Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western digital drive problem

Options
  • 18-05-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

In my western digital external drive I've 1 folder which when I try to open gives me the "error - corrupt and unreadable" message.

All the other folders and files work no problem, but I can get this folder to open which has a few travel photos that I didn't have a chance to get backed up.

What are my option for getting access to this folder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Download a free program called Recuva and run a scan against this troublesome directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Backup other files from the drive. Just in case it's on its way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

royster999 wrote: »
    Download a free program called Recuva and run a scan against this troublesome directory.

Recuva didn't get anything from the folder.

My main concern is that if I backup the drive - format it and then put back the data, that files and folders could become corrupt for no reason in the future again on the drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

My main concern is that if I backup the drive - format it and then put back the data, that files and folders could become corrupt for no reason in the future again on the drive?
    That can happen with any drive, at any time. Always, always, always have at least one backup of any data you don't want to lose

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭zarafiq

Disks are cheap, if you value your data get a new disk. Still, there is a chance it was the filesystem that was corrupted while the disk was fine and format will fix that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Recuva didn't get anything from the folder.

Once the data is backed up you can run a diagnostic utility to verify if the drive is on the way out/has bad sectors. Western Digital provide this utility to do so (run the full/advanced scan as this will do a full sector scan).
    You should backup before doing this as a scan may stress the drive and make further corruption depending on the failure type (in fact backing up should be number one priority at this point, forget about anything else until the data is backed up)

Nick

Advertisement