Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ger Canning

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Remember a game years ago - Cork v Galway (1990?). Anyway one of the Galway forwards bearing down on goal, Cunnigham comes out and takes the sliothar straight into the face, deflecting it out sideways for a 65. Canning basically says:

"He shoots, and misses!"
    'What a chance that was'
    "oh......umpires signalled for a '65"
    "Must have touched a defender"

All the while missing the clue that Cunningham was stretched out with blood pumping from his nose. I was only a kid then but still couldn't believe someone so out of touch with whats happening on the field was on TV. I sometimes wonder is he looking at the game at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

Marty Morrisey, Jimmy Magee and Jimmy Smyth are my favourite GAA commentators, particular Jimmy Smyth.

I can't stand Darragh Maloney.

Tomas OSe used the "yer man" alot yesterday on the panel while Brolly rolled snot with his fingers

and joseph made a big blood hurdling cough just when they were going to cut to the ad breaks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

orangesoda wrote: »
    Marty Morrisey, Jimmy Magee and Jimmy Smyth are my favourite GAA commentators, particular Jimmy Smyth.

I can't stand Darragh Maloney.

A tenner says you are a big Brian Carthy fan too. :D

ProudDUB wrote: »
    A tenner says you are a big Brian Carthy fan too. :D

can't say i've heard of him

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

keith16 wrote: »
    Marty Morrisey is the same. Offers nothing. Can't read the game at all.

WHAT A GOAL or WHAT A SAVE is used to describe every single save or goal.

Stats flash up on screen and his response is genuine surprise.

"And look at that...Tyrone have mode over 200 fist passes......."

Never critical of any players / mangers or officials.

I remember when Donegal beat Cork in the AI semi in 2012. Karl Lacey pops it over the bar from about 15 yards out straight in front of the goal. Marty, who is well up on the Donegal bandwagon at this stage, exclaims : "OH WHAT A GREAT SCORE." FFS like you'd put it over with a wellington.

Also the way he uses player's nicknames is cringeworthy. You'd swear Marty was best pals with them.

It shows though, even if you don't have talent you can make up for it if have enough neck and belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I remember when Donegal beat Cork in the AI semi in 2012. Karl Lacey pops it over the bar from about 15 yards out straight in front of the goal. Marty, who is well up on the Donegal bandwagon at this stage, exclaims : "OH WHAT A GREAT SCORE." FFS like you'd put it over with a wellington.

Also the way he uses player's nicknames is cringeworthy. You'd swear Marty was best pals with them.

It shows though, even if you don't have talent you can make up for it if have enough neck and belief.

Star! Star!!!! STAR!!!!! STAR!!!!!!! STAR!!!!!!!!!!!! STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shut the f*ck up Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Star! Star!!!! STAR!!!!! STAR!!!!!!! STAR!!!!!!!!!!!! STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shut the f*ck up Marty.

OOHHHHH a faboluss point by the Gooch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

OOHHHHH a faboluss point by the Gooch

The man is cringe personified.

I was on a flight from Berlin a few years back, around the same time as Euro 2012.

I take my seat and see Marty himself sauntering on. He sits in the row in front of me thankfully.

No sooner than he sat down when he started yapping to the chap beside him. He might have well started poking him with a hurly and said "DO YA KNOW WHO I AM HAA?? DO YA?? I'M THE FOOTBALL TALKY MAN FROM TELLY SO I AM. D'YA KNOW THAT? I'M ON TELLY"

• Advertisement

Of the two I'd take Marty ahead of Canning because at least you know the guy is mad about GAA. Canning seems more like a man just doing a job.

keith16 wrote: »
    The man is cringe personified.

I was on a flight from Berlin a few years back, around the same time as Euro 2012.

I take my seat and see Marty himself sauntering on. He sits in the row in front of me thankfully.

No sooner than he sat down when he started yapping to the chap beside him. He might have well started poking him with a hurly and said "DO YA KNOW WHO I AM HAA?? DO YA?? I'M THE FOOTBALL TALKY MAN FROM TELLY SO I AM. D'YA KNOW THAT? I'M ON TELLY"

*insert forehead joke here*

In fairness Marry seems like a nice guy, just a bit of an eejit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

OK I'll say it....
    *deep breath*
    I actually enjoy Marty Morrissey's commentaries in general.

And I also love Ger Canning's commentary for the greatest goal in the history of the game, especially the high pitched squeal at the end. Certainly wasn't faking excitement in that case:

OK I'll say it....
    *deep breath*
    I actually enjoy Marty Morrissey's commentaries in general.

And I also love Ger Canning's commentary for the greatest goal in the history of the game, especially the high pitched squeal at the end. Certainly wasn't faking excitement in that case:

Meath man of course :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Timmy McCarthy did a few GAA games in his time.

The man is passionate if nothing else, he's like the anti-Canning :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Martin Carney is fairly annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think Ger Canning just commentates in the moment. If a team is up in a game he talks that team up at every opportunity. If a team is down in a game he does the opposite.
    This can make him seem ridiculous when the score fluctuates!
    He also loves commentating generally using comments like x player is tough, tenacious and reliable.
    That is normally the moment that that player makes a mistake.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Timmy McCarthy did a few GAA games in his time.

The man is passionate if nothing else, he's like the anti-Canning :pac:

I'll remember him forever for the immortal line "John Mullane,He shakes, he bakes!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Corkblowin wrote: »
    Of the two I'd take Marty ahead of Canning because at least you know the guy is mad about GAA. Canning seems more like a man just doing a job.

I'd agree with you there. What Marty lacks in technical knowledge, he sure make up for it with passion. You can't fault him there. I thought he was going to have a heart attack during the AI hurling final and replay.

Ger Canning on the other hand, always sounds like he just found something dirty and smelly on his shoe & is only mildly interested to know what it is. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

I'll remember him forever for the immortal line "John Mullane,He shakes, he bakes!"

One of the best lines ever on commentary. Timmy should get more matches:D, very enthusiastic and great fun to listen to.

Ger Canning is ok at best. If a match is close and exciting hes fine but if a match is one sided he is very poor and dull. One thing is that he is a lot better at GAA commentary than soccer commentary. He is an abysmal commentator for soccer.

• Advertisement

Who the fcuk is Bubbles O'Dwyer.

Can he not call the players by their first names.Nicknames are for friends not for strangers watching them on TV.Its cringeworthy hearing commentators refer to player by their nicknames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

iDave wrote: »
    Daragh Maloney?

Does darragh come out of croke Park?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

James Mc Grath holds both hands out straight and Ger still says "IF it is a penalty!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Canning and the other chap remind me of ted and Ralph from the fast show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

He was at his terrible best today

He's in fine form again today.

this free is 35 metres from the goal as the crow flows

He also seems to be obsessing over Leo McCloone playing for Donegal as if he hasn't played in championship for them much before.He's been a starter for the last 3 or 4 years and played in the 2012 All ireland final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The ice-cream comments were annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

He also seems to be obsessing over Leo McCloone playing for Donegal as if he hasn't played in championship for them much before.He's been a starter for the last 3 or 4 years and played in the 2012 All ireland final.

Canning also said next weekends 2nd Ulster semi final was between Tyrone and Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I like Ger and will always associate him with All Ireland finals but it was like he was stoned today.

The Leo comments were mental!

Is Ger worse than normal today or am I getting crankier. Ready to drive to the game to clock him one. How is he still getting these gigs? Grrrrrrr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

RTE commentators renamed Tony Browne and Joe Deane as "1998 hurler of the year Tony Browne" and "the impish(?) Joe Deane".

They need seem to always refer to Tony Kelly as hurler of the year, get over it

Advertisement