Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my tree dead?

• 18-05-2014 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

We bought a house with what we think is a cherry tree in the garden (none of us is a gardener... two clueless individuals!). While all other cherry trees around blossomed in the spring, ours did not show a thing. No leaves, no buds, no nothing. It seemed to be moist inside though when we made an incision in the bark. We can't see the base of the tree as it's under the decking, it would be a bigger job to get to it. Is it dead? Or do they take a break sometimes? Pics attached!

IMG_20140426_192647.jpg

IMG_20140426_192535.jpg

IMG_20140426_192635.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Sadly it looks dead. My cherry is in full leaf and has flowered at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

In your 2nd pic there seems to be huge damage to the bark low down, is the tree de-barked all the way around? a better pic of that area would help but what I can see it doesn't look good and it should be well in leaf by now. it may well shoot from the base but if it is surrounded by decking there may not be enough room for it to grow properly. if it were mine i would remove it and plant a new tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

In your 2nd pic there seems to be huge damage to the bark low down, is the tree de-barked all the way around? a better pic of that area would help but what I can see it doesn't look good and it should be well in leaf by now. it may well shoot from the base but if it is surrounded by decking there may not be enough room for it to grow properly. if it were mine i would remove it and plant a new tree.

Sadly you might be right... Looks like bark was stripped all the way down to the decking, why would anyone do that?
    If we were to plant a new tree, does it makes sense to plant it under the decking like that? It's a good spot layout wise though.

IMG_20140519_212403.jpg

IMG_20140519_212356.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Guttervac

If a fall was allowed for when decking was built I wonder would tree get enough water? If where the tree is the high point water would be running away from it. If you notice when an old deck is removed it is often very dry underneath. In my opinion, I would not think this would do tree any favours unless it was giving more space.

Advertisement