Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who You Gonna Vote: (Sligo Electoral Area)

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

SPM1959 wrote: »
    I think it has to be said that there was a very poor vote management strategies by the main parties in this region for this election - FF, FG and Labour.

On this occasion, I don't think it would have made any real difference (?). Could you give any examples of where you think a result could possibly have been different?

Edit: Granted, The Labour Party transferral from Marcella to Jimmy was shocking...but shows more the breakdown in the Sligo Labour Party and Labour in general. I think membership is now down to 20 members in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Jim McGarry has conceded defeat and is retiring from politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

I think it has to be said, Ocean fm have done a fantastic job on the election counts.
    Well done Niall Delaney and staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Well that's it folks.

Seamie, Kilgannon and Keaney with the last three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Interesting to note that a lot of people have already forgotten the legacy we inherited from FF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

So 10 seat results for Sligo town (and it's electoral area) no labour seats, only 2 FG - I'm living in the Ballymote/Tubber area and still wondering why a recount from 2pm today (2 candidates 1 vote between them) still isn't in. Well done to our local radio station for keeping me in the loop -

Just regretting that I didn't get a layer for the O'Boyle /Casserly double.! :P:D

Been a gas. Really enjoyed the Ocean FM coverage and the Boards opinions and banter. Cheers folks. Keep your eyes on our elected! Night.

Kettleson wrote: »
    If Paddy Power was offering bets on this I'd be having a double on Marie Casserly and Seamus O'Boyle getting elected.

From what I'm hearing, both have a very strong support base. Interesting our wee straw poll reflects that (at the moment!).

Signing off with this...from 20/05/14.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Delighted to see Bree top the poll, an honest fighter for his constituents who isn't afraid to speak out. Also extremely happy for the 2 Sinn Fein lads. Sean has flown the flag for a long time now and when it wasn't popular to do so, and it's also a sign of the times (and his hard work) that Healy has done the business. I think most people are also glad to see Seamie get a seat, a decent man who has a great opportunity now. He will augment Bree, SF etc. and will be a voice for the ordinary people. The dynamic will be interesting.

One point of surprise has been Veronica's implosion. Lost so many votes, and in a much larger electoral area. I'm thinking the expenses issue killed her. Marcella's lack of transfers to Jimmy was something else, the Labour party in Sligo is a complete farce. There are barely any pieces to pick up now.

Will be fascinated to see what Casserly does, had no contact with her and know nothing about her. She didn't turn up to the debate and yet gets this great vote. She's from FG stock, so I hope she is more independent minded and not a blueshirt once you scratch the surface.

On another point, FG seem to have totally shafted David Cawley (and Lyons too), and supported an unknown in McGuire with all their resources. If anyone in the know has anything to say on that it'd make for interesting reading, I just can't figure it!

Good to see the posters taken down very quickly. Did anybody not vote, I didn't, there are all a bunch of self absorbed liars!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Tupamaros wrote: »
    Delighted to see Bree top the poll, an honest fighter for his constituents who isn't afraid to speak out. Also extremely happy for the 2 Sinn Fein lads. Sean has flown the flag for a long time now and when it wasn't popular to do so, and it's also a sign of the times (and his hard work) that Healy has done the business. I think most people are also glad to see Seamie get a seat, a decent man who has a great opportunity now. He will augment Bree, SF etc. and will be a voice for the ordinary people. The dynamic will be interesting.

One point of surprise has been Veronica's implosion. Lost so many votes, and in a much larger electoral area. I'm thinking the expenses issue killed her. Marcella's lack of transfers to Jimmy was something else, the Labour party in Sligo is a complete farce. There are barely any pieces to pick up now.

Will be fascinated to see what Casserly does, had no contact with her and know nothing about her. She didn't turn up to the debate and yet gets this great vote. She's from FG stock, so I hope she is more independent minded and not a blueshirt once you scratch the surface.

On another point, FG seem to have totally shafted David Cawley (and Lyons too), and supported an unknown in McGuire with all their resources. If anyone in the know has anything to say on that it'd make for interesting reading, I just can't figure it!

I'm going to sound incredibly cynical and I'm sure I'm in the minority but I really can't see the draw of Declan Bree. A fighter for the people but for all his fighting the town is still in a sorry state, not because of him but maybe in spite of him. I'm open to have my mind changed, so can someone please point me to details of all the positive things he's done? I can't find much searching myself but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

In the next election if I shout and beat a drum and stand against 'the man' will I be a shoe in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Speakeasy11

-Looking at Marcella's transfers to Rosaleen o'Grady it seems likely a deal was done. Not cool at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Still a fair few posters up but most are from Candidates that lost out...probably harder to motivate their support teams to get cracking and take them down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Still a fair few posters up but most are from Candidates that lost out...probably harder to motivate their support teams to get cracking and take them down though.

They have until midnight this Friday to remove them. Hopefully they'll take the cable ties as well. After that I'll have no problem emailing the Litter Warden with Sligo CoCo with pictures and details.

Now I just wish someone would take down the feckin Nathan Carter billboards, he's in my sights too.

rizzodun wrote: »
    I'm going to sound incredibly cynical and I'm sure I'm in the minority but I really can't see the draw of Declan Bree. A fighter for the people but for all his fighting the town is still in a sorry state, not because of him but maybe in spite of him. I'm open to have my mind changed, so can someone please point me to details of all the positive things he's done? I can't find much searching myself but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

In the next election if I shout and beat a drum and stand against 'the man' will I be a shoe in?

His stance on the bridge over towards the glasshouse was one of principle, and importantly, of fiscal rectitude, perhaps saving the council upto 2 million euro. He's also a tireless worker on the ground in terms of helping constituents, hence his huge support. So he combines principles with hard work, acting as a watchdog as others vote through fantasy budgets.

It's not a matter of being against 'the man' and reaping in the votes, the guy has been around for 4 decades, if it was all bluster then he wouldn't be topping polls 4 decades on. There is a lot of substance there, and the people of Sligo clearly recognise it. The bridge example being one prominent one in recent years.

-Looking at Marcella's transfers to Rosaleen o'Grady it seems likely a deal was done. Not cool at all...

I've no idea if Marcella would actually be thinking in any way about another candidate. Maybe she did an unoffical deal, I doubt it though. Still, her and jimmy don't get on too well (does she get on with anyone though enough to do such a deal?) but those transfers are hard to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Speakeasy11

His stance on the bridge over towards the glasshouse was one of principle, and importantly, of fiscal rectitude, perhaps saving the council upto 2 million euro. He's also a tireless worker on the ground in terms of helping constituents, hence his huge support. So he combines principles with hard work, acting as a watchdog as others vote through fantasy budgets.

It's not a matter of being against 'the man' and reaping in the votes, the guy has been around for 4 decades, if it was all bluster then he wouldn't be topping polls 4 decades on. There is a lot of substance there, and the people of Sligo clearly recognise it. The bridge example being one prominent one in recent years.

- Most of your points are good one but in terms of Bree- he keeps harping on about these "fantasy budgets" recently yet he hasn't come out through the years with solid information which is tangible and can be debated. I think he's great at the whole shouting ppl down but what kind of watchdog is he? Years of fighting with the Executive about petty things like when a email was sent doesn't make him a watchdog. He shut the Borough down for a year with things like the public toilets put on the backburner. I'm not doubting that he's a hard worker but many hard workers didn't poll half as well. He's getting on too as is MacManus and I can guarantee you many of the newly elected won't condescend to talk to people with real problems such as housing or social welfare. It was a strange election, a very public protest and some smoke and mirrors stuff went on with the maternity and cancer services issues. For example I heard the radio debates and the Cancer Service Rep asking how do the FG/Lab Counciilors feel about the bus leaving for Galway- well I know people some of them deceased who were on that bus long before the limited services were removed from the General. Also FF making hay with a report which never suggested for one minute that women wouldn't be able to deliver babies at Sligo General. Why didn't the candidates come out fighting? And don't get me started on the water charges- some ppl genuinely thought they would avoid paying them if they elected certain candidates. I have no problem with the likes of Bree and MacManus getting their seats and Thomas Healy seems a nice, genuine man but some of the other choices are extraordinary. I have a feeling that in 5 years time people will look back and regret their decisions this time around.................

I'm not denying what your saying, like I said I cant find anything myself, so will have to take what other people say, but I can not think of one thing he has done for my area (Ballytivnan/Rathbraughan) in the years I've lived here, he certainly hasn't called to my door in any election.

He might not be fully to blame for the shutdown in the council meetings but from what I'm aware he didn't go out of his way to diffuse the situation and find a solution.

Maybe it's length of service that has helped him topped the polls, he's well known in town, a recognisable face, and someone who is 'seen' to be fighting the peoples corner, but a watchdog? Surely it would have been better to get people together and defeat the budget, rather than arguing against it, alienating everyone and then sitting back and saying "well I voted against it".

I'm definitely no expert, and I'm not trying to beat down his reputation, but I really don't see the appeal, everyone in the council is responsible as a spokesperson for the people, I get the feeling we'd still in the same mess whether he was part of it or not.

The way some people I've heard go on about him it's like he's Sligo's white knight, not saying you're saying that, but he doesn't do much for me, and I was surprised he polled so well, I knew he'd be elected, but to top the poll comfortably surprised me, I was expecting all sitting councillors to suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

rizzodun wrote: »
    (Ballytivnan/Rathbraughan) in the years I've lived here, he certainly hasn't called to my door in any election.

I also live in that area, he called this election to that area.

I also live in that area, he called this election to that area.

Just pointing out he didn't call to me, the good lady works evenings so I was housebound in the run up to the election and no sign of him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement