Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup bets

• 18-05-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

My bet (maybe) for Winner & Top Goalscorer = Italy/Neymar 250/1 with PP. Worth a fiver methinks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

im doing spain. the other top teams have weaknesses in their squads while spain are fairly decent in every position

maybe a fiver on aguero for top scorer. i can see argentina reaching the semis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Germany to win - 11/2
    Germany and Muller top scorer - 66/1
    Dzeko top scorer - 80/1

They are the ones I have done already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

So we all think the winner will come from Europe. Not much in the record books to justify that optimism.

who_ru wrote: »
    So we all think the winner will come from Europe. Not much in the record books to justify that optimism.

If there's a market for it, I'll have a few quid on Uruguay getting the furthest of the SA teams, Argentina are too weak at the back and I think Brazil are very weak, far too reliant on Neymar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anyone think Italy are over priced?

Their possession type football won't be strain on stamina and heat won't be killer for them either.

Granted they are in tricky group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

As I've stated here already I have Dzeko Top Goalscorer @ 100/1

Player of the tournament David Silva @ 100/1

Highest scoring team Argentina @ 4/1

Highest scoring group - F @ 7/1

Top scoring club at World Cup - Man United 9/1 (Rooney, van Persie, Kagawa, Hernandez, Mata, Fellaini, Januzaj)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

If there's a market for it, I'll have a few quid on Uruguay getting the furthest of the SA teams, Argentina are too weak at the back and I think Brazil are very weak, far too reliant on Neymar.
    Uruguay are weaker than Argentina everywhere though. And they have a tougher group.

I genuinely see no reason whatsoever to favour Uruguay over Argentina. Besides Suarez and Cavani they don't have much at all.

And Brazil have a stack of very good players to go with their one superstar in Neymar, plus home advantage. No idea why you'd think they're very weak. They don't have the best Brazil squad ever, but they've probably the 3rd/4th best squad at the world cup after Spain and Germany, maybe Argentina.

Uruguay are weaker than Argentina everywhere though. And they have a tougher group.

I genuinely see no reason whatsoever to favour Uruguay over Argentina. Besides Suarez and Cavani they don't have much at all.

And Brazil have a stack of very good players to go with their one superstar in Neymar, plus home advantage. No idea why you'd think they're very weak. They don't have the best Brazil squad ever, but they've probably the 3rd/4th best squad at the world cup after Spain and Germany, maybe Argentina.

Uruguay are strong all over the pitch, one of their defenders is arriving as a La Liga champion and possibly Champions league winner.

Uruguay are strong all over the pitch, one of their defenders is arriving as a La Liga champion and possibly Champions league winner.

Djimi Traore won the the champions league, doesn't make him better than Thiago Silva, or does it?

• Advertisement

Djimi Traore won the the champions league, doesn't make him better than Thiago Silva, or does it?

No but it makes Diego Godin a ****ing fantastic defender, pardon the language.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Germany won't win **** with Loew as coach for those who are thinking of putting money on them.

Drmic @ 100/1 and Dzeko @ 100/1 for Top Goalscorers are the best long punts.

No but it makes Diego Godin a ****ing fantastic defender, pardon the language.

No it doesn't. He'd be just as good a defender if they had lost 1-0 yesterday. He's very good, but not because he won a medal yesterday.

The point is that arguing that a player is good because he's got a medal is silly. And you need 5 good defenders to have a good defense. And they don't have that. Lugano is past it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

I backed Colombia to win at 175/1 a good while back, but now Falcao's not going to be at his best, I'm not confident.
    I backed Ibisevic to be top scorer at 200/1, however that was before he went off the boil after Christmas and before I found out that they are only likely to play one up front.

I backed Colombia to win at 175/1 a good while back, but now Falcao's not going to be at his best, I'm not confident.
    I backed Ibisevic to be top scorer at 200/1, however that was before he went off the boil after Christmas and before I found out that they are only likely to play one up front.

That must have been placed over 2 or even 3 years ago? I have them at 66/1 E/W from two years ago, but am not holding my breath for it to come in, despite their depth up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    That must have been placed over 2 or even 3 years ago? I have them at 66/1 E/W from two years ago, but am not holding my breath for it to come in, despite their depth up front.

Yeah it was, it was actually a guy that writes for the racing post put it in my head. He had them backed at even bigger prices.

Edit: I am convinced that there will be a South American winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Chile @ 50/1
    france @ 25/1

5 each way on both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Chile @ 50/1
    france @ 25/1

5 each way on both

Sorry I missed out on the 66s on Chile, but I'm on at 50s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Think Aguero top scorer at 18/1 is a cracking bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Can see Mario Mandžukić scoring a few in that group. Think Croatia will surprise a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Can see Mario Mandžukić scoring a few in that group. Think Croatia will surprise a few

Banned for the 1st game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Here is a handy interactive wall chart for the World Cup lads . It lets you plan out how the groups & ko stages will go .

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10501412/World-Cup-2014-Wallchart-Predictor-Game.html

So far I've backed Belgium at 22/1 ( bet was made last year ) & have done a group winner accumulator of Colombia,France, Germany & Belgium - works out at 15/2. Gonna probably back both Colombia & Argentina although Colombia will probably have to get past Brazil if they want to make the semi finals.

Will Klose start for Germany does anybody know? He could be a bit of value for top scorer at 50/1 if he does . Jackson Martinez at 66/1 will also be getting a few quid off me especially if Falcao isn't fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

adamski8 wrote: »
    Banned for the 1st game

Yeah just seen that. Still think they could surprise a few people

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

benzema top scorer is what Im looking at. Fairly handy group and then potentially bosnia in the last 16. I think and hope brazil will win it but the odds are too short. May do a brazil/argentina final bet aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Marco Reus player of the tournament @ 40/1 is worth a few euro too IMO. He's been absolutely outstanding for Dortmund this season and is the player in the best form going into the tournament out of all he big hitters (Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Issue with Italy is that they're based very very far away from where their group games are being played. They've a tendency not to start very well in the group stages and i wouldn't be too surprised if they were the top team to seriously falter this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

kfallon wrote: »

I don't think he even starts for Argentina as a striker. AFAIK himself and Higuain are shunted into wide forward roles to make space for Messi in the middle. Argentina have adapted a style to centre their attacking play around Messi, it's difficult to see Aguero or anyone else outscoring him, never mind winning the golden boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

glued wrote: »
    As I've stated here already I have Dzeko Top Goalscorer @ 100/1

Player of the tournament David Silva @ 100/1

Highest scoring team Argentina @ 4/1

Highest scoring group - F @ 7/1

Top scoring club at World Cup - Man United 9/1 (Rooney, van Persie, Kagawa, Hernandez, Mata, Fellaini, Januzaj)

You forgot Welbeck but included Fellaini! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

kfallon wrote: »

lots of games in a short space of time usually means one thing for aguero and its not goals. I speak as a burnt many times fantasy football aguero owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Folks, there is already a forum here on Boards dedicated to football betting.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1357

and it already has a World Cup 2014 thread in it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057099405

So there is no need for a copycat thread in this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement