Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who You Gonna Vote: (Sligo Electoral Area)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Never mind paddy power, I'll take that bet. Create whatever odds you'd like and send the money on.

Whatever about Seamie, Casserliy won't have a hope after this morning. Fair enough she may not have been able to attend today's debate, however her statement read out can't instil much confidence in voters. Offering assurances that she will attend council meetings etc because she can arrange time off from her school for political events. Madness to think anyone could vote for that.
    thebuzz wrote: »
    After 50 (of 63) boxes it looks like Bree and MacManus are finishing top 2, well out in front unsurprisingly. Unfortunately the whole family connection seems to still work and MacSharry looks like he's in, along with O'Grady. Seamie O'Boyle looks in aswell, which is great. Casserly could be in aswell, despite the fact she couldn't be bothered showing up for the debate.

Keep refreshing this page for the latest tally http://sligotally.azurewebsites.net/sligocouncil2014.htm

Casserly looks a cert now.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

voted mcGarry, hope he gets in, approachable chap

voted mcGarry, hope he gets in, approachable chap

He'll be in a sweat right now. Not sure how he will fare on the transfers. I wonder would he have done better as an Indpendent? But yeah, he's a worker for sure and from what I know of him, he keeps his word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Kettleson wrote: »
    Are you still offering odds on the Casserly O'Boyle double?

Cautiously yes. Both doing very well but I think transfers might get Seamie.

I'd be putting my money on Kilgannon to get one of what looks like the last 3 seats. He should do well in the transfers.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think you're right. O' Boyle should get votes from Bree. It's nip and tuck all the way to the line now.

I'd think O'Boyle, McGarry and Kilgannon might make last 3 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Really? I'd be confident Seamie will get in at this stage.

Really? I'd be confident Seamie will get in at this stage.

O'Boyle should get a big vote from the outstanding St Edwards box and Bree transferrals. I hope he does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

O'Boyle should get a big vote from the outstanding St Edwards box and Bree transferrals. I hope he does well.
    Surprisingly he only picked up 7 there.

Surprisingly he only picked up 7 there.

Yeah, but Bree polled well in all those booths and Seamie should get a big transfer.

• Advertisement

Fair play to Seamus Killgannon for standing his ground after his non selection by his own party. Shows the character of the man.deserves to get in on that alone.

I think there's one last seat to call. I think McGarry will take it.

I think there's one last seat to call. I think McGarry will take it.

And who are the other 2? Kilgannon O'Boyle?

And who are the other 2? Kilgannon O'Boyle?

Bree, Casserly, Maguire, McManus, Healy, O'Grady, MacSharry, Kilgannon, Collery and McGarry for me.

Bree, Casserly, Maguire, McManus, Healy, O'Grady, MacSharry, Kilgannon, Collery and McGarry for me.

Where would Collery be getting the transfers from? Bree surplus first and then Cawleys and M McGarrys elimination? Surely going to McGarry and O'Boyle? Any chance of €50 double on Seamie and Marie?:D

Where would Collery be getting the transfers from? Bree surplus first and then Cawleys and M McGarrys elimination? Surely going to McGarry and O'Boyle? Any chance of €50 double on Seamie and Marie?:D

Not Collery sorry. Don't know how he ended up in that list. Possibly but not likely for him.

You come to the clarion and pay up front. 3/1 odds.

Not Collery sorry. Don't know how he ended up in that list. Possibly but not likely for him.

You come to the clarion and pay up front. 3/1 odds.

Hahaha! Cheers..... Might do a treble with Ireland to win the Eurovision 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Seamie's looking good so far for a seat, and with transfers and such from the likes of Bree, he should do fairly well. Currently sitting 8th after the tallies.

Hahaha! Cheers..... Might do a treble with Ireland to win the Eurovision 2015.

After seeing how the votes looked when I left, all bets are off.

After seeing how the votes looked when I left, all bets are off.

Seamie looks nailed on now. Not meaning to jump the gun, has there been any similar upsets in recent County Council voting?

Go on Seamie! Taxi to the Town Hall! or is it Riverside?

• Advertisement

The pundits at Ocean FM, T McLoughlin, J Devins, A Higgins et al, aren't giving Seamie O'Boyle a chance on transferals. They seem to have forgotten that this election reflected the majority dissatisfaction of the regular sitting Councillors.

Why would transferals reflect anything different? Stuck in their blinkered ways that lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

The pundits at Ocean FM, T McLoughlin, J Devins, A Higgins et al, aren't giving Seamie O'Boyle a chance on transferals. They seem to have forgotten that this election reflected the majority dissatisfaction of the regular sitting Councillors.

Why would transferals reflect anything different? Stuck in their blinkered ways that lot.
    if shamie makes it in along with Bree, McManus and Healy does that mean we won't have to pay any water charges or property tax ... After all that is what they were promising people prior to the election

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Veronica Cawley rekons that Seamie will pick up a lot of her transfers....

As for the water charges. If they bin them on a local level, they need to recover the lost revenue from somewhere else, that's the problem

56lcd wrote: »
    if shamie makes it in along with Bree, McManus and Healy does that mean we won't have to pay any water charges or property tax ... After all that is what they were promising people prior to the election

The reality is that some sort or compromise will have to be made. I don't know (do any of us outside do the Council) know where other savings could be made within Council spending. The Liasdell debacle was nothing short of selfish recklessness. The balls of 10 million would have went a long way in off-setting the water charges.

The main thing is that decreasing wages, and increasing taxes are addressed.

And taxes have to be fair and justified, and not just allowing previous ruling parties to tax the food off our tables to support the crooked banks and their bond holders. That has to be their priority. And we should make it our business to ensure that the elected stick to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Veronica Cawley rekons that Seamie will pick up a lot of her transfers....

As for the water charges. If they bin them on a local level, they need to recover the lost revenue from somewhere else, that's the problem

Is everyone on cloud cuckoo land around here? Does anyone honestly think that any of the elected councillors can influence whether water charges are brought in or not? The reality is that the influence of councillors over spending in their area is getting less and less. Discretionary road grants are being decimated. On Issues relating to water and foul sewage they have to call Irish water. The public would want to get their heads out of the clouds if they think some of the pre-election agendas being bandied about by certain individuals will be entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

conavitzky wrote: »
    Is everyone on cloud cuckoo land around here? Does anyone honestly think that any of the elected councillors can influence whether water charges are brought in or not? The reality is that the influence of councillors over spending in their area is getting less and less. Discretionary road grants are being decimated. On Issues relating to water and foul sewage they have to call Irish water. The public would want to get their heads out of the clouds if they think some of the pre-election agendas being bandied about by certain individuals will be entertained.

Not much mention of the €100 million or so debt that Sligo Co.Co has either....how do they think that's going to be sorted?

56lcd wrote: »
    after a all that is what they were promising people prior to the election

No, no it was not. The council will have little to no control over the water charges introduction or charge. The charge is set by the government in consultation with the CER.
    Also after the elections it depends on who gets elected and the majority pact made.

For what it's worth. The Boards Poll would have elected:
    Sinead Maguire
    Jim McGarry
    Seamus Kilgannon
    Thomas Healy
    Declan Bree
    Seamus O'Boyle
    Marcella McGarry
    Sean McManus
    Marie Casserly
    Veronica Cawley.

At this stage, 2 of those eliminated.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who took time out of your busy schedules to vote.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

I think it has to be said that there was a very poor vote management strategies by the main parties in this region for this election - FF, FG and Labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

SPM1959 wrote: »
    I think it has to be said that there was a very poor vote management strategies by the main parties in this region for this election - FF, FG and Labour.

Looking at the distribution on the Sligo coco webpage and it really is all over the place. FF/Lab/Ind all getting some of Matt Lyons' runoff. SF very tidy by comparison. Hardly giving anyone else the steam of their piss, never mind a lower preference.

Advertisement