Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two different exams at the same time

• 18-05-2014 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

As in the title, I've a bit of a problem...
    I'm sitting the Economics exam on the 18th, as well as the DCG exam, after lunch. The problem is that I'm also doing a non-curricular language which... Is at the same time as Economics. :pac:
    I already spoke to the exam secretary, she said I'd have to either stay up in school or do it on a different day... That was a few weeks ago and I'm getting pretty nervous about it tbh. I tried talking to her a few days ago, unfortunately wasn't able to.

What would actually happen, because it's not my fault that they're clashing and I need both of them for points.

http://www.examinations.ie/exam/Leaving_Certificate_Examination,_Leaving_Certificate_Applied_Timetable_2014.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

They definitely allow you to do the two of them, I don't know anything else about it though.

You should really speak to your principal or someone like that if you can't speak to the exam secretary. (What's an exam secretary? :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

"Subject Clashes - The State Examinations Commission makes every effort to arrange the examination timetable in order to minimise the potential for subject clashes. Sometimes students enter for subjects that are timetabled for the same time and date. Arrangements can be made to allow time to sit both papers. Please contact Entries Section for further information. Telephone 090 6442704 / 6442702 / 6442706. E-mail: entries@examinations.ie"

Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭estilen

Thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Afaik you will have to stay in after DCG to do your extra-curricular language. You might also be put into lockdown between Economics and DCG to make sure you don't contact anyone who has already sat the paper.

Last year there was a guy who sat two extra-curricular languages. He did one in the morning and was locked into the principles office without his phone until the afternoon period.They were pretty nice about it apparently. Bought him in lunch and tea and everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It certainly won't be on a different day. You will be kept supervised with a short break following one exam and then you will sit the other.

This happens a fair bit, the SEC are well prepared for it. The same sort of procedures kick in if someone needs to go to a funeral of a close relative the morning of an exam, i.e. the candidate comes in and sits the exam starting much earlier than the others, but finishing at least 30 minutes after the main group start their exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

thelad95 wrote: »
    Afaik you will have to stay in after DCG to do your extra-curricular language. You might also be put into lockdown between Economics and DCG to make sure you don't contact anyone who has already sat the paper.

Last year there was a guy who sat two extra-curricular languages. He did one in the morning and was locked into the principles office without his phone until the afternoon period.They were pretty nice about it apparently. Bought him in lunch and tea and everything.

This.

You will be kept away from other students, mobile phone, internet etc so you can't find out what is on the other exam. You will have a tough day as you will have three exams, either the school opens early so you can sit your language exam before economics, or you stay on after DCG and do it. I see the non curricular language exams are 3 hours. So assuming a half hour break between DCG and language paper, you won't get out of school until 8:30 that night. It's that or start your paper at 6am.

It would be no harm if the exam secretary rang the number posted on this thread on your behalf to find out what option they will run with so you can prepare for the day.

Advertisement