Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lc science

• 18-05-2014 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Help either physics or chem for lc ? What course is shorter and easier i kind of prefer chemistry in jc im a c student in jc higher maths i only like science and im wondering is physics chemistry and biology a good idea ?? ( definately doing biology i. Love it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Chemistry is quite a difficult subject I think, although I just have no flare for it. Quite a big course too, but exam papers are fairly predictable. From what I hear physics isn't a big course and you have a fair bit of choice in the paper.

If science is what you definitely want to do as you say it is, there's no reason not to do all three.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

robman60 wrote: »
    Chemistry is quite a difficult subject I think, although I just have no flare for it. Quite a big course too, but exam papers are fairly predictable. From what I hear physics isn't a big course and you have a fair bit of choice in the paper.

If science is what you definitely want to do as you say it is, there's no reason not to do all three.

Thanks thats helpful :) would you say the chem papers predictable enough to get an A1 by narrowing it down? Is there alot to write in the paper ! I looked at past papers the only hard things on it is the experiments i think!

Well it depends how lucky you are in narrowing it down and how narrow you make it! :)

I didn't mean you should narrow down the course but focusing on papers from Christmas of LC onwards is probably advisable. I'd also advise you to avoid doing Q8 as there's a large amount of content and you only need 8/11 anyway. I kind of regret doing that section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

Conaaaa wrote: »
    Thanks thats helpful :) would you say the chem papers predictable enough to get an A1 by narrowing it down? Is there alot to write in the paper ! I looked at past papers the only hard things on it is the experiments i think!

The paper's very short, but if you don't have an aptitude for it you won't get an A. It all revolves around understanding.

Well it depends how lucky you are in narrowing it down and how narrow you make it! :)

I didn't mean you should narrow down the course but focusing on papers from Christmas of LC onwards is probably advisable. I'd also advise you to avoid doing Q8 as there's a large amount of content and you only need 8/11 anyway. I kind of regret doing that section.
    Oh okay , are you in lc now or did you do it ? Did any of youre friends do chem and physics and find one easier ! Im not great at maths like

• Advertisement

Oh okay , are you in lc now or did you do it ? Did any of youre friends do chem and physics and find one easier ! Im not great at maths like
    I'm in LC currently, I got 72% in the mocks but I don't think I'm counting it for points. There are only two people who do both in my year, so I can't give you a very representative sample. They're both only average at maths and that makes physics very difficult according to the two of them.

I'm in LC currently, I got 72% in the mocks but I don't think I'm counting it for points. There are only two people who do both in my year, so I can't give you a very representative sample. They're both only average at maths and that makes physics very difficult according to the two of them.

Ya okay thanks ill do ag science instead !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

From what I've heard physics is a bit of a nightmare unless it's your thing. Everyone in my year besides maybe two who really love science are having some trouble with it, chemistry definitely seems to be the safer choice although it isn't for everyone...

How are you doing in JC science?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

I do both and although Chemistry is more repetitive/predictable, I find Physics by far to be easier. Chemistry does have a shorter course however there are a lot more concepts you need to understand, whereas in Physics you can just learn the stuff off.

If you're stuck with having to choose between the two I'd go with Physics. The maths side of it is not difficult at all, there are a few students in my class doing OL maths who aren't struggling at all. It's just a matter of plugging information into formulae for the most part.

Hotale.com wrote: »
    From what I've heard physics is a bit of a nightmare unless it's your thing. Everyone in my year besides maybe two who really love science are having some trouble with it, chemistry definitely seems to be the safer choice although it isn't for everyone...

How are you doing in JC science?

Unreel at jc science getting bs in physics and as in chem and bio

• Advertisement

Daniel2590 wrote: »
    I do both and although Chemistry is more repetitive/predictable, I find Physics by far to be easier. Chemistry does have a shorter course however there are a lot more concepts you need to understand, whereas in Physics you can just learn the stuff off.

If you're stuck with having to choose between the two I'd go with Physics. The maths side of it is not difficult at all, there are a few students in my class doing OL maths who aren't struggling at all. It's just a matter of plugging information into formulae for the most part.
    Thanks would you say physics is a very short course, is the exam easy enough to get an a1 even if your bad at maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Chemistry is a much more predictable exam and a shorter course but it does require a lot of understanding of the experiments as that is what most of the exam is based on. Maths part is easy. I really hated chemistry at first but as the year is coming to an end I'm finding it a lot easier when I'm going back over it. You should be finishing the course before your mocks, that's how short it is. Not sure about physics although as mentioned above I hear its easier than chemistry.
    Again this is coming from someone who really hated chemistry to begin with!

AulBiddy wrote: »
    Chemistry is a much more predictable exam and a shorter course but it does require a lot of understanding of the experiments as that is what most of the exam is based on. Maths part is easy. I really hated chemistry at first but as the year is coming to an end I'm finding it a lot easier when I'm going back over it. You should be finishing the course before your mocks, that's how short it is. Not sure about physics although as mentioned above I hear its easier than chemistry.
    Again this is coming from someone who really hated chemistry to begin with!

Thanks would. You say its managable to get an a1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

There is no subject at Leaving Cert level that is "easy" to get an A1 in.

You do not have to be very good at Maths to do well in Physics - it is all fairly basic. Mostly just manipulation of formula and being able to use scientific notation.

Kyro wrote: »
    There is no subject at Leaving Cert level that is "easy" to get an A1 in.

You do not have to be very good at Maths to do well in Physics - it is all fairly basic. Mostly just manipulation of formula and being able to use scientific notation.

You do physics ya? Is there alot of learnimg and understanding ? More than biology for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Kyro

You do physics ya? Is there alot of learnimg and understanding ? More than biology for example

I do Physics. Hmm, is there a lot of learning? Not really, not compared to Biology anyway. Like you have to learn off your definitions and stuff but the rest of it is mostly understanding and solving problems. The experiments are easy and are easy marks on the test.

Kyro wrote: »
    I do Physics. Hmm, is there a lot of learning? Not really, not compared to Biology anyway. Like you have to learn off your definitions and stuff but the rest of it is mostly understanding and solving problems. The experiments are easy and are easy marks on the test.

Thats so helpful, is the reading question in physics easy or what?! Is it comprehending or what? Is the paper repetitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Thats so helpful, is the reading question in physics easy or what?! Is it comprehending or what? Is the paper repetitive

I assume you mean Q11 by the reading question. It often has nothing to do with what is being asked. It might serve as an introductory topic with a few figures thrown into it which might be used in one question, but often questions are asked on all topics on the course in that particular one.

You also need to get out of the 'is it easy to get an A1 in physics/chemistry?' mentality. There is no easy subject in the LC, if there was everyone would be doing it. As are acheiveable in any subject, but they come with hard work, practice and often an aptitude for the subject. If you work hard over the next two years you will get the grade you deserve.

Your current focus should probably be on your junior cert and trying to bring your B grades to A grades if you're that way inclined.

Is the paper repetitive
    I doubt it's repetitive as your posts are currently. :pac:

Rainbowtrout is right. You need to focus on getting the "easy As" in Junior Cert because you won't see many easy ones at LC level!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

If you're only a C maths student I doubt you'd manage an A1 in Physics quite honestly, and you'd be unlikely to get an A1 in Chemistry - you probably could in Biology mind.

I'm judging this based on my own year. No one who's on track for an A in Physics or Chemistry in my year got below a B in JC Maths - but two or three who are likely to get an A in Biology did so.

I'd recommend Chemistry personally, it's more friendly to the less maths orientated :) I do both Physics and Chemistry for what it's worth, I like them both :D

Anyway, you don't need to get an A to do well at third level, certainly not. You just need passion and work ethic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 pajc

I do both and to be honest a lot depends on the teacher. Although you have to be capable and willing to work hard to get an A, some teachers enable you to get an instant understanding of difficult topics while others dont. Both courses are reasonably short compared to most. Maths should not be an issue for either although physics is more challenging in this aspect. Physics and chemistry can be challenging for a lot of students so if your looking for an easy A I wouldnt advise either. I would certainly recommend that you ask current lc students about the teachers when making your decision.

Advertisement