Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired Network to Wireless signal.

Options
  • 18-05-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,

I have a problem with my wired network system. I have a wallplate attached to wall, in my apartment, which can take an RJ45 ethernet cable. (Cable originates back at the apartment block entrance, not on my property) I have a patch cable from wallplate to 5 port network switch. However, I do not have a wireless signal in my apartment, it's too weak.

Is it possible to buy some device that will attach to my network switch, via an ethernet Cat5e cable and send out a wireless signal. I do not wish to rewire as I am only a tenant and I need a signal in Kitchen, Bedroom, etc.

I would very much appreciate any help/suggestions.
    regards,

john .jgcork29

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I assume the internet comes with the apartment so if you install a router with wireless capability you want to disable DHCP on it to avoid ip conflicts with the central router.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 john.jgcork29

Hi 5uspect and FSL,

Thanks for the suggestions and help. A router is incorporated into a Modem???

How do I disable the DHCP of a Router and will the Modem component be redundant???

Thanks again and I await your knowledge and suggestions

Regards,

john.jgcork29

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

So if I understand correctly your apartment is provided internet access via a single RJ45 point and you want to provide this access wirelessly throughout your apartment? Then you are looking for something that will act as a wireless 'access point' to your wireless devices.

Something like http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA901ND-Advanced-300Mbps-Wireless/dp/B002YETVXC/ should do this when configured as access point (AP).

• Registered Users Posts: 14 john.jgcork29

Hi Degsie,

Yes, I have one outlet RJ45 port in my front room, there are three apartments in our building, each have one Ethernet cable outlet. The wireless signal is located in the ground floor Apartment, which I am unable to access; I am on the third floor. I fitted a 5-Port Switch to the Ethernet port on wall. From this Network switch I have a wired connection to my TV and one to my Desktop Computer, however all are located in one room.

I want the ability to use a Tablet PC and an Internet Radio in my bedroom and if a visitors stays over, to have a wireless broadband connection throughout.

Can I use the device you mentioned to plug into my Network switch, so that I can continue to have the wired connections and create a wireless signal throughout the apartment?

I hope all this makes sense?

I appreciate all the suggestions to date and await a response to this my latest query.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Can I use the device you mentioned to plug into my Network switch, so that I can continue to have the wired connections and create a wireless signal throughout the apartment?

This should work, although personally I'd rather use a router (ideally with a built-in firewall) to improve security. If the network is set up in such a way that all the apartments are on the same flat network, then any of your neighbours could potentially connect to any of your devices if you haven't secured them properly.

Advertisement