Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prime Time Debate, Midlands - North - West. RTÉ 1 Sunday 10.40

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

efb wrote: »
    Imagining a Freaky Friday scenario where Ronan Mullen and Larry Mullen switch lives...

I'm sorry... But my idea of a remake of the movie Trading Places with Ryan Tubridy and Brian Ormond is still the best idea..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Vorenus400 wrote: »
    This selection is a bit of a joke. Its obvious that Ming has been placed here by RTE to discredit him. He has to argue with some of the idiots, which might mean he becomes associated with some of the crazy polocies. his stance on fluoride not withstanding.

I think Miriam is fairly flustered with allegations of RTE bias

Fianna Fail and the Greens are there too, two former government parties. Greens doing okay in some euro polls.

Watching the last few minutes of this debacle and honestly as bonkers as the more colourful candidates are, I'd sooner give my vote to them than anyone associated with FF, FG ,The Greens or Labour. At least the odd ones genuinely seem motivated and interested in something beyond a cushy pension.

Mullens seems to be trying a Bertie impression and I don't think I'd trust him as far as you'd throw him. The fact that he's employed some lad to dress all in yellow with a huge election poster on his head to jump around the traffic lights in Galway city. It makes him look like a bigger joke than anyone else around.

I'm not a fan of Ming but he seems to be treating tonight with the respect it deserves, not a whole lot. There's no point debating against the competition on stage as they aren't making any points. RTE have an obvious bias and sticking a candidate who is leading the polls in the second division is clear evidence of it.

It's got to the stage where the only reason that I'll vote next week is to either delivery spoil my vote or go through the candidates and try to keep the usual suspects out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Fair play to Mullen, making a good anti RTE bias point.

During the week RTE did a programme on Dublim West, sending Sharon Ní Bheôlãin out there. The four "main" candidates were interviewed, excluding all others, then they gave a potted picture of all the candidates in a few sentences, but grouped three independent candidates at the end and dismissed them in one sentence covering the three of them. They only get away with this because they are not challenged in the courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Matt Carty reminds me of someone... A GAA star I think.. Anybody know?
    Definitely Lee Keegan from Mayo!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm sorry... But my idea of a remake of the movie Trading Places with Ryan Tubridy and Brian Ormond is still the best idea..

Perhaps, but I just cannot picture Brian Ormond going around breaking people's legs. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Anybody who votes for FF, FG or Labour next Friday is only voting to maintain the stinking rotten corruptness of the EU.

Agree, but if the only alternative is the populist empty vessel rantings of Mr Adams & co ??? Thats what bothers me !
    One of these days I expect to see SF in power, either at national or local government level or both ! Come that day, their empty rhetoric will be found out , much the same as the current shower have been exposed ! Where to then ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I'm voting for Ming!

Reflecting on last night's debate, RTE should rethink the format for these ! While not a supporter of Ming Flanagan, he should have been in the first panel group given his position in the opinion polls, rather than cast in with the "also rans" on the last section of the programme . He is scoring consistently higher than either Lorraine Higgins Lab, or Jim Highins FG, yet not given the opportunity to debate with the heavy hitters/real contenders in the race. I guess he's just not well enough connected with the powers that be in our State broadcaster ! C'mon RTE - both FG candidates on the first panel ? One should have been relegated to the second tranche - wonder what tonight's show will throw up, will we have the same cosy little arrangement ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

efb wrote: »
    I'm voting for Ming!

Ming here as well.

• Advertisement

There was an obvious bias on display and it was nice to see the candidates acknowledge and chastise Miriam for it. Her attempts to paint RTE as an all inclusive broadcaster were pathetic and her defecne of Joe Duffy was cringe worthy, Liveline is a governmental tool and any opposing voices are quickly shut up or not allowed on at all. I know a group which tried to get on to talk about jobsbridge and Duffy wouldn't let them near the show, yet then he'll tell everyone he's the voice of the little person.

The great thing about last night is that as bad as some of the other candidates came across at least they were passionate, the blind candidate, think Mark was his name came out with a few unfortunate turns of phrase (the watchdog one in particular was great) but at least he appeared passionate. The first round of debates had a bunch of self serving, entitled dicks spouting lies and nonsense and trying to paint one another as idiots. Only the Sinn Fein candidate came out looking good. I'd love to see a huge change come Friday but honestly can't see it happening, most people will vote for the same old crooks because of some blind allegiance to a party and the young who could really make a difference are a small minority given that most of us are no longer in the country. There's one thing this and past governments have done and that's create a divide between the young and the old. The government have gone to great lengths to penalize the young who had no role in getting the country into the mess it's in while appeasing those responsible for much of the current turmoil and sadly most people can't see it for the scam it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I thought the debate last night was a farce too, and I'm glad it was said. I'd never ever vote for someone like Ronan Mullen, but fair play to him for saying what needed to be said about RTE last night. Certain factions of the media are absolutely shameless in their favoritism. Clear agendas on display not only by RTE, but publications like the Irish Independent too. Some very poor journalism doing the rounds at the moment. Certain people sh*tting themselves at the prospect that Indos/SF might do well in the elections and the apple cart might be upset a little. Doing everything in their power to sway the vote towards a safer option for them.

I think I'm going to give a vote to Ming too and Matt Carthy. They're the only candidates that interest me at all, really. The rest of them just look and sound like the same thing we've been listening to for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Prime Time Debate, Galway - Midlands - North - West. RTÉ 1 Sunday 10.40

What's the reference to Galway in the thread title about? Was the programme filmed there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Skid X wrote: »
    What's the reference to Galway in the thread title about? Was the programme filmed there?

Its the constituency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Its the constituency.

No its not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

No its not

Ah, ok. Damn assumptions :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Perhaps RTE's decision was more about ratings than actual political bias. They presumed having a debate with a lot of people wouldn't be entertaining for the public and the ratings will be down.

As the state broadcaster that receives the licence fee, they aren't supposed to be concerned with these sort of things.

I thought the debate last night was a farce too, and I'm glad it was said. I'd never ever vote for someone like Ronan Mullen, but fair play to him for saying what needed to be said about RTE last night. Certain factions of the media are absolutely shameless in their favoritism. Clear agendas on display not only by RTE, but publications like the Irish Independent too. Some very poor journalism doing the rounds at the moment.

Not a fan of SF at all but clearly biased anti SF stuff in the SINDO yesterday and seems like RTE by accident or design ( latter I expect) are determined to keep the Independent voices as much in the background as possible ! Wonder what tonight's debate will bring up ?
    Can't understand either the surging support for SF - Boylan, Ni Riada, Carty - has anyone heard of these before this Euro election gig ? Do any of them have any kind of national or regional credentials or profile up to now ?? I'm not a supporter of the main parties but feel the righteous anger of the electorate is somewhat misplaced in voting for the populist anti establishment rantings of Adams & co ! They've managed quite successfully and skilfully to wipe their past "baggage" under the carpet which has been laid down for them by the current dishonest, uncaring and self serving administration of FG/Labour and their austerity "love in" with Merkel, Trichet and co. I'm not sure though that a vote in anger against the current regime and in favour of an opportunistic SF populist agenda will give us the stimulus this country needs to make a real impact in Europe, if such is possible?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Skid X wrote: »

No, I just threw it in for good measure Skid. To set us apart from the midlanders and other far of strange places we have to share candidates with like Louth and Donegal. ;)

Lapin wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see how long Lorainne Higgins can go without interrupting Ming.

The whole night as it turned out.. !!!

• Advertisement

Ah you cant do that.. I'm Ronan Mullen would say that it is an infringement of his democratic rights to be the preamble for another thread covering the other two constituency debates...

Advertisement