Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs imitating cats?

• 18-05-2014 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I saw these photos today of a cute dog who the owners think that the dog acts more like a cat because it was brought up with one. One of the photos though is exactly the same as something Cooper does. Now, I just thought Cooper was a bit weird and called it his 'dog with no legs position' but after seeing the photo of the other dog it got me wondering if the dog is actually copying how the cat sits :confused: Cooper has lived with Puss since he was 13weeks old. Anyone with a dog and NO cat, and the dog sits like this?

The random dog on the internet...
    tallydog_zps9cee4f94.jpg

Cooper...
    IMG_10701_zps919393ea.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Mine also does this, and exhibits some other feline behaviours like rubbing her head against your leg. She was also brought up by a cat so that's probably why :P

I think it's really cute :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Our situation is kind of the opposite! We got a kitten about 2 weeks after we got our first dog (and then 3-4 months later we got another puppy), we had four other cats beforehand and they are just your typical cats, not the most social with each other. The kitten was essentially raised with our dogs. He's the only cat who knocks things over, you know how cats seem to usually 'test' surfaces to see if they are stable? He doesn't, he also walks through things (like a bottle on the floor) knocking them over like the dogs do. He also chases the other cats much like the dogs do from time to time. He likes to sleep in the same places the dogs sleep and he often sprawls himself on his side in the middle of the floor like the dogs do.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Same here, my cat loves wrestling with the dog and is really cuddly and affectionate. Even friends and family who won't usually like cats have said he's really nice, but really weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I'm sorry but I find that way the dog is resting really weird :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Hotale.com wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I find that way the dog is resting really weird :pac:

I know - so do I! That's why I want to know if he is really imitating how the cat sits, or if other dogs that don't live with cats also do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Since adopting a cat, our dog isn't aggressive anymore and acting like a pussy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

mel.b wrote: »
    I know - so do I! That's why I want to know if he is really imitating how the cat sits, or if other dogs that don't live with cats also do it.

I've known a good few dogs to lie like this who not only were not raised with cats, they didn't much like them either!
    Although my own Westie did it, I wonder is there any breed tendency with it? For example, are northern breeds more likely to do it because it's a better heat-conserving position?
    So, to coat-tail on the OP's request, to anyone whose dog lies like this... what breed or type is it?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

nails1 wrote: »
    Since adopting a cat, our dog isn't aggressive anymore and acting like a pussy

Cats can be aggressive little feckers when they want to be. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭minipink

My cat wags his tail like a dog (only started this since we got my dog 2 years ago) and he's 14 this month. The dog has started kneading blankets like the cat, however she thinks she's a 3 year old girl but that's another story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

My dog is a shih tzu cross, pretty vocal of course, I think that goes with the breed, but he has practically perfected the art of miaowing.
    He also thinks he's perfectly ok to climb on top of the kitchen table since the cat does it, and nimble enough to jump off surfaces like the cat does (he does make it to an actual kitchen counter top with some clever step climbing on occasions :rolleyes:) so far he's not doing too badly with that since he's only 2 years old, but I dread to think he might chance jumping off furniture as an older dog :eek:.
    The big burly cat was here before him, he's the boss, and what the boss does, Gizmo does.
    edit : he doesn't sit like the cat though, and although the cat has understood the push and pull moves required to open doors, Gizmo has not learned from him and gets himself locked into places all the time, I wish he'd just learn that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Not quite the same thing, but my neighbours have a black lab bitch, who has never left the property (its a farm) - they have 3 JRT's too - the black lab has probably never seen another dog, so was brought up with little dogs - she thought she was a terrier - would try to jump up on your lap for a sleep, like the terriers, she used to try to go down rabbit holes and just didnt get that she was x5 times bigger than the JRTs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 AnScamall

My girl does this too and we dont have any cats. She is a husky/samoyed cross ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Would that not be a natural way for huskies to sit? considering they're bred for sleigh pulling in the snow? Wouldn't that be the most energy saving way for them when resting? Legs beneath the body to keep warm,protect against frostbite in the snow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

mel.b wrote: »
    I saw these photos today of a cute dog who the owners think that the dog acts more like a cat because it was brought up with one. One of the photos though is exactly the same as something Cooper does. Now, I just thought Cooper was a bit weird and called it his 'dog with no legs position' but after seeing the photo of the other dog it got me wondering if the dog is actually copying how the cat sits :confused: Cooper has lived with Puss since he was 13weeks old. Anyone with a dog and NO cat, and the dog sits like this?

The random dog on the internet...
    tallydog_zps9cee4f94.jpg

Cooper...
    IMG_10701_zps919393ea.jpg

Cooper is just too cute, his markings are stunning!!

My cocker lies flat out, hind legs flat out like a frog... he looks odd.. people comment (like are his legs broken etc), but he comfy and he's always done this since he was a pup... not half as cute as your cooper though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

deise08 wrote: »
    Would that not be a natural way for huskies to sit? considering they're bred for sleigh pulling in the snow? Wouldn't that be the most energy saving way for them when resting? Legs beneath the body to keep warm,protect against frostbite in the snow?

I don't think so. They're more likely to be curled up in a ball with their tails around their body onto their face, protecting eyes and nose from the elements.
    cocker5 wrote: »
    Cooper is just too cute, his markings are stunning!!

My cocker lies flat out, hind legs flat out like a frog... he looks odd.. people comment (like are his legs broken etc), but he comfy and he's always done this since he was a pup... not half as cute as your cooper though!!

Thanks :) I'm pretty biased but i think he's great too(and that's not even a very good photo of him) i've seen cooper do the frog sit on occasions too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We have a Tibetan terrier and a Lhasa apso, both lie like this, both originate from cold climate.
    Our cat will sit beside the dogs for a treat, and beg on occasion.
    Lhasa rubs her head against you at times, and can be quite cat like, goes after birds and rodents, but I think it's a breed thing.
    She is also in love with our cat Toby, she loves them all, but I swear she smiles and waggs her tail when he headbutts her!

Advertisement