Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti Virus Protection for Mobile Phone.

Options
  • 18-05-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Hope its ok to post this here rather than in the 'mobile' forum.
    It is possible for certain mobile devices to be infected by a mobile virus, but it is generally limited to Windows mobile and Symbian handsets; specifically Series 60. With that said, the most common mobile viruses are only able to infect a user's handset if they accept and/or open an infected file infected sent via MMS or Bluetooth.

To be honest irish stew, I wouldn't worry about your handset becoming infected by a virus, as I don't even think it's possible on Series 40 handsets; such as your Nokia 5300. A lot of people assume mobile viruses are widespread and can infect any handset, when in fact the truth is the complete opposite.

The quote is from 2009, is this still the case!

The phone in question here is a Nokia 301 http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_301-5323.php

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

You do not need antivirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

jimmynokia wrote: »
    You do not need antivirus.

Not true. Maybe when smartphone operating systems were the new kids on the block, but iOS is in Gen 7 and into Gen 8 this fall, Android is in Gen 4 with Gen 5 due to drop by the end of the year by all trends. And Windows OS adoption is even picking up too.

All of which can be targeted. You're thinking of a traditional computer virus, but it doesn't need to work in this way. Hackers are not out to brick handsets, they're out to silently steal your information. A smartphone is a repository of critical user data, not the least of which is a stored email password, in addition to phone numbers, GPS location, call logs, private messages, stored billing info, etc. etc. And many apps that do innocuous things like function as flashlights have no problem tapping into that data. (http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/it-security/why-does-an-android-flashlight-app-need-gps-permission/)

In addition to that, some websites are vectors of attack for phones. Just because you're on a phone or the Derp-Herp-Virusproof Macbook, you can just as easily wind up on a phishing site accidentally sending wire transfers to nigerian royalty the same as everyone else.

For that and more there are security apps for phones now, including iOS. Webroot and Kaspersky are both known to have droid and iOS apps. It starts with a secure web browser, and extends into keeping the user aware of what information all of your apps are tied into. And as smartphones get more sophisticated, so will attacks. It's the nature of things.

I don't personally use antivirus on my iPhone but I usually don't do stray browsing when I'm on it like you would on a PC so I'm less concerned about phising attacks. I could stand to be more concerned about apps doing things in the background but as it stands I'm already extremely paranoid about what my apps are allowed access to. Few if any are permitted to view contacts or location data.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Lundar.

have you checked out his phone mate, its a basic Nokia operating system, there would be little point for a virus writer to make a virus for that phone, too small a pool of phones to be worth it.

android and ios are a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

There is no need for antivirus for this phone simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Lundar. wrote: »

android and ios are a different kettle of fish.

Android is very safe, contrary to stories you'd often hear.

forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/03/24/report-97-of-mobile-malware-is-on-android-this-is-the-easy-way-you-stay-safe/

Apps from the Playstore are constantly scanned with Bouncer, if they become dodgy through an update or snaky Ads they get pulled, or auto uninstalled if you have them on your phone.

You'd have to install Apps from outside the store to goose yourself.

Browsing wise, anything dodgy (that's known anyway) has to fool you into installing it.

Here...techspot.com/news/48446-new-android-malware-spreads-via-infected-websites.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement