Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who You Gonna Vote: (Sligo Electoral Area)

Options
  • 18-05-2014 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

So Who You Gonna Vote #1? (Sligo Electoral Area) 64 votes

Sinéad Maguire Fine Gael
    0% 0 votes
    James Gilmartin Fine Gael
    7% 5 votes
    Thomas Collery Fine Gael
    1% 1 vote
    Hubert Keaney Fine Gael
    1% 1 vote
    Matt Lyons Fine Gael
    3% 2 votes
    David Cawley Fine Gael
    1% 1 vote
    Jim McGarry The Labour Party
    0% 0 votes
    Tom MacSharry Fianna Fáil
    4% 3 votes
    Dónal Gilroy Fianna Fáil
    0% 0 votes
    Seamus Kilgannon Fianna Fáil
    3% 2 votes
    Rosaleen O’Grady Fianna Fáil
    9% 6 votes
    Thomas Healy Sinn Féin
    3% 2 votes
    Kebba Cham Non Party
    6% 4 votes
    Declan Bree Non Party
    0% 0 votes
    Seamus O’Boyle People Before Profit
    6% 4 votes
    Marcella McGarry The Labour Party
    7% 5 votes
    Francis Cadden Non Party
    4% 3 votes
    James Higgins Fís Nua
    0% 0 votes
    Seán MacManus Sinn Féin
    3% 2 votes
    Marie Casserly Non Party
    12% 8 votes
    Veronica Cawley Non Party
    17% 11 votes
    Martina Butler Non Party
    4% 3 votes
    Patricia Gardiner Non Party
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Not a fecking clue yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Not a fecking clue yet.

A good way to be IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Kettleson wrote: »

Any chance you could do a poll for the Ballymote/Tubber electoral area too, please?

Any chance you could do a poll for the Ballymote/Tubber electoral area too, please?

Yeah will do. That's the first poll I've ever posted and didn't have time to do both. Will do that tomorrow morning. Bit of fun really, but hopefully interesting at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Today's debate is now online. Half of the Sligo candidates were on.

http://soundcloud.com/oceanfm/north-west-today-tues-20th-may

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Sure I mite give Jimmy McG a scratch somewhere down the line, ive an awful problem with badgers round the back a the house and not wan would sort it for me part from him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭mosstin

Tupamaros wrote: »
    Sure I mite give Jimmy McG a scratch somewhere down the line, ive an awful problem with badgers round the back a the house and not wan would sort it for me part from him

Did you badger him about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

Out of that list, 3 of them called to my house. One of them left their leaflet stuck in the frame of my door and one handed me their leaflet with just a smile.
    The last one was Veronica Cawley. She'll not be getting my vote. She claimed enough in the last year to keep her going for 4 years out of politics in my opinion.

I'm simply voting for new people, nobody who is currently a counsellor deserves a vote!

If Paddy Power was offering bets on this I'd be having a double on Marie Casserly and Seamus O'Boyle getting elected.

From what I'm hearing, both have a very strong support base. Interesting our wee straw poll reflects that (at the moment!).

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

If Paddy Power was offering bets on this I'd be having a double on Marie Casserly and Seamus O'Boyle getting elected.

From what I'm hearing, both have a very strong support base. Interesting our wee straw poll reflects that (at the moment!).
    I won't be voting for Casserly as she doesn't seem interested in any part of Sligo other than north Sligo. She doesn't seem to know where her constituency stretches to as all her focus is down there, but maybe she has enough support down there(I know she's known/liked down there) for her not to bother trying to put in the effort in town.

As for O'Boyle, I'd like to see him get in but I've no idea if he's got big enough support outside of certain parts of Sligo Town.

• Advertisement

Never mind paddy power, I'll take that bet. Create whatever odds you'd like and send the money on.

Whatever about Seamie, Casserliy won't have a hope after this morning. Fair enough she may not have been able to attend today's debate, however her statement read out can't instil much confidence in voters. Offering assurances that she will attend council meetings etc because she can arrange time off from her school for political events. Madness to think anyone could vote for that.

While I'd be delighted to see it, I don't think either will do it. Seamie I'm quite sure won't come anywhere close I'm afraid, and Casserly, I don't know the woman and I've heard she has some support, but I highly doubt it's enough to do the business.

I would expect strong showings from McManus (topping the poll), Keaney, Bree, and even McSharry might pull in a good vote. I expect O'Grady and Veronica to take a seat also, and 2 more FG seats. The last couple of seats are too hard to call. Who knows? Casserly, Healy, Gilmartin, McGuire, McGarry etc. all in the hunt. I don't see Cham, O'Boyle, Cadden, Butler, James Higgins as being at the races, and David Cawley has a LOT of work to do to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

James gilmartin is coming across as an arrogant individual in the interview. Donal gilroy spoke well. Pity Marie Casserley did not turn up. Would of liked to hear her views.

conavitzky wrote: »
    James gilmartin is coming across as an arrogant individual in the interview. Donal gilroy spoke well. Pity Marie Casserley did not turn up. Would of liked to hear her views.

Whatever about coming across as arrogant, he really lost the plot today. Not once but twice. Once on the water charges issue and secondly when confronted about the potential closing of maternity services in Sligo Regional. Deirdre O'Sullivan spoke well from the Save Our Services group too. She was well clued in on the similarities between the removal of cancer services by Fianna Fail and the Fine Gael proposal to "review" maternity services in Sligo regional hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Whatever about coming across as arrogant, he really lost the plot today. Not once but twice. Once on the water charges issue and secondly when confronted about the potential closing of maternity services in Sligo Regional. Deirdre O'Sullivan spoke well from the Save Our Services group too. She was well clued in on the similarities between the removal of cancer services by Fianna Fail and the Fine Gael proposal to "review" maternity services in Sligo regional hospital.

James Gilmartin came across as a hot head that is easy rattled, as for Donal Gilroy the mere sound of his voice would give ya piles! I would say that both Gilmartin and Gilroy were glad Marie Casserly didn't make it as she would have cleaned the floor with both of them

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    James Gilmartin came across as a hot head that is easy rattled, as for Donal Gilroy the mere sound of his voice would give ya piles! I would say that both Gilmartin and Gilroy were glad Marie Casserly didn't make it as she would have cleaned the floor with both of them

Did she canvass? I don't think I got a leaflet from her through the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Did she canvass? I don't think I got a leaflet from her through the door.
    Got a leaflet through the post. The quota is 1500-1700 I believe so I am going to assume she has canvased hard in her own area.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Got a leaflet through the post. The quota is 1500-1700 I believe so I am going to assume she has canvased hard in her own area.

Wow seems like a massive quota. Going to be interesting.

Here's the 2009 votes.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=4525

Will there be an opportunity for greater accountability with fewer players to keep an eye on? And what are the chances that anything will change?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

Ham Sambo wrote: »

My personal opinion on the debate.
    Donal Gilroy was well spoken but unfortunately for him people won't forget the legacy Fianna Fail have left us with.
    James Higgins is a single issue candidate.
    Healey span the no water charges mantra but he was rattled when it was pointed out that him party Iimplements substantially higher water charges across the border.
    Martin Cadden seems a nice guy ... but maybe too nice for politics ... not vocal enough.
    James Gilmartin was vocal and dominant ... He seemed to be getting concerted attacks focused on him from various plants in the audience. .. He seems to be primarily focused on the rural community ... I doubt that he will get much support from the can't pay/ won't pay anarchist groups.
    Thomas Collary was too softly spoken .. just not vocal enough.
    Hubert Keaney arrived in late which is inexcusable .
    Hubert seems intelligent but not a dominant enough character.
    Kebba Cham was a no show.
    Most glaring absence was the non attendance of Maria Casserly ... This was an unforgettable snub to the people of electoral area.
    Sending her husband to represent her was simply not good enough ... If she gets elected will she be sending her husband to represent her on the council.
    She knew from the minute that she entered the election race that there was going to be a radio debate so her lame excuse for not attending was not valid... Was she afraid to be put under the spotlight in a radio debate
    The debate was hijacked by various individuals mostly from the no to everything groups.
    My overall view is that Gilroy seems able but I can't ever forgive Fianna Fail, Healy would probably work hard but his party's anti-European stance goads me ... you don't bite the hand that feeds .... also I can't help thinking of the screams of the McConville children the night that their mother was taken from them to be brutally murdered
    Gilmartin was domineering but I like that ... I want someone vocal fighting my corner
    The rest of the people in the debate were ineffectual ... simply not strong enough to get their view across .... We need strong vocal candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

56lcd wrote: »
    Thomas Collary was too softly spoken .. just not vocal enough.
    I don't know the guy as he wasn't previously in my area but he made a fool of himself by saying he'd be better off on the dole when being asked about their pay and expenses. That's an insulting thing to say, particularly when he's in a party which is in charge at a time when Ireland has such a high number of people on the dole, despite the number of jobs his party are supposedly creating every week. As if the dole is anything close to their wages and expenses. That's enough to put me off giving him any number on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 In Fairness

Re Casserly- I know she has canvassed extensively all over the constit area. Hard when you're not with the big machines. Hard worker, gets product, talks common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I know she has canvassed extensively all over the constit area. Hard when you're not with the big machines. Hard worker, gets product, talks common sense.
    Who???

Wow seems like a massive quota. Going to be interesting.
    not really I think the area has just over 40K
    red sean wrote: »
    Who???
    Casserly

shanec1928 wrote: »
    not really I think the area has just over 40K

Casserly

...compared to 2009? The quota was much lower. I'm thinking that only McManus and Bree stand a chance of getting elected on the first count? Am I getting this wrong?

2009: first count:

Sligo Strandhill 7 Seats Note these are only Tally figures
    Tony McLoughlin (FG) - Tally 2001 prediction / will be elected
    Declan Bree (IND) - Tally 1328 prediction / will be elected
    Sean MacManus (SF) - Tally 1027 prediction / will be elected
    Deirdre H-McGowan (FF) - Tally 797
    Imelda Henry (FG) - Tally 665
    Rosaleen O'Grady (FF) - Tally 594
    Jim McGarry (LAB) - Tally 498
    Albert Higgins (FF) - Tally 437

Sligo Drumcliff 6 Seats Note these are only Tally figures
    Veronica Cawley (LAB) - Tally 669 prediction / will be elected
    Jude Devins (FF) second - Tally 507 prediction / will be elected
    Arthur Gibbons (SF) -Tally 430 prediction / will be elected
    Seamus Kilgannon (FF) - Tally 373
    Keaney (FG) - Tally 372
    Matt Lyons (FG) - Tally 345

Ballymote - 4 Seats - (Quota 1181)
    Gerard Mullaney (FG) - Elected (Poll-Topper at 1437)
    Martin Baker (FF) - Elected (At 1208)
    Thomas Collery (FG) - Elected without reaching quota
    Pat McGrath (FG) - Elected without reaching quota

Dromore West - 4 Seats - (Quota 1284)
    Michael Clarke (Ind) - Elected (Poll-topper)
    Mary Barrett (FG) - Elected (At 1390 with transfers)
    Joseph Queenan (FF) - Elected (At 1298 with transfers)
    Dara Mulvey (FG) Elected (At 1298 with transfers)

Tubbercurry - 4 Seats - (Quota 1185)
    Margaret Gormley (Ind) Elected (Poll topper at 2162 votes)
    Gerry Murray (FG) Elected (At 1211 votes)
    Jerry Lundy (FF) Elected (At 1266 votes)
    Michael Fleming (FG) elected without reaching quota

Edit: I'm just copping on, is this a much larger electoral area?

Edit: I'm just copping on, is this a much larger electoral area?
    far larger. from top of north sligo out to ballisodare and collooney and all in between those areas.

Map of the area

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dringe123

My policy from the start was to vote for new people & punish outgoing candidates. However I've only decided on Sinead Maguire & possibly Tom McSharry so far. I had considered Marie Casserly but not impressed that she didn't take part in the debate & worse that she sent her husband! Will have to research a bit more about the others. Might give Bree a stroke....even though he's of the old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

My top 4 in sligo electoral area , not as party candidates but as people, sean mcmanus, david cawley, seamie o boyle, matt lyons. i understand that their policies are chalk and cheese but think a compromise can be achieved.

Dont like marian harkin , but poor alternatives in european elections as a sligo person. dont want to vote for ming , might give jim higgins a tick.

not going to vote for people for the sake of they might be better than what we have already !!

Disappointed that Marie Casserly didn't show at the Ocean Debate. Such an avoidable banana skin to slip up on. Folk were bound to point the finger about her ability to attend meetings and the like.

And it would be a fair point. Shows a lack of understanding as to how these cute political hoors operate on instinct. Really let her guard down there.

The very least she should have declared that if she were elected she would take a sabbatical. I mean, couldn't attend because she had a Junior/leaving Cert class? Come on!

Has she made any statement to address her opponents faithful who are using this to her detriment?

I really want the independents to do well, but that was an unnecessary spanner in her campaign. Some damage limitation needed ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

Dringe123 wrote: »
    My policy from the start was to vote for new people & punish outgoing candidates. However I've only decided on Sinead Maguire & possibly Tom McSharry so far. I had considered Marie Casserly but not impressed that she didn't take part in the debate & worse that she sent her husband! Will have to research a bit more about the others. Might give Bree a stroke....even though he's of the old stock.

Isn't Tom related to Marc, who is old stock and Fianna Fail to boot? I'm against the nepotism rampant in politics. He canvassed my street but said nothing and just threw a leaflet and ran off. Get the impression that he's just a young silver spoon solicitor looking to bring the gravy train back home.

I'd love to see Vincent Browne host a debate with this lot the way he did last night with the ones from Westmeath. He made short work of them, great to see someone show how easy it is to roast these chancers who haven't got a clue.

I am uninspired by this lot to say the least, might just vote for the taxi driver fella and SF, there will be not a single vote from me for any FF, FG or Lab. I prefer independents but I don't trust Bree, while Cawley claimed obscene expenses which disgusted me.

Matt Lyons voted against the recent legislation for women in danger to be allowed to have an abortion. No way would I ever vote for him.

• Advertisement

The debates were underwhelming in my view, largely due to the number of candidates. Very difficult job for Niall. That said, a few talking points emerged (apart from the Martin Ford Affair and some muffled scuffles in the second debate).

The first debate felt a little bit like the B-team were playing. I think Keaney will do well, Healy has a chance etc. but overall the second debate had a stronger field. I sympathise with Gilmartin in that the audience member who called him a liar offered zero specificity. However, his reaction was just way over the top, he seems to have a very short fuse which isn't a positive. Was he not thinking of PR?

Healy's stunt with the water was quite good, and he was a very decent performer. Higgins has no chance at all. Would have liked to have heard Casserly, may cost her a preference with me despite a preference for non-mainstream candidates as I simply know nothing about her.

In the second debate, (it was difficult to identify some voices at times) McManus shone and Bree spoke passionately as usual. Both should do well, with McManus possibly topping the poll (depends how SF managed the division of the electoral area). Understandably, Lab got ferociously attacked, and I don't see Marcella making it. Jimmy the wily fox cannot be ruled out, he's long enough in the tooth to give himself a fighting chance. Both were underwhelming, particuarly Marcella. Also, Jimmy could do with learning when the election is on, might help.

Sinead McGuire seems nice, but received a serious bashing over health service promises and kept her head down after that for the remainder of the debate. Tony McLoughlin is pushing hard for her on the ground with FG/local loyalists, which I'm sure is not appreciated by Lyons/Cawley. I thought Cawley was considered in his approach as usual, and is a nice guy, but I don't see him making it. Tony's canvassing may have seen to that.

O'Grady was decent (apart from the laughable comment at the end about protecting the elderly. Medical cards anyone?), and Tom McSharry wasn't good or bad. Seamie spoke well enough, echoing much of Bree's message in a perhaps less articulate way, but passionate nonetheless. Matt Lyons spent a lot of time attacking Bree, the Indos and SF, which sounded a little bit tetchy to be honest.

Gardiner was a non-event. Kilgallen wasn't the best, but not quite the worst either. Veronica was solid if unspectacular (like the majority I think).

On a side not, it amuses me to see people saying they won't vote for sitting Cllrs. and want to shake things up a bit, and then just vote for younger party hacks of the same old parties. The faces aren't the issue you should be voting on, it's policies (plus integrity).

Advertisement