Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you keep yourself reading?

• 18-05-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I love reading but Ive always found it hard to maintain habits of any kind, sadly including good habits like reading. If I get into a book Ill be reading it every chance I get, nothing is more enticing, but when Im between books I find it hard to pick one up again. Its not for lack of options either, I know what I like and accumulate books consistently but often just dont bother starting them.

Anyway! my question to those who understand where Im coming from, how do you keep yourself reading? Do you try to set aside a time of day that you always read, or maybe you make sure to have the next book started before you lose momentum?

Would love to hear everyones thoughts as I adore reading and need help keep the wheels moving when between good books!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Always keep the next good book on your bedside locker. Personally speaking best time for reading is late at night - often it's the only free time you get to read and it's a relaxing way to end the day.
    But if you love reading, picking up the next book shouldn't really be a problem.

One thing I've learned from experience, if you're finding a particular book to be a slog, just put it down (or give it to someone else you think may like it) and move on to your next one! Don't waste time on something you don't enjoy....there are so many great writers to explore.

And if you discover an author you really like, note down a few more of his/her novels and line them up as your next reads. It's good way to keep your reading habit ticking over:)

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I find what hinders me most is choosing what to read next. I often feel so overwhelmed by my TBR list that I just end up going back to something I've already read. So I've now got a jar which contains pieces of paper with books I have but haven't read yet on them. If I have something in mind to read, obviously I don't use it but I find it great when I just can't make a decision! It's exactly like this!

book-jar-21.png

I don't usually set aside set time but I generally use any spare minute. I've always got a book in my bag so when I'm waiting on the bus or waiting for someone, I can get stuck in. I think I get most of my reading on the bus though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I find what hinders me most is choosing what to read next. I often feel so overwhelmed by my TBR list that I just end up going back to something I've already read. So I've now got a jar which contains pieces of paper with books I have but haven't read yet on them. If I have something in mind to read, obviously I don't use it but I find it great when I just can't make a decision! It's exactly like this!

book-jar-21.png

I don't usually set aside set time but I generally use any spare minute. I've always got a book in my bag so when I'm waiting on the bus or waiting for someone, I can get stuck in. I think I get most of my reading on the bus though!

I thought I was the only one that did something like this! I put all the "to be read" books on a shelf and use www.random.org to chose a number and decide my next book.

As to when to read, I have set myself aside an hour or so in the morning before my partner and daughter wake up when I can read and drink coffee.
    Guess most people would do the same, but at night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Having a kindle helps. I read so much more since I got one, as most books are accessible in an instant, no need to wait for a book to arrive in the post or to get to the bookshop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

as above, i read a few books a week. Paper is best of course, but not allowed in work(cleanroom) so kindle on my phone and tablet are a must.
    Books can be bought within seconds and the author actually gets money as opposed to the second hand market where they don't see a penny.

And authors can easily publish books on kindle where they wouldn't have a hope to be a paperback published. I've come across a lot of new authors this way and it's easy to catch up on a few pages at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I found the biggest challenge to my reading habit has been from the internet - that is spending time reading articles and pieces on the web when I would have usually read a book instead. Ive also ended up buying too many books from amazon because its so easy, and ended up with a pile to get through ' someday ' .

So now I make a point of putting time aside for a book, and also for browsing through the local book store. Browsing the local book store is an important part of my reading pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

i find that using reading as a means of procrastinating tends to help...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Having a kindle helps. I read so much more since I got one, as most books are accessible in an instant, no need to wait for a book to arrive in the post or to get to the bookshop.

I read less since I got my kindle fire!

Because it's back lit, I turn off my light and I read in the dark. I fall asleep much quicker now. Last night for instance, I read two lines and I was out! :o

Other nights I can be awake hours and hours reading but those nights are few and far between in comparison to when I was reading real books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I read less since I got my kindle fire!

Because it's back lit, I turn off my light and I read in the dark. I fall asleep much quicker now. Last night for instance, I read two lines and I was out! :o

Other nights I can be awake hours and hours reading but those nights are few and far between in comparison to when I was reading real books.

I always read before I sleep, so now my body associates reading with sleeping. It's great in one way because if I'm struggling to sleep, I know I can pick up my book and it'll knock me out. It also means, however, that if I read at any time, it has a similar effect. I made the mistake of reading during lunchtime last week, and I was so dozy for the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Like many others I read tons more because of my Kindle ( I have the paperwhite version) I have books always on hand and free ;)

Goodreads is a great site for keeping track of reading I used to use Shelfari but Goodreads is much better and you can take part in book challenges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭prq

What I do is to always already be reading something else when I finish a book. For example, recently I was "juggling" Slaughterhouse 5, Dune, and On The Road. The first one regularly, the second one occasionally, the third one rarely

When one is finished, I pick another, and re-decide on their priorities again.

Advertisement