Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 1 Essays (HL)

• 18-05-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Do you guys think it is enough to have the following essays prepared:

- Crime in Ireland
    - Poverty
    - The Education System in Ireland
    - Role models
    - Importance of sport in the lives of young people

Also if anyone has some useful suggestions such as good phrases or seanfhocals that can be used in any essay feel free to post them here :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I've only prepared three to date, really need to get this together because I'm aiming for an A1.
    I've done
    -An Ghaeilge
    -Boctanas
    -An t-idirlíon

I think you've got a decent selection there, but who knows what'll be there really. I did one on sport a while ago so I'll have a look at that. I also have one about Fadhbanna na nÓg but I may not get around to that.

Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir (time will tell) is the main seanfhocal I wheel out. Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam for the one I've done on the language.

Not hijacking your thread, but just wondering if people here think an aiste which is primarily based on the internet could fit for teicneolaíocht too. Or would that be too narrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

I did HL irish last year and my teacher who corrects exams said that even if you write about a topic that is totally irrelevant you will only lose 15 marks out of the 100!

ejayy wrote: »
    I did HL irish last year and my teacher who corrects exams said that even if you write about a topic that is totally irrelevant you will only lose 15 marks out of the 100!

Well that sounds like a bit of an overstatement. There's no way I'd get 85/100 if I wrote a sport essay under the title of the Irish political system... Continued reference to the title is essential for 80+, then the rest comes to gramadach and stór focal AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Turns out he's right.

You'd only lose 15 marks....

http://examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2013/LC001ALP000IV.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

As a LC examiner, I can tell you that if your essay is completely irrelevant to the title, you can get 0/100
    You will not simply lose 15 marks.

You cannot just go in and write about anything and get 85 marks. Seriously.:confused:

• Advertisement

Why not?

Surely you have to stick to the marking scheme.

Why not?

Surely you have to stick to the marking scheme.

I actually went and read the marking scheme. If you did what you're advocating, you'd get a big fat 0 stuck beside all the irrelevant material, which would be everything in this case.
    Sa chás go scríobhtar ábhar seachtrach nach bhfuil ad rem cuirfear as an áireamh an t-
    ábhar sin. D’fhéadfadh a bheith mar thoradh ar an gcinneadh sin nach sásóidh an iarracht
    cheapadóireachta na riachtanais ó thaobh fad de, agus dá thoradh sin, go ngearrfar pionós
    pro-rata ar an ábhar agus ar an nGaeilge.

People should be really sure before making blasé statements which might misdirect their contemporaries! :rolleyes:

I can't copy and paste here but I linked to the marking scheme.

It clearly says 15 marks for sticking to the topic.

The rest for standard of irish

I can't copy and paste here but I linked to the marking scheme.

It clearly says 15 marks for sticking to the topic.

The rest for standard of irish
    You clearly didn't understand what I placed in quotes above. It says that if irrelevant material is posted, discount it from the marking, ie. You will get no marks for material that is completely irrelevant.

Go ahead and write completely irrelevant material, but don't be upset when you don't get anywhere near 85/100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    As a LC examiner, I can tell you that if your essay is completely irrelevant to the title, you can get 0/100
    You will not simply lose 15 marks.

You cannot just go in and write about anything and get 85 marks. Seriously.:confused:

How easy are those 15 marks to get? As in if the question was "the decline in irish-my solution" and i wrote perfectly grammatical paragraphs about value of irish, TG4, Irish in schools etc etc.. would I be marked down much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 doggybag12

oncex wrote: »
    How easy are those 15 marks to get? As in if the question was "the decline in irish-my solution" and i wrote perfectly grammatical paragraphs about value of irish, TG4, Irish in schools etc etc.. would I be marked down much?

do you think i would be safe just learning essay on irish language and be able write in debate if it came up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

Turns out he's right.

You'd only lose 15 marks....

http://examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2013/LC001ALP000IV.pdf

What they mean by that is, if the title is like : 'The Importance of Sport'

and you gave a little mention of sport but rattled off on your 'Coras Oideachais' essay they'd take alot of marks from the 15... you need to make SOME effort of mentioning the title, that's a given! I would not advise anyone to rattle off any oul essay under any title because although I would award them some marks, clearly others will not!

Just looking through the papers and all the aistes I have prepared have been up in 2013/2012. I'm at a loss as to what to study? This is what I have...
    • An Ghaeilge
    • realtaí sport
    • FADHBANNA na daoine óga
    • economy
    • migration
    • sláinte
    • crime
    • na meain chumarsaide
    • an coras oideachais
    • danger on the roads
    My problem is that the vast majority have shown up recently, what is everyone focusing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Just looking through the papers and all the aistes I have prepared have been up in 2013/2012. I'm at a loss as to what to study? This is what I have...
    • An Ghaeilge
    • realtaí sport
    • economy
    • migration
    • sláinte
    • crime
    • na meain chumarsaide
    • an coras oideachais
    • danger on the roads
    My problem is that the vast majority have shown up recently, what is everyone focusing on?
    Im doing Coiriulacht, an culu eacnamaiochta, fadhbanna na nog, fadhbanna sosialta and an coras oideachas should be fairly covered

• Registered Users Posts: 19 doggybag12

• An Ghaeilge
    • realtaí sport
    • economy
    • migration
    • sláinte
    • crime
    • na meain chumarsaide
    • an coras oideachais
    • danger on the roads

an ghaeilge hasnt come up yet in 2012/ 2013 has it?

doggybag12 wrote: »
    an ghaeilge hasnt come up yet in 2012/ 2013 has it?

No, or the media. The internet came up in 2011, and gaeilge as a diaspóireacht kind of.

Advertisement