Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lodging a cheque regarding a deceased relative

Options
  • 18-05-2014 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A relative died and while canceling his policies we received a refund in the form of a Bank of Ireland cheque.

It's addressed "The Reps Of The Late *Relative's Name*".

I'm his brother and have a death cert and ID, do I need anything else if I was to lodge it to my own account?

Also the cheque was dated on Oct 2013 (it was forgotten amid a stack of files and other documents and only rediscovered recently). Would this be a problem with the cheque been 7 months old?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

The cheque is out of date after 6 months. Give who ever send it a call and ask them can it be re dated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Champ

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.

We are sorry to hear of your relatives passing.

As amber2 correctly mentions, a cheque is only valid for a period of 6 months. It will be necessary to contact the issuer of this cheque and ask them to arrange another for you.

In relation to lodging a cheque with these particulars, we would recommend to bring the cheque to one of the branches you are lodging the cheque to and allow branch staff to physically see this cheque. We are unsure if you are a Bank of Ireland customer yourself. For example, if it is a crossed cheque it can only be lodged to an account in that person's name. 

If you are lodging to a Bank of Ireland Account, here is a list of all our branch locations.

If we can help again, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks
    Alison

Advertisement