Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Distribution Centre, Donabate

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I regularly cycle along Newbridge Avenue, the road at the back of the distribution centre, and notive more noise from my bike than from the building (it's very quiet)! I terms of light, again heading along Newbridge Avenue when it's dark I need my lights on fully - I get no illumination whatsoever from the building. TBH you would hardly know it's there from the persepctive of sound and/or light it gives off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Beasty wrote: »
    I regularly cycle along Newbridge Avenue, the road at the back of the distribution centre, and notive more noise from my bike than from the building (it's very quiet)! I terms of light, again heading along Newbridge Avenue when it's dark I need my lights on fully - I get no illumination whatsoever from the building. TBH you would hardly know it's there from the persepctive of sound and/or light it gives off.

I live fairly close to there too and tbh the donkeys from Newbridge make more of a racket ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

Thanks for the local knowledge.
    Newbridge Avenue is a lovely leafy road, although I've only ever been on it at the weekend. Is it quiet during the week or does it act as a handy commuting shortcut?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I cycle near it on an almost daily basis and have never noticed any noise from it. Truck movements (mainly Eddie Stobart) at the entrance roundabout are really the only evidence of it being there.

(PS - I doubt very much that it is 1.3km long. I'd say about 800m.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Thanks for the local knowledge.
    Newbridge Avenue is a lovely leafy road, although I've only ever been on it at the weekend. Is it quiet during the week or does it act as a handy commuting shortcut?

Its always quiet in my experience , it's a bit awkward to get in and out of so usually people don't bother. Also it used to be a horrendously poor quality road (like more boreen/dirt track than anything) so most I think don't go near it out of habit.

Used to be locally known as "lovers lane " back in the day ;)

• Advertisement

... Is it quiet during the week or does it act as a handy commuting shortcut?
    It's quiet and it wouldn't be a shortcut to anywhere.(also known as 'Cobb's Lane' - former owners of Newbridge House).

If you're buying there do a flood check if there is such a thing. That whole area was under water during the big flooding several years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

(PS - I doubt very much that it is 1.3km long. I'd say about 800m.)

Sorry, i don't know where i read 1.3km. You are correct.
    http://www.ireland-for-real.com/largest-building-in-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It is bright though, you can see it from the nags head and even pick it out from Fourknocks at night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It is bright though, you can see it from the nags head and even pick it out from Fourknocks at night

Very much a light pollution source when there are any low clouds to reflect the light back down, could probably fix it easy enough if they fitted some kind of shades to the floodlamps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Very much a light pollution source when there are any low clouds to reflect the light back down, could probably fix it easy enough if they fitted some kind of shades to the floodlamps

and if they painted the shed black.... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

and if they painted the shed black.... ;)

Jeez if it's refelected light being reflected back again! they'd probably need to provide sunglasses to all their night shift employees as a H&S issue :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I wonder do people realise exactly how big this building is on an international scale:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_buildings_in_the_world
    I know I for one had no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Cycle past the entrance 2-3 times a week,I must say the Eddie Stobart drivers in the area are as a whole very aware of cyclist and give plenty of room.

...I must say the Eddie Stobart drivers in the area are as a whole very aware of cyclist and give plenty of room.
    That could possibly be a legacy of former days when it was a family business run by Eddie and Edward Stobart who expected their drivers to uphold very high standards in driving and appearance.

(Just as an aside, next time you are close to one of their trucks, look at the bottom of the tractor unit doors. Each of their thousands of trucks is given an individual name (almost always female).

Advertisement