Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biker.ie. Whats the Crack????

• 18-05-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what is the crack on Biker.ie?

I put up a post today asking a question about how to get privileges and yet again end up in bushwald like a scolded child.

Is it that the place is just a closed community and only the in crowd get privileges? Or am I missing something?

Regards,

Mike....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

They just have a different sense of humour there. I really quite enjoy it. As I've been told a couple of times myself, you're not really in prison, you can still go for a spin:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mention anything to do with cars, vans, trucks etc ~ they love that.

I tried the site out and didn't like their clique'y closed-shop attitude.

No option to close your account either so I just stopped posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Ya, forget it. It's a boys' club. Go about your happy life and don't let the regular abuse of a potentially great motorcycle community resource bother you. The ownership is very clear about the site being very much about the ethos of the ownership and not about any kind of duty to the community of users. If you want to get along on that site just kiss arse and finish every post with 'fcuk off ya bollix yis'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I do know a few people who were banned for telling the owner or mod they were wrong about certain stuff (they were). Post deleted too!
    Handy site for certain info (I got some good info about importing bikes), but you'll notice regular posters lick the arse of the owner/mods, they seem to like it that way because it seems to be the only way you can post there without getting banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭The_Outlaw

roadsmart wrote: »
    They just have a different sense of humour there. I really quite enjoy it. As I've been told a couple of times myself, you're not really in prison, you can still go for a spin:D

Yeah I know they have a weird sense of humor and most of the time I enjoy it too.... But somethings I just dont get.... And when I ask about them I end up in Bushwald... where I cant do anything for about a week....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

And dont mention anyone at all bar one person to fix a bike.......or you will never see the light of day again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yes, it's a little different. Like all Web forums, the form of government du jour is a sort of (largely!) benevolent dictatorship. There are a few running gags over there, and a core of long-term regulars and it is largely this that contributes to the "cliquey" image - it isn't really. You won't find a better source of information, experience and technical know-how this side of Hamamatsu.

New members often find it a little bit like the Marine Corps - the abuse is mainly a test of character, and the best way of going about it is to soak it up and give a little back. It's all in fun.

Buswald Penitentiary is the equivalent of the Prison Forum here. However, like all crackpot dictatorships corruption is rife, and depending on the warden on-duty inmates may attempt to purchase freedom in exchange for immaculately-prepared choppers, old BMW Café racers and/or exquisite ladies bazoingas. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've lurked there under a borrowed account even when I wasn't a member and found I was being bad mouthed by members here when I was a mod years ago. I had pics pulled from my photobucket account and plastered on their site with my face showing.

Id love to meet some of these keyboard warriors in real life for a chat. I don't forgive and forget easily ladies !!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I used to be very active on Biker.ie - I had thousands of posts. Yes its a lot to get used to and there is a lot of messing, but most of the normal lads are sound. There is a huge clique / boys club at the top though. I began posting before I had bought a bike and then when I had got one and did not know how to ride it properly I organised a few spins for beginners. At the time there were some regular spins but they were very quick and if you could not keep up - tough sh1t.

Myself and a couple of others organized "The Rookie Run" - for beginners/intermediates - with a slower pace and just more friendly outing. Pretty much every single sunday over an entire summer, we'd meet and go for a spin. It began to grow pretty fast, stared at 4, then 6, then 10 and 12 bikes. Not long later there were regularly 30 or more. It was brilliant. The older crew did not like it so much though and a lot of bickering started. Eventually I stopped going on the rideouts and rarely posted. Went back one day to see I had been banned - with a message of "Stick to Boards" lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭paddydone1

A bunch of sissies over there.

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    You won't find a better source of information, experience and technical know-how this side of Hamamatsu.
    Tbh, it can be useful for local knowledge (where in dublin can i get an oil filter for my ktm, need it today etc), but for technical knowledge it's better to go to a bike specific forum. I had problems with my BMW not a hope I'd go to biker, i'd go to ukgser. Same with the Ducati, I'd go to one of the 3 big ducati forums. If I had any a triumph, ktm or anything else, I'd do likewise, find an owners forum, that's where you'll get the best technical info imho.
    I've used biker for years, have about 3000 posts, but all over about 20 usernames, so I know the story there. Haven't used it regularly in about 5 years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Forget it - bunch of morons tbh - or whoever runs it is, at any rate.

Think of all the electrons you'll save by NOT going there !! :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

It seems biker has annoyed more of the biker community than it helps! They made a balls of what could have been a good site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Ah, it only seems to annoy those who are a bit uptight in the first place. Take it with a pinch of salt and a sense of humour and you'll be grand. :cool:

roadsmart wrote: »
    Ah, it only seems to annoy those who are a bit uptight in the first place. Take it with a pinch of salt and a sense of humour and you'll be grand. :cool:
    I've zero problem with taking the píss out of each other, or even "cage talk" bans and all that shíte. I've a problem with people who can't accept it back. Or people getting banned for giving out different info than the mods/owner when they're wrong themselves. Or people getting banned or posts deleted for offering help that the mods want to do themselves, and will charge for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

The_Outlaw wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what is the crack on Biker.ie?

Regards,

Mike....

It is much the same as most internet forums.
    Most of the things that people complain about happening on there happen on here.
    Most of the abuse or complaints leveled at them can be leveled at a lot of internet forums.
    This forum has a clique of posters, it has a stupid sense of humour, etc.

But, it is only the internet, it is not real life.
    So don't worry too much about it.

P.C. wrote: »
    It is much the same as most internet forums.
    Most of the things that people complain about happening on there happen on here.
    Most of the abuse or complaints leveled at them can be leveled at a lot of internet forums.
    This forum has a clique of posters, it has a stupid sense of humour, etc.

But, it is only the internet, it is not real life.
    So don't worry too much about it.
    I disagree. Problem with biker is the mods. The mods here are sound. <snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I'm over there as well and have to say it has been beyond useful to me since I joined it.

If the stats at the bottom of the forums are correct there are currently 19 members online right now in this forum (10 members, 9 guests) but there is 988 over at biker (241 members, 747 guests). Bike forum here has 6,682 threads with 86,603 posts. The Introductions forum over on biker has more posts alone - 5,106 threads, 126,463 posts. What i'm getting at is it has a big reach. There are some very knowledgeable guys over there who are willing to help when questions are asked. If it was a general biking question and not a bike specific question it would probably be my first stop.

There is also a very busy and active For Sale section which I find useful, it's free to use too.

It has it's downsides sure, a lot of which have already been mentioned here but if you look at it as a service rather than community - and a free one at that, the upsides outweigh the downsides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Vikings wrote: »
    I'm over there as well and have to say it has been beyond useful to me since I joined it.

If the stats at the bottom of the forums are correct there are currently 19 members online right now in this forum (10 members, 9 guests) but there is 988 over at biker (241 members, 747 guests). Bike forum here has 6,682 threads with 86,603 posts. The Introductions forum over on biker has more posts alone - 5,106 threads, 126,463 posts. What i'm getting at is it has a big reach. There are some very knowledgeable guys over there who are willing to help when questions are asked. If it was a general biking question and not a bike specific question it would probably be my first stop.

There is also a very busy and active For Sale section which I find useful, it's free to use too.

It has it's downsides sure, a lot of which have already been mentioned here but if you look at it as a service rather than community - and a free one at that, the upsides outweigh the downsides.

Hmmm, statistics, eh ? I wonder if you filter out the 'arrah howya bollix' as well as the just plain personally abusive threads there's s.f.a. left.

Could be that 1 thread here is worth a 1000 over there - hows that for statistics ? :pac: :P

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I like numbers what can I say :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

there will be a new thread slating us over here no doubt, that'll add to their stats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭prunudo

serious3 wrote: »
    there will be a new thread slating us over here no doubt, that'll add to their stats!

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=210169

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I think I'm going to keep my mouth shut for a change...

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

If you have a problem with the forum then you'd be better off contacting the mods there than putting a thread up on a different forum.

I've been on it since pretty much the start and never had a problem, that said I've landed in bussies occasionally for little or nothing but that's the craic, it's a bunch of bikers not afraid to take the p*ss (unlike some rather too pc sites).
    General rule of thumb is if you can't take t then just go somewhere else.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

There is no little clique of posters on here, just regular posters. Its the same people doing most of the posting, that does not make them a clique. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Don't take it serious and you'll be grand. There is some sound lads there.......and also here.
    If your here or there...... we are all bikers.
    I've seen lads put up a post looking for help with something and within a few minutes replys offering any help that can be given.....its great to see it.
    I get a good laugh at the photoshops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

"persons who interact with each other more regularly and intensely than others in the same setting."

Ref: Salkind, Neil (2008-01-01). "Cliques". Encyclopedia of educational psychology. Sage Publications.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lets not do this again please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement