Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chelsea Flower Show

• 18-05-2014 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi All,

I want to take my mother to Chelsea FS next year for her 70th birthday. I know she would love that as a surprise. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on getting tickets, best days to go, general tips etc

Many thanks,
    Shane

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭greasepalm

would she be able for it,its a great place but peas in a pod with crowds galore.think its the second day for the public,comfy shoes a must as plenty of walking to be done
    last day is best when things are sold bonanza in buying .enjoy.
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/shop/rhs-garden-holidays/trip-reports/RHS-Chelsea-Flower-Show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think the travel department sometimes go to Chelsea, though I don't see anything online for this year.
    http://www.traveldepartment.ie/holiday-ideas/garden-holidays/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

If she's in the full of her health, go for it. But it's chock-a-block all day long. No matter how early you go, it's jammers. Unreal.

I believe it's even more expensive now. I heard it was £75 last year. Of course their website would tell you. First day afaik, is for competitors, competition results and celebrities. Then it's open to the great unwashed. I think about 4-5 years ago they extended it to the Saturday too.

I wouldn't go again. I got the sense of it. There's a bit of the Emperor's New Clothes about it. And full of luvvies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Book a garden tour much more interesting and easy going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Why not take her to the Hampton Court flower show instead - certainly more relaxed and a smaller show. You can also buy plants at Hampton all during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Second Hampton Court. Used to go with my Mum when I lived in London. At least you can park there :pac:.

But we like to go to Chelsea occasionally. Barbados normally enters a garden and usually wins a prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

My mother went to Chelsea in her late 60s and Hampton Court in her early 70s. She'd go back to Hampton inn a heart beat, but is a bit bleh about Chelsea. She loves guided garden tours too.

Advertisement