Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chapters book shop

Options
  • 19-05-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi
    it was an while till I went to chapters, I went to chapter last week and this friday. I somethings look the comic
    novel, I was looking the comic till an member of the shop called me over. using his phone some how took an picture of me looking at comic, he told me not to go back to the shop again. I didn't, ask him for his name and
    card. I didn't do anything wrong, just looking at comic novels. its all wrong. maybe I should not go back to the shop. he took an photo on his phone,how rude.
    john

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

well think of it this way

I go into a bakery, take a bit out of each cake to see which one I want to buy or to just have a taste of each one, I would be basicly be stealing their business

its a book shop, your not suppose to stand their reading a whole book, he probably though you were doing that, which basicly you shouldn't be as his business is selling books, how can he sell them if your reading them in the shop

but I agree he should not of taken a picture of you, I would go back to complain and try sort it out
    if you don't want to do that, then just stear clear of the shop, plenty of other bookshops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

so you were reading the comics with probably no intention to buy, taking up space in a small store, blocking the section for other customers and you think that's ok?

If you were browsing different comics and only spending a few minutes, that would be fine, but for a staff member to notice you, go to the trouble of taking an image and then calling you over would suggest you were taking the piss and having a free read of the comic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

skelligs wrote: »
    so you were reading the comics with probably no intention to buy, taking up space in a small store, blocking the section for other customers and you think that's ok?

If you were browsing different comics and only spending a few minutes, that would be fine, but for a staff member to notice you, go to the trouble of taking an image and then calling you over would suggest you were taking the piss and having a free read of the comic

Have you been to chapters? It's not a "small store"

http://dverbrugge00colour.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/4473557-chapters_bookstore_on_parnell_street_dublin.jpg

and for the love of god reading books is what people do in book stores. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

I agree you shouldn't be reading their material constantly but same time they have chairs for this purpose to encourage business. I'd go back, ask for an apology and for the image to be deleted. I do find that some of the staff can be rude at times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

bumper234 wrote: »
    Have you been to chapters? It's not a "small store" and for the love of god reading books is what people do in book stores. :rolleyes:

We have heard one very poorly told side of the story. I'd love to hear the other side.

• Advertisement

We have heard one very poorly told side of the story. I'd love to hear the other side.

Fully agree,

If op was there 5 or 10 minutes then the staff member was out of order, If op was there 30/40 minutes then he is taking the piss although as stated already they do have chairs for people to sit in and read.

I used to love Borders when it was in Blanch, Used to take a book up to the Starbucks there and read the first chapter or two of a book and then decide if i was buying it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

bumper234 wrote: »
    Have you been to chapters? It's not a "small store"

http://dverbrugge00colour.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/4473557-chapters_bookstore_on_parnell_street_dublin.jpg

and for the love of god reading books is what people do in book stores. :rolleyes:

It used to be a small store in abbey street :D - Long time since I've been in Dublin!

Then that would even further suggest that the Op was taking the piss to be noticed in such a large store.

If everyone had free reads, then chapters would go the same way as borders!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 john kealy

hi
    I was not there for months, I was looking for an 2000ad novel to buy. I was reading the
    titles of the novels on the stands etc. I was not reading the books, I was looking at
    titles. I was looking for 5 to 10 minutes. the member of staff called by using his hand.
    I don't know if the pictures he had on his phone was either last week or an few minute
    ago in the shop.I was going their years notting happened etc.the staff I heard are an
    rude at time, they staff can't banned you for reading books etc. your just sampling
    the content to buy the book etc.
    PS I was told not to come back, the staff should not have the power ban some one
    they do not like.
    john

john kealy wrote: »
    hi
    I was not there for months, I was looking for an 2000ad novel to buy. I was reading the
    titles of the novels on the stands etc. I was not reading the books, I was looking at
    titles. I was looking for 5 to 10 minutes. the member of staff called by using his hand.
    I don't know if the pictures he had on his phone was either last week or an few minute
    ago in the shop.I was going their years notting happened etc.the staff I heard are an
    rude at time, they staff can't banned you for reading books etc. your just sampling
    PS I was told not to come back, the staff should not have the power ban some one
    they do not like.
    john

If that's what you are looking for then head to forbidden planet on the quays.

hi
    I will in future, I don't want trouble coming to my door.
    I won't be going back to chapters again. the staff member still has my photo,
    you can't see my face only my back slide.
    god bless
    john

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

I personally am all for the OP reading more books. However the library might be a better place, there's one right across the street in the Ilac Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

skelligs wrote: »

What a judgemental misinformed post. He was in a book shop browsing books .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

john kealy wrote: »
    hi
    they do not like.
    john

You say you hadn't been there for months, but then say the picture could either be from that day, or last week?

Do you regularly go in, read the books and not buy anything? If it's a regular thing, I can understand the staff telling you to give it over tbh.

Hi
    I was not reading the books, I was looking at the titles on the books.
    I was looking for one book that I did not see there. I was looking for an few
    minutes etc
    john

Hi
    I am not an regularly to chapters. I use to go in odd occasions etc.
    I went be going back to chapters either, me against the staff.
    john

Have to say that some of the staff in there are less than pleasant to deal with and have a real superiority complex. It's what put me off going in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Let's not start that discussion again - or I will close this thread.

What exactly is the Consumer Issue here?

dudara

hi
    they told me not to go back to the shop, and they took an photo of me.
    just for looking for an book etc.
    john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed - I don't see a Consumer Issue here. I do see a legal question around taking pictures of people.

I suggest that you ask this question, without naming names in the Legal Issues forum.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement