Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best ice creams in Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Johnwayne98

Dalkey is it?

Yeah Dalkey,Dalkey

Dalkey is it?

Yeah Dalkey,Dalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yeah Dalkey,Dalkey
    Yeah Dalkey,Dalkey

Dalkey Dalkey Dalkey Dalkey?

Near Sallynoggin Sallynoggin?

:pac:

endacl wrote: »

No, sandycove

No, sandycove

• Advertisement

I'll tell Jimmy!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Where is this Gino's place? I'm in Dun Laoghaire, you see.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Where is this Gino's place? I'm in Dun Laoghaire, you see.

There's a ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Moghead

wolf99 wrote: »
    Murphy's hands down. Been to the shops in both Dublin and Dingle now and love them.
    Try the sea salt flavor with another sweeter scoop, lovely. Plus the staff are all lovely.

On a related note; Any other pedants that get mightily annoyed to see them still advertised as 99's? Been a long while since they actually cost that little...

Apparently they are not called 99s because of the price. I heard a lady from Teddys on the radio last year and she said the name related to the 99th division or battalion or something like that in the army or police in Milan back in the late 1800s. They were considered the elite of all the troops in the area and the ice cream was named after them.

Bit of random useless information there.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Moghead wrote: »
    Apparently they are not called 99s because of the price. I heard a lady from Teddys on the radio last year and she said the name related to the 99th division or battalion or something like that in the army or police in Milan back in the late 1800s. They were considered the elite of all the troops in the area and the ice cream was named after them.

Bit of random useless information there.

I thought they were called after the 99 flake? Are flakes called 99 flakes, I thought they were but now I'm beginning to doubt myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

ginos on henry street

They are gorgeous but a rip-off

Warper wrote: »
    They are gorgeous but a rip-off
    Not at all. The prices are clearly displayed, they're not compulsory, and there are plenty of cheaper alternatives available.

I don't think rip off means what you think it means....
    I think you might mean 'expensive'.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Not at all. The prices are clearly displayed, they're not compulsory, and there are plenty of cheaper alternatives available.

I don't think rip off means what you think it means....
    I think you might mean 'expensive'.

;)

Since when was "rip-off" solely confined to where prices aren't displayed?

I think most people would equate "rip-off" with something that's largely overpriced.

You've come up with your own definition of it and are being really pedantic about it

Since when was "rip-off" solely confined to where prices aren't displayed?

I think most people would equate "rip-off" with something that's largely overpriced.

You've come up with your own definition of it and are being really pedantic about it

Not really. We're great at whining ripoff this that and the other here. It's only a ripoff if you're being overcharged for a good or service that you've no choice but to pay for. Examples of 'ripoff' might include such things as dental work, electricity prices, or rent in Dublin!

There's plenty of cheaper ice cream around. If you don't like the price, don't pay it. I'd love, for example, an Aston Martin. If by some miracle I can ever afford one I'll be handing over six figures for what is essentially just a car. I could probably buy a hundred perfectly good toyotas for the same price. Aston Martin wouldn't be ripping me off, as I could just as easily buy one of the toyotas to fulfil every function I'd ever require of a car. Also, I could spend the difference on ice cream from Gino's. I'd even buy you one. A large one! Why not? I'd be feckin' loaded!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Not really. We're great at whining ripoff this that and the other here. It's only a ripoff if you're being overcharged for a good or service that you've no choice but to pay for. Examples of 'ripoff' might include such things as dental work, electricity prices, or rent in Dublin!

There's plenty of cheaper ice cream around. If you don't like the price, don't pay it. I'd love, for example, an Aston Martin. If by some miracle I can ever afford one I'll be handing over six figures for what is essentially just a car. I could probably buy a hundred perfectly good toyotas for the same price. Aston Martin wouldn't be ripping me off, as I could just as easily buy one of the toyotas to fulfil every function I'd ever require of a car. Also, I could spend the difference on ice cream from Gino's. I'd even buy you one. A large one! Why not? I'd be feckin' loaded!

:D

I think you're mixing up "expensive" and "over-priced". An Aston Martin is expensive, but not necessary overpriced.

The original poster who called Murphy's a rip-off obviously felt as though it cost a lot more than it was worth. Just because the prices are displayed and he had a choice to not buy it doesn't mean it's no longer a rip-off.

To use your examples, Dublin rent is still a rip-off whether you have to pay it or not. Electricity is still a rip-off even if the prices are displayed on the leaflet.

Advertisement