Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy snacks for baby???

Options
  • 18-05-2014 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

My son is almost 7 months now (holy moly how did that happen!) and we're now at the stage where the odd snack wouldn't hurt. What healthy snacks can I make/get for him for that weird time between lunch and dinner? Something small obviously!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My son is almost 7 months now (holy moly how did that happen!) and we're now at the stage where the odd snack wouldn't hurt. What healthy snacks can I make/get for him for that weird time between lunch and dinner? Something small obviously!

Time flies alright!
    How about any of these?

Yogurt
    Steamed/roasted veggie sticks
    Organix carrot sticks
    Fruit
    Toast fingers with cheese
    Toast fingers with banana

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

I've given yoghurt alright the odd time. I am just terrible for being inventive with that and lunch and end up falling back on the old favourites but thanks so much for that list. Will try a little bit of fruit tomorrow if he seems hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I give my lad organix carrot sticks, sometimes an Ella's cookie, (sugar free melty things) baby rice cakes, or a glenisk fromage frais (sugar free ones) I've given him sticks of cucumber or pear slices, but he's not great at getting to grips with them; they're a bit slippy for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

If you like baking spinach and cheese muffins are a massive hit here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

My one year old loves her rice cakes. I think they're the organix ones too. She gets one or two with lunch and same with dinner. They're basically nothing so I don't feel bad about her snacking, and she absolutely loves holding and eating them. Have gotten some funny looks/loud disapproval from someone trying to give her proper sugary biscuits and me being like "no, no, we have our own..." notions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

The odd few Cheerios or Rice Krispies are good too - but maybe wait a couple months for the Cheerios as they slightly harder.
    Fruit is biggest hit here / Esp banana and berries of any kind!
    And bits of toast or
    Just bread fingers
    Diary allergy so goats milk glenisk yoghurt
    Rice cakes
    I avoid all bars and biscuits with my second and my eldest got so demanding of them and filled up on them instead of real food.... Now we only provide the above unless we are out in which case to keep the well behaved they might share a liga! Or one of those humzinger fruit sticks which they adore!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Breadsticks
    Fruit - half a banana, mandarin segments, bits of apple
    Mini rice cakes
    Toast fingers with either butter/spreadable cheese, peanut butter or pate.
    Yogurt
    Bits of potato farl
    Bits of babybel cheese

This is all from 1yr onwards so you may have to adjust sizes for a 7mth old and I have a feeling that peanut butter is not recommended before 1yr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Fruit - bit of pear, apple, grape cut up, peach, orange segment to chew on (avoid the allergans for baby that age, kiwi and strawberry i think?)
    Raisins
    Cucumber strips, carrot strips.
    Cheese - cut a bit off a block of cheese for her
    Porridge stick (make thick porridge, leave it to set and cut into sticks)
    Water biscuit / cracker
    Crust of bread to gnaw on if teething.
    Cooked cold pasta (like a pasta salad)
    Yoghurt

I'd skip the sweets, biscuits etc. i kinda put "child" cereals like cocopops or cheerios into the sweets category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

My son is the same age and favourites here are honey dew melon, pear, toast fingers, pieces of mozzarella ball, olives cut into little pieces, avocado. He'll eat anything though. He ate the corners off a beer mat yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

sorry for hijacking! some good tips here. just wondering i have one of those net things you can put food into so they dont choke as they only get what comes out the tiny holes. any ideas what i can put in this? little man is just 6 months :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

I wouldn't give a 7 month old raw apple to be honest, it's too hard and they can choke on it... maybe stick with steamed apple, or other soft fruit.
    Orange and other citrus fruit can give them a red bum, but maybe that's just my little lady :p

As for the net things, red fraggle, I have a friend who has one and has put things like grapes, bits of pear etc into them. I suppose you could put everything into them, seeing as baby can't swallow the fruit whole?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

sorry for hijacking! some good tips here. just wondering i have one of those net things you can put food into so they dont choke as they only get what comes out the tiny holes. any ideas what i can put in this? little man is just 6 months :)

I put frozen fruit in the net feeder for my son and he loves it. Soothes his sore gums when he's teething too. You can get bags in tesco that have a mix of Apple, grape, melon, pineapple and orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I wouldn't give raisins til 1 year incase of choking but that's just me.
    For the net thing / I have one and out melon - peach - sweet potatoe roasted in it.
    If it's a silicone one banana works well but not in the mesh ones as it stains it too much and never looks clean again!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

grarf wrote: »
    I wouldn't give a 7 month old raw apple to be honest, it's too hard and they can choke on it...

Baby led weaning (aka finger food) is all about letting them have a good chew on things like apples from that age. There are some good videos on it if you give it a google.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

pwurple wrote: »
    Baby led weaning (aka finger food) is all about letting them have a good chew on things like apples from that age. There are some good videos on it if you give it a google.

I've given whole apple to him that we share together - very very safe obviously under close supervision. Truthfully I'm a baby led weaning advocate and fully agree with you pwurple about using videos on youtube to help with confidence when starting out. If we blitz an especially hard apple for 10/20 seconds in the microwave to soften it slightly and I take the first bite it works well for our little boy. I also feed him pear in the same manner. I give big slices of melon and pineapple again with skin as leaving skin. My son no longer shovels the entire food in his mouth as he's learning how much food to stuff his face with all by himself :). He also gets banana with the skin left on for grip and he loves that too but he loves it so much he tries to shovel the whole lot in sometimes.

Thanks all for the tips by the way; I was constantly resorting to yoghurt for a snack!

Advertisement