A mugshot and ryvita is a dismal lunch. Again very processed and full of carbs.
    Swap for some salad and chicken/fish.

A banana as a snack is more carbs and sugar as is an apple.

Sugar free baked beans are still full of sugar and carbs so eat fresh vegetables instead.

I agree that you need to read up on nutrition and start planning a balanced daily menu. Fats and protein aren't bad and you need to have a reasonable amount of them in your diet. Too many carbs are definitely not good for you. I'd say equal amounts of fats/protein/carbs or even more fats/protein over carbs.

If you're under eating you won't necessarily lose weight especially if most of what you eat is sugar and carbs (more sugar)

Advertisement