Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to claim maternity consultant fees, VHI

Options
  • 18-05-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Myself and the girlfriend had our first child on 23/2/14 in the Rotunda, semi private.
    We paid the €1,200 clinic/consultant fee on 12/08/13 when we booked in. The rest was covered under my corporate VHI plan which my girlfriend is also on.
    The renewal date for the VHI policy is January.

Was just wondering if the claim can be filed any time before January 2015, or have I missed the boat?
    ie. Should I have made the claim before the end of 2013, before the child was born? Or should it be made after he was born?

I was told by everyone, hospital staff included that you can claim back AFTER the birth.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. Never had to file a claim :)

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For VHI you're supposed to claim within three months of the renewal date so in your case you should have claimed up to some time in April. I'd phone them and see if you can get an extension. Just note that they're pretty ruthless about scanning and shredding receipts and can be aggressive about denying certain claims so if they say that they will accept the claim, get the name of the person you were talking to and when submitting the claim, attach a cover letter outlining what you were told and who told you.

Be sure to keep a scanned copy of every receipt, because whether the claim is accepted or not, they shred everything and you won't get them back. Anything you can't claim (or can only partially claim) from the VHI you may be able to get tax relief on, hence the need to keep a scanned copy of all of the receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

If it's any help to anyone else, I was on to the VHI today.

Seems like it's 3 months from the renewal date AFTER the birth, so sent off my claim, fingers crossed it comes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

When you get your payment back from vhi. Get a med one form from the revenue website and fill this out. Enclose a copy of the refund got from vhi.
    From what I know the vhi or any other health insurance policy will not cover the cost in full of having a baby private or semi private.
    If you fill out the med one form you may get back further money which could help you know.
    Keep a copy off all receipts that you send to both vhi and revenue.

Hope this gives you some money back and congrats on the new arrival.

Advertisement