Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St Pats Opponents in the CL

• 18-05-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭

St Pats will be drawn against one of the following opposition

Steaua
    Celtic of Scotland
    Bate Borisov (Belarus)
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Ludogorets Razgrad (bulgaria)
    Maccabi Tel-Aviv
    Sheriff Tiraspol (Moldova)
    NK Maribor (Slovenia)
    A Polish Team
    A Serbian Team
    Slovan Bratislava (slovakia)
    FK Aktobe (Kazakhstan)
    FK Ventspil (Lativa)
    Garabag Agdam (Azerbaijan)
    HJK Helsinki (Finland)
    and either a Georgian or Hungarian team

Thats a fairly hard group of opponents for just a 2nd Qualifying Round (LOI clubs get a bye through the first round because of their ranking).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Oh the stress of wondering if we will get the Azerbaijan or the Kazakhstan team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Its usually regionalised so hopefully we wont be gracing Aktobe or Garabag(?) with our presence. Someone on the Saintsforum had a guess out what teams would be in the region. The teams that were suggested were Celtic, Slovan Bratislava, Ventspilis, Helsinki, Sparta Prague and the Polish Team.

Truthfully its gonna be very tough. Ventspilis and Slovan Bratislava would possibly be the easiest of that group and probably the easiest of all the teams in the draw but as long as we play to our best we have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is the Europa League regionalised too?

If so, how come Derry got Trabzonspor last year, now thats a trip and a half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Best of luck lads, hope ye do LOI proud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Looking forward to Pats playing tica taka cause all they do is moan about others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Celtic FC (SCO)
    Sparta Prague (CZE)
    Legia Warszawa (POL)
    ŠK Slovan Bratislava (SVK)
    FK Ventspils (LAT)
    HJK Helsinki (FIN)

Most likely be in that pot if last years grouping is repeated.

Dont think I will need to book days off for the next round.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

St Pats will be drawn against one of the following opposition

Wherever is furthest away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Probably not the best time to be visiting Tiraspol either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

kksaints wrote: »
    Its usually regionalised so hopefully we wont be gracing Aktobe or Garabag(?) with our presence. Someone on the Saintsforum had a guess out what teams would be in the region. The teams that were suggested were Celtic, Slovan Bratislava, Ventspilis, Helsinki, Sparta Prague and the Polish Team.

Truthfully its gonna be very tough. Ventspilis and Slovan Bratislava would possibly be the easiest of that group and probably the easiest of all the teams in the draw but as long as we play to our best we have a chance.

CL Isn't regionalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Draw Celtic..have the game in the Aviva and milk it for all its worth, best outcome cause Pats will struggle to beat most of them teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

major bill wrote: »
    Draw Celtic..have the game in the Aviva and milk it for all its worth, best outcome cause Pats will struggle to beat most of them teams.

In fairness the aviva should be open to any team in the LOI who want to use it for a European game . The fai should let them use it and pay any costs associated and let the clubs pocket the money .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

In fairness the aviva should be open to any team in the LOI who want to use it for a European game . The fai should let them use it and pay any costs associated and let the clubs pocket the money .

Ya know who the FAI are right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

They'd definitely give Ventspils and Helsinki a game. Have to fancy their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Celtic would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Paully D wrote: »
    Celtic would be great.

How would having essentially two away games be "great"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cos they would lift a pile of money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

They do though, there just hasn't been a need since Shels played Deportivo. I know Rovers would have filled it for the spurs game but that would have meant having to play PAOK and Rubin Kazan in an almost empty Aviva.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

How would having essentially two away games be "great"?

17 teams or so we can get, realistically we will be beaten by almost every one of them ( And we Irelands European Team) but we wont win over 2 legs.

So if thats the case is paying 120k to travel to China to lose a better option than receiving maybe 300k for 25k people in the aviva (tv rights inc).

On the forum we have our how much it will cost thingie and realistically i can afford 4 possibles (finland,poland, latvia, prague) Scotland there is a fcuking bus to Edinburgh from O connell street every night.....did not know that.

Celtic gives us 2 away games, puts all pats fans together for 2 games vs Ireland. We know what to expect this time, i would prefer that.

ps i think we would beat them, only team i think we would beat out fo the 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

dreamers75 wrote: »
    On the forum we have our how much it will cost thingie and realistically i can afford 4 possibles (finland,poland, latvia, prague) Scotland there is a fcuking bus to Edinburgh from O connell street every night.....did not know that.
    ]
    Slovakia is cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sports_mad_lad

When is the draw lads?

• Advertisement

When is the draw lads?

Monday 11am onwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

17 teams or so we can get, realistically we will be beaten by almost every one of them ( And we Irelands European Team) but we wont win over 2 legs.

So if thats the case is paying 120k to travel to China to lose a better option than receiving maybe 300k for 25k people in the aviva (tv rights inc).

Celtic gives us 2 away games, puts all pats fans together for 2 games vs Ireland. We know what to expect this time, i would prefer that.

ps i think we would beat them, only team i think we would beat out fo the 17

What???

It would be a decent time to get Celtic, first competitive game for the new manager potential Banana skin for them.

What???

Seriously!!

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=250#Dublin - Glasgow - Edinburgh

10343679_10202199937422999_9076441875713558996_n.jpg

Well **** that

St Patrick's Ath ‏@stpatsfc 1m
    We have been placed in group 3 for the Champions League draw tomorrow. We will face one of these 6 sides

BqxNzcoCEAA0Nwf.jpg

Thats a balls of a group. Helsinki or Warsaw possibly beatable and possibly Qarabag but that involves a trip to central Asia.

kksaints wrote: »
    Thats a balls of a group. Helsinki or Warsaw possibly beatable and possibly Qarabag but that involves a trip to central Asia.

Dont think any are beatable 4/6 I could go to.

Dont think any are beatable 4/6 I could go to.

Not sure on the Azeri team but Finnish football wouldnt be that strong and Polish football wouldnt be great either and their league only starts on the 18th of July. They are still very tough but I would rather our chances against them then the top three teams, we wont beat any of the top three anyway. Personally I would prefer to avoid Steaua most of all.

No trips for me.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 HSAJT

Would give St. Pats outside chance against AZE/FIN, can't see them getting by any of the other sides.

HJK in season and top.

Others had decent runs in Europa last season we could get seriously spanked by legia zagreb steaua(again)
    Ciaran ‏@BackPostHeader 11m
    I reckon if Pats got into the group stages UEFA would put us in the Asian Champions League.

Funny :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 HSAJT

Yeah, I know what you are saying. That can be a problem playing Scandinavian teams compared to most other leagues that are only in preseason. Should give teams a slight edge in terms of fitness (at least in theory)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Legia Warsaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Boots234 wrote: »
    Legia Warsaw

That'll potentially draw a massive crowd!

Waiting to confirm if we are switching dates (which we should) and where it it will be.

/hovers over ryanair website

Advertisement