Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pet Insurance?

• 18-05-2014 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I'm about to buy pet insurance for my dog, she's a year old. I've been weighing up the options and have more or less decided on 123.ie. Has anyone used them for pet insurance, what's your opinion of them? Have you found them easy to deal with when you had to make a claim?

I want to make the right choice so I'm happy to consider other affordable insurance companies too. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP,
    There have been a fair few threads on this topic before, here are a few of them to whet your appetite! :)
    If you do a forum search, you should find more, but I'm sure there'll be others along here to discuss the issue.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88924558

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76540149

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87567810

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pj121

Thank you DBB! :) I'll read through those threads now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just be aware, any conditions that your dog has already had will not be covered when you take up the policy as it is seen as a pre-existing condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

pj121 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm about to buy pet insurance for my dog, she's a year old. I've been weighing up the options and have more or less decided on 123.ie. Has anyone used them for pet insurance, what's your opinion of them? Have you found them easy to deal with when you had to make a claim?

I want to make the right choice so I'm happy to consider other affordable insurance companies too. Thanks in advance.

I am with Allianz and find them super easy to deal with and we have alot of claims! On more than one policy year we claimed our €4,000 limit and they paid out no questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pj121

So far she's fine, no pre-existing conditions, but I want to make the right choice now so I can stick with the same company over the years. I know chopping and changing companies in the future will mean she won't be covered for any pre-existing conditions by the new insurer.

123.ie sound great - their excess is lower than other companies and they only ask you to pay 15% of the cost of treatment when the dog is older compared to the 35% some of the other pet insurers ask you to pay. Plus they pay per condition.

Makes it affordable for me as I don't have a good income yet I want to make sure she gets great care if she is ever ill/injured. But are 123.ie too good to be true?! Just wondering if anyone has dealt with them and what their experience has been?

Thanks Millem.....it's good to know that Allianz are easy to deal with. I just read through some of the other threads and a lot of the posts state the same thing you said, the reviews on Allianz are good.... decisions, decisions! It's great to read of other's experiences, should make it a bit easier for me to decide!

• Advertisement

What's the excess and total they will pay out for the year? I haven't heard that many going with 123 so I'd def be comparing all the policies. All companies will let you claim per condition.
    Most go with Allianz or petinsure.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

pj121 wrote: »
    Makes it affordable for me as I don't have a good income yet I want to make sure she gets great care if she is ever ill/injured. But are 123.ie too good to be true?! Just wondering if anyone has dealt with them and what their experience has been?

Check if your vet does direct claim with Allianz - that means you'd only have to pay the excess and the vet claims the rest ;)

I just checked 123, they only cover up to 2500, whereas petinsure is 3500. Not sure what Allianz is, but these are all then things you need to consider and weigh up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I believe allianz cover up to 4000 a year
    Plus one for allianz, best decision I ever made was getting my guy insurance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

<snip>

If I decide to change insurers will they not cover preexisting conditions? I claimed once for x rays for her joints. I know my health insurance they cover preexisting conditions if there has been on break in cover, is it different for pet insurance?

anamaria please read this forum sticky thanks

• Advertisement

Pet insurance is different, it will not cover pre existing conditions. It's on the terms and conditions on their websites if you want look.

Advertisement