Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing leaving cert outside school?

• 18-05-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi there I'm just coming to the end of my 5th year in school due to bullying I refuse to go back to my school for 6th year , I just can't do it it's too bad anyway, my dad suggested I do my leaving cert outside school at night and work in the day time? Has anyone done this before? Is it possible? If so where? I'm in Dublin area , thanks everyone' need some guidance in this area ,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

Are these people worth hampering your education?
    Can your education be bigger than them?
    One year and you'll never have to deal with these idiots again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

It's the responsibility of your school to deal with bullying, have they helped at all?

If they can't regarding the bullying then they should be able to advise on doing the leaving cert outside of school. You've many options - go straight to a school where you can repeat the leaving cert in one year, move schools and do 6th year there etc

Don't listen to anyone who says that it's only bullying and to put up with it for a year. It can be incredibly isolating and lonely to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

I know it's tough. All I'm saying is that people can get depressed and they start feeling sorry for themselves. Once you dothat you lose all your strength and things can get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Have your school helped at all with the bullying issue?

As you are probably about 16, you would probably be better off going to a regular school to finish your education and do your exams, you'll find it much harder to study by yourself at home if you don't have the routine of a timetable and teachers looking for work from you.

If you are adamant that you are not going back to your current school perhaps you might look into transferring to another school in your area for your last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

Mia97x wrote: »
    Hi there I'm just coming to the end of my 5th year in school due to bullying I refuse to go back to my school for 6th year , I just can't do it it's too bad anyway, my dad suggested I do my leaving cert outside school at night and work in the day time? Has anyone done this before? Is it possible? If so where? I'm in Dublin area , thanks everyone' need some guidance in this area ,
    Think about 20 years from now if youre intellegent you wasted a massove oppurtinity over a little bunch of ****s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 teach432

Students who do well in the LC will be going to school and also doing study in the evening. If you have ambitions to do well, it's hard to see how working everyday and only doing the LC by night can work out.

Bullying is terrible and I've been there but changing a major part of your life (i.e. dropping out of school) is just giving in and letting them win. Think of some other way of getting through one more year.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Firstly, your school has a legal obligation to make school a safe place for you and to deal with the bullying. I presume you have reported it yo your class teacher/Year head/any teacher?

Many people work and do their Leaving Cert. at night. It is very hard to do though and in my book anyone that does so should get extra credit for it, but that's by the by.

Short answer - it's possible to work and do the Leaving at night but I would pursue your school first. They have to have an anti-bullying policy - ask to see it.

Advertisement