Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy wants belly rubs ALL the time!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

What breed is your dog?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ellavin wrote: »
    What breed is your dog?

He is not a Lab but a collie!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Thats two very hyper excited breed compo collie dogs are the smartest breed you might not think but the pup is simply submitting to every one (good to know the dog will never be aggressive) the eating poo part can simply be when with brothers and sisters followed them or the pups craved solids

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Dogs eating their own poop is not normal. What are you feeding the dog?

Some obedience classes should also sort out the belly rub requests!

Im am not saying that dog eating their own poop is a good thing but its definitely a regular thing! My dog would try eat every piece of poo on her walk if I let her! And I can tell you, she is not the only dog who does it! It doesn't make a difference what food you are feeding her!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

DBB wrote: »
    As for the pup rolling over for tummy rubs, it's entirely natural puppy behaviour, and perhaps suggestive that your pup is going to be an unpushy, friendly, friend-making dog!
    Puppies do it in order to send out a clear signal which says "I'm just a big gobsh!te, there's no need to be mean to me", and they can learn to continue doing it as long as their experiences with it are positive. But remember that when adult dogs do it, whilst they might enjoy it at first, some start to feel a little vulnerable after a minute or two and can growl to get you to back off... Especially if the dog doesn't know or trust the person completely.
    Whilst he may grow out of it, I would be inclined to go down the route that Whispered suggested, and teach pup an alternative behaviour in order to greet people (sit is perfect), whilst ignoring pup for rolling over. Of course, you will also need to ask strangers not to reinforce the rolling over either.
    Poo eating (coprophagia) is absolutely normal, but not very nice. Chances are your pup does it purely as another thing to investigate (pups investigate the world through their mouths), but may possibly do it because he saw his mum do it. Try to intervene before pup reaches the poop, but do not punish if you catch him in the act... It'll make him learn to devour it quicker. He should also grow out of it as he gets older if you keep distracting him at this early stage. But be aware that a huge amount of dogs do it to some degree.. if not their own, then cat poo (which seems irresistible to many dogs), cow and horse poo, rabbit poo are all fair game!

I know what you mean about the dogs devouring it quicker! My dog searches for fresh poo on a walk for her to munch on! Im pretty good at watching her and her tell-tale signs that she has found something but the moment I make eye contact....she sprints over, grabs the poo and swallows it so quickly that I don't have a chance! The only thing I can do is put her on her lead for a few mins with very little slack to try teach her that shouldn't be doing it! No way am I putting my hands in that mouth to get the poo out! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement