Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who You Gonna Vote: (Sligo Electoral Area)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Speakeasy11

Tell you the truth, I'm not voting for independents or People before profit because they're anti everything- great opposition position but doesn't work practically when they have to make decisions. As for mouthing off about charges? It would suit some of them to do a days work and then they might understand the plight of the ordinary tax paying citizen...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Sligored wrote: »
    My top 4 in sligo electoral area , not as party candidates but as people, sean mcmanus, david cawley, seamie o boyle, matt lyons. i understand that their policies are chalk and cheese but think a compromise can be achieved.

Dont like marian harkin , but poor alternatives in european elections as a sligo person. dont want to vote for ming , might give jim higgins a tick.

not going to vote for people for the sake of they might be better than what we have already !!

The type of compromise reached between Seamie O'Boyle and Matt Lyons would most likely involve the former's anti-austerity boot up the latter's howl. :o

Tell you the truth, I'm not voting for independents or People before profit because they're anti everything- great opposition position but doesn't work practically when they have to make decisions. As for mouthing off about charges? It would suit some of them to do a days work and then they might understand the plight of the ordinary tax paying citizen...

Yes, all the independents and PBP are layabouts and spongers who have never done 'a days work'. Tell me this, was it you who caused all this Martin Ford dramatica? :o:pac:

I'm talking about people who have never worked a day in their lives pre-recession or post. People who are able to criticise but not to plan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

What's practical about the water charge? Not much.
    The decisions being made currently are forcing austerity on the most vulnerable and the poorest in society. Not the ones who caused the mess and not those who are well off. This policy of taking from the poor and giving to the filthy rich has to stop. If a candidate does not agree they won't be getting my vote.

• Advertisement

sligoface wrote: »
    What's practical about the water charge? Not much.
    The decisions being made currently are forcing austerity on the most vulnerable and the poorest in society. Not the ones who caused the mess and not those who are well off. This policy of taking from the poor and giving to the filthy rich has to stop. If a candidate does not agree they won't be getting my vote.

The Troika insisted on water charges as part of the ninth review of the bailout. We had NO choice and any local candidate who says they can do something about this is lying...

I'm talking about people who have never worked a day in their lives pre-recession or post. People who are able to criticise but not to plan...

The 'not worked a day in their lives' refrain, and those of a similar nature, are tired substitutes in Irish politics for real policy discussion. Play the ball, not the man (or woman).

The Troika insisted on water charges as part of the ninth review of the bailout. We had NO choice and any local candidate who says they can do something about this is lying...

I thought the troika was gone? So FG/Lab gov. supporters take credit for getting rid of the troika, but say it's now forcing in the new water charges? Would you ever behave yourself. The government had a large degree of fiscal autonomy to raise revenue as it wished under the Troika. And now it's gone, so why on earth would you suggest the government are being forced to implement a policy by a body that has left?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I didn't listen to all of the first part of the radio broadcast. It was so dull I went about more necessary business. What's the story with Martin F' saying he was sorry for something and the mention of a gun?

I was talking to Bree last night. He is a lot more friendly/approachable/amenable in person than the impression he gives out on the radio. He always sounds anxiously aggressive to me on radio. He could do with a bit of PR advice.

McManus streets ahead in that respect.

Just for a bit of fun... who was the best and worst canvasser you met during the campaign?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Just for a bit of fun... who was the best and worst canvasser you met during the campaign?

The Best: Anyone actually with a candidate and who I spoke with.

The Worst: Those too afraid to knock on the door.

Best Sean McManus. Head and shoulders above all those that I met. The business. Diplomatic, knowledgeable, keen, interested, ready to shake things up.

Worst: Veronica Cawley. Seemed in a rush and disinterested. Conversation went something like "I'm Veronica Cawley, I'm from the town, can I depend on your vote?"....errr... But fair play to her, I only met a few. So she's not really the "worst". I had a good few "Sorry missed you" when I was in the house and the doorbell didn't ring. At least Veronica waited to chat.

Have to give McGarry a mention, although I'm loathed to give the "Labour" Party anything, from a local perspective, he knows his stuff and will probably work hard if he gets in.

O'Boyle: Didn't meet, did well enough on the Ocean Debate and hope to meet before I vote.

Casserly: Didn't meet. I think she was canvassing early in the day and should have held back until the obvious fight was on. No-show at Ocean debate. Not good for whatever reason.

I cant really give a strong preference to someone I know very little about (apart from a few brief You Tube vids). Which is a shame, she seems a genuine sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

Kettleson wrote: »
    Best Sean McManus. Head and shoulders above all those that I met. The business. Diplomatic, knowledgeable, keen, interested, ready to shake things up.

Worst: Veronica Cawley. Seemed in a rush and disinterested. Conversation went something like "I'm Veronica Cawley, I'm from the town, can I depend on your vote?"....errr... But fair play to her, I only met a few. So she's not really the "worst". I had a good few "Sorry missed you" when I was in the house and the doorbell didn't ring. At least Veronica waited to chat.

Casserly: Didn't meet. I think she was canvassing early in the day and should have held back until the obvious fight was on. No-show at Ocean debate. Not good for whatever reason.

I cant really give a strong preference to someone I know very little about (apart from a few brief You Tube vids).]

Didn't Marie Casserly gain a lot of publicity about election posters

56lcd wrote: »
    Didn't Marie Casserly gain a lot of publicity about election posters

LOL! Promise broken already!

I saw billboards along the road, but no actually posters? Or did Casserly have posters in the end?

Polling booths are quiet so far, from what I understand.

I saw billboards along the road, but no actually posters? Or did Casserly have posters in the end?

Polling booths are quiet so far, from what I understand.

Ooops sorry, I thought they were the same?

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=31008

Marie wasn't the only one that had problems with people tampering with election posters

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=31121

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

In fairness to her, when no other party/candidate was willing to do the same she was left at a disadvantage (profilewise).
    If you can't beat, join them scenario!
    As an independent standing for the first time, she needed as much publicity as possible.
    I think the new CoCo should bring in a bye-law stating a blanket ban on election posters, and let future candidates call personally, use social media, local papers, local radio etc. and it would leave a leveller playing field.
    But more importantly, less litter and defacement of the environment.

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=31008

Marie wasn't the only one that had problems with people tampering with election posters

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=31121

Yeah, shows you the desperate mentality of the "party faithful". For many, I sincerely hope the game is up. I'm looking forward to the results coming in tomorrow. Ocean do great coverage.

Whoever it is that gets elected, it is up to us to keep an eye on them and make sure they work for us, and not themselves and their cronies as so often before.

red sean wrote: »
    In fairness to her, when no other party/candidate was willing to do the same she was left at a disadvantage (profilewise).
    If you can't beat, join them scenario!
    As an independent standing for the first time, she needed as much publicity as possible.
    I think the new CoCo should bring in a bye-law stating a blanket ban on election posters, and let future candidates call personally, use social media, local papers, local radio etc. and it would leave a leveller playing field.
    But more importantly, less litter and defacement of the environment.

A number of candidates did not put up any posters.
    Sinead Maguire and Marie Casserly were the worst culprits when it came to posters/billboards .... who paid for these posters or are both candidates filthy rich and paid for them out of their own pockets. .. It looked like some candidates were trying to buy the election

• Advertisement

A number of candidates did not put up any posters.
    Sinead Maguire and Marie Casserly were the worst culprits when it came to posters/billboards .... who paid for these posters or are both candidates filthy rich and paid for them out of their own pockets. .. It looked like some candidates were trying to buy the election

For many it seemed to be a case of "re-use, recycle" and not for the right reasons:D

And I think, for those candidates, it will be the last time they see an election.

Ooops sorry, I thought they were the same?

To be honest I would say they're the same. Less of them perhaps would be her argument, but it's much a muchness.

In case you haven't read this yet:

Editorial from Sligo Today:

"There will be blood..... Many candidates, with foreboding trepidation, are anticipating that the local election will be a bloodbath and by definition, in the words of the Daniel Day-Lewis film, There Will Be Blood!

This week is perhaps the most significant in the Sligo local political scene with the loss of over half of all representative seats.

With an unmanageable burden of debt on the county, a legacy of the previous county manager and several of his cohorts who are still employed and basking in totally undeserved remuneration packages, it's time for the good burghers of Sligo to do the right thing now and take control by exercising their democratic vote on Friday in a practical way.

It's time for party or candidate loyalty to be put aside in favour of a more pragmatic and functioning council.

In doing so, serious questions have to be asked of the candidates in both electoral areas where strong experienced hands on the tiller are needed more than ever. There can be no excuse for personal agendas and the savvy voters must analyse each and every candidate as to what they can bring to the greatly reduced table.

With the abolition of the juryesque twelve-person Borough Council and the downsizing of the twenty-five seat County Council to a mere eighteen, it's time for absolute scrutiny in the selection those who will guide and be the decision makers in developing Sligo for the next five years and beyond.

There are a number of factors that have to be seriously considered such as is the person you are voting for intending on completing their appointed term. Are they merely using their valuable Council seat, and your vote, as a stepping stone to higher office or retirement? We have witnessed that in the past and saw unelected, inexperienced citizens promoted to a position where their input was questionable to say the least. That intolerable situation must not be repeated. Sligo,in its current crisis, cannot endure unelectable, inept chumps foisted upon them.

Secondly, will health matters or family commitments prevent the elected representative from attending meetings and carrying out their duties to the standard now required...and needed.

With regard to existing councillors seeking re-election, have you looked at the candidate's track record in presenting realistic and meaningful motions during their previous tenure. If they, and there are some, who sat there, said very little, apart from inane platitudes thereby contributing very little, if anything, to the significant development of Sligo, town and county.

Although experience is an invaluable advantage at such a challenging time, a new fresh voice can be a welcome addition and within the candidature caucus, the electorate are being presented with a vast and varied choice.,

While the new council under a Mayor in Sligo and a Cathaoirleach in Ballymote-Tubbercurry will have no power to change water charges or property tax they can, with the direction of the County Manager, Ciarán Hayes, ensure that a debacle like the Lissadell fiasco can never be repeated.

Mr Hayes, who will now be the CEO of the Council, has already unveiled his dynamic plan to bring the Authority into line with the ideals of real local government and it is hoped that the newly elected council will give him the support needed to implement the changes to make Sligo great again and consign his predecessor's period of influence to the pages of history and forgotten.

If some of the existing conclave are consigned to the wilderness, a handsome stipend, or 'scrappage' payment will no doubt soften the blow of rejection. However if the public backlash against the principal parties causes some local casualties, it could see the loss of some genuine and hardworking councillors which would truly be a shame.

I would personally thank all the outgoing councillors for their courtesy and respect to the Sligo Today team over their term and during its formative years thus assisting its rise to its now recognised prominence and status.

Finally, I would extend my gratitude to all those candidates who supported and participated in the Sligo Today Election Special 2014. It was a privilege to have been part of your campaign and I wish you the very best in the election, as I do for all the hopefuls. I look forward to seeing you again at the Count Centre in The Clarion Hotel on Saturday...and most likely Sunday.

Exitus Acta Probat (The result validates the deeds)

Ciarán McCarthy
    Editor
    SligoToday.ie
    Posted on 22/05/14 : 21:08:31

So who did you guys end up voting for? I'm away but if I was home, I would have given it to Cllr Jimmy mcGarry- for his stance on Lissadell and because he's a hard worker

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

In order

2 IND's
    2 SF
    1 FG - Meant to vote Cawley but made a mistake :(
    Mr. LP.

I wonder did that happen much with 2 Cawleys and 2 McGarrys?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I wonder did that happen much with 2 Cawleys and 2 McGarrys?

I should say I managed to vote a different FG candidate. Silly me I know, I wouldn't mind if one I mistakenly chosen wasn't so useless.

Not a hope in hell would I vote Ms. Cawley!

Hope David Cawley does well, the most capable on the FG ticket imo. I predict a strong SF surge across the country tomorrow, but who knows if that will translate into a seat for Thomas Healy. Jimmy, Marcella, Lyons, Collery are all in trouble I think.

Never mind paddy power, I'll take that bet. Create whatever odds you'd like and send the money on.

Whatever about Seamie, Casserliy won't have a hope after this morning. Fair enough she may not have been able to attend today's debate, however her statement read out can't instil much confidence in voters. Offering assurances that she will attend council meetings etc because she can arrange time off from her school for political events. Madness to think anyone could vote for that.

Are you still offering odds on the Casserly O'Boyle double?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

After 50 (of 63) boxes it looks like Bree and MacManus are finishing top 2, well out in front unsurprisingly. Unfortunately the whole family connection seems to still work and MacSharry looks like he's in, along with O'Grady. Seamie O'Boyle looks in aswell, which is great. Casserly could be in aswell, despite the fact she couldn't be bothered showing up for the debate.

Keep refreshing this page for the latest tally http://sligotally.azurewebsites.net/sligocouncil2014.htm

Advertisement