Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Warning - Post 2538 (Read before Posting)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's up to the forum mods.
    That said I agree with adding the mod warning in the OP, please read that first before responding to the thread anyway (at least most of the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It really does grate on me to see *Read post 2538 before posting*. It's giving every single poster who joins a thread late uneccesary effort while it would take one mod seconds to simplify the whole thing.

Hear, hear.

And unless I missed something during the moderator orientation weekend while I was getting that deep tissue massage by the Thai girl in the bikini, isn't it through the OP you've to edit the title anyway? So like, while you're there why not just quote the post, it takes very little time at all.

I know I personally tend to just steer clear of threads with titles like the ones the OP is on about, or else I'm just going to ignore the warning completely and post as if it's not there and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    And unless I missed something during the moderator orientation weekend while I was getting that deep tissue massage by the Thai girl in the bikini, isn't it through the OP you've to edit the title anyway?

Nope, I just double click on the thread title on the forum page!

Nope, I just double click on the thread title on the forum page!

Hmmm, this isn't the first time a scantily clad woman rubbing oil all over me has meant I missed out on something important... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    isn't it through the OP you've to edit the title anyway?
    Nope 2: you can edit the thread title on any page by clicking 'Thread tools' on the top of the thread, and 'Edit Thread'. This brings you to a page with just the title and Mod notes and a couple of other options.

Incidentally, that's on the "Moderation 101 [Q+A]" thread in the ZatAoM forum, the forum that is there to help Mods with any questions about modding... She must be very scantily clad ;)

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Nope 2: you can edit the thread title on any page by clicking 'Thread tools' on the top of the thread, and 'Edit Thread'. This brings you to a page with just the title and Mod notes and a couple of other options.

Incidentally, that's on the "Moderation 101 [Q+A]" thread in the ZatAoM forum, the forum that is there to help Mods with any questions about modding... She must be very scantily clad ;)

Phoebe Cates by the pool in Fast Times looks like she's wearing a hijab compared to this girl...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

It really does grate on me to see *Read post 2538 before posting*. It's giving every single poster who joins a thread late uneccesary effort while it would take one mod seconds to simplify the whole thing.

to add, the touch site doesn't have post numbers (unless I'm blind) so trying to find a random post on touch is pointless

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I agree with the OP.

The way we do it in After Hours is this.

If it's a quick warning to cut the sniping or bickering, an on thread warning is posted and those active on the thread will see it. These are pretty effective to get the thread back on track at that particular time.

If it's a warning that something is not going to be tolerated anywhere on thread, we will post the mod warning as above, and in addition copy it to the opening post and change the thread title *read OP before posting* or similar. This means that those active on the thread will see it immediately, and those joining a thread later on will know the rules from the outset.

Something like *read OP before posting* often works for a warning. It would not be much use for example in the Soccer Superthreads, as it would require regulars to keep checking back to the OP to keep up-to-date.

A change in either time or date to the title or perhaps number of updates might solve it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

dfx- wrote: »
    Something like *read OP before posting* often works for a warning. It would not be much use for example in the Soccer Superthreads, as it would require regulars to keep checking back to the OP to keep up-to-date.

A change in either time or date to the title or perhaps number of updates might solve it.

In a forum like soccer I believe every superthread should be titled for example "Liverpool superthread-be a dick get carded-only warning" Then stock up on yellow/red cards. I'd put it in the charter also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Dades wrote: »
    Just looked at that thread and there was a warning in the thread which was both put in the OP AND referenced in the thread title.

So you don't really have an excuse, sorry.

That example is a good example. I understand mods don't always have time to add warnings (or links to them) to the OP - it can be a pain on mobile, for example - but it's a better practice.

However the reality is if a mod issues a warning, it has been communicated and posters should be deemed to be aware of it.

I've seen a bit of fun been had in private forums were a mod jokingly created a post, or edited one to be before the op. Can this be a possible suggestion for mod warnings?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not sure how they'd do that. Maybe move an older post into a new thread or something, or merge another thread with an older post. Bit finicky, tbh.

Unconvinced there's too much wrong with leaving a note in the first post (w00t), as long as the OP's post isn't edited.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Dades wrote: »
    Not sure how they'd do that. Maybe move an older post into a new thread or something, or merge another thread with an older post. Bit finicky, tbh.

Unconvinced there's too much wrong with leaving a note in the first post (w00t), as long as the OP's post isn't edited.
    Copy a post that pre-dates the OP and edit it. Had to figure that one out for doing a new charter for LD a few months ago.

Advertisement