Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worms on the Food-waste Bin

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If you're a gardener, maybe pick up a worm farm and use that to convert your food scraps into top notch compost and plant food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,410 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You need to stop the flies that lay the eggs on the food from getting at the food, simple as.

Wrapping the food as advised previously and keep the flies out of the bin.

They may look nice and cuddly but if they develop into flies the you will have a bigger problem: they will get into the house and your neighbours houses

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I get the same problem on occasions. Our food waste (brown) bin is collected by Greyhound every two weeks so no opportunity to get rid of it any earlier. There might be only 4-6 small green compostable bagfulls in it. I don't willingly put raw meat in but when I trim meat before cooking then of course that waste goes in the waste bin and so its a breeding ground for the flies. It only happens when the weather is very warm and so far I have no problems. The only thing I do to combat it is (1) use the eco-friendly compostable bags, and (b) I wash all my bins out regularly and (c) if I see any flies around the bin or in it I give them a quick spray of fly killer. I'd rather have dead flies in the bin than live maggots. Maybe I shouldn't do this but that's how I keep the maggot population down to a minimum. I would never, absolutely never, throw food waste into a bin without bagging it with compostable bags.

Advertisement