Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 4 Episode 7 "Mockingbird": *HAVE NOT* read the books

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    True, if you think you can pick them off one by one.
    If you want to bring down the house of Lannister though I would've thought it'd be easier to just not form a new alliance with them and not send them money if you know they're desperate.

But why not lead them on and then enjoy knocking them back? Why not let them think there's a hope and then rip that hope from them?

Not sending them money would be too easy and what would stop the Lannisters from just looking for the money elsewhere? They're already looking towards links with the Tyrrells for example.

There's a million different reasons Oberyn could be using the tactics he is. He's quite a complex character as it is. It seems to me that he is someone with huge intelligence but he also has a madness about him where he could do anything next. As I said previously, he and Dinklage have been superb in this series and part of the reason it has been my favourite so far.

To put it in Game of Thrones-style wording, even with the Red Wedding, this series has pissed all over series 3 IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

gandalf wrote: »
    I reckon that Oberyn believes that if he beats and kills the Mountain he will weaken Tywin in two ways. Directly as the Mountain is his main muscle, the guy that does the dirty jobs but also from a physiological perspective. He is also getting direct revenge on the man who did kill his sister and her kids.
    He'd weaken him a lot more with a knife in the guts at that brothel. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Excuse me for having an opinion. I didn't see "MUST BE A GOT SUPER FANBOI TO COMMENT" at the top of the thread.

You don't have to be. You just have to think about and attempt to understand things on the most basic level before your poorly conceived criticism. Most of your suggestions would be completely unworkable for trivially obvious reasons, and that's what people are reacting to in your posts, not your rejection of some sort of fanboy orthodoxy. Other people criticize the show and don't get the kinds of reactions that you do, because they actually think before they post and may raise fair points, or at least not completely foolish ones.

Oberyn is there as an official representative of his house, which controls a major territory of Westeros and is officially at peace with the throne despite their tense personal history. He has responsibilities. He can't fly off the handle like a maniac, even if that's what he might like to do.

If he gets a chance to make things worse for the Lannisters with some valid pretense or plausible deniability, he'd love to do that. But he can't just start openly murdering them. That would start a war. A war that his lord doesn't want started and which they probably aren't prepared for or able to win.

The man has children, siblings, and extended family that he cares about. He has a whole life and the lives of many others to take into account. If he goes on some hopeless rampage for the sake of personal satisfaction, it could mean the end of not just his own life but those of most of the people he cares about.

The Lannisters let him in the door because despite their history they have made peace long ago, and there isn't open warfare between them. They know he's not that stupid. Apparently you are, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    snip

Oh don't get me wrong, I have no problem with book readers posting here at all, I welcome you all, if anything it adds to the thread, as you said ye are on the look out for people who are posting spoilers.

I only mean book readers who knowingly are posting spoilers under the guise of a guess! I just don't get what they get from it?!

But yeah, nice book readers post away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I guess the mountain will kill Oberyn.

Have not read the books.

For some perverse,totally irrational reason I think Oberyn will defeat the Mountain.
    Have not read the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Love Oberyn! He can't die he's too hot for that!:D I have a feeling he won't lose but that in the next episode it'll be so close that the audience will think he is done for and then he will kill the mountain with one blow. GoT is all about suspense!! Good episode, especially Arya and the hound! Loved the scene between Dany and Daario! Something for the ladies to watch and to enjoy!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 D Weasel

Would say yer man destroyed Daenerys! Pummelled to bits and licked in half!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

D Weasel wrote: »
    Would say yer man destroyed Daenerys! Pummelled to bits and licked in half!!!

I'm surprised there's anything else after Kahl in the first few episodes of season 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Is it possible to lose the coming battle (any of these trial by combats in fact) and live? Can you yield at any point and the opponent must give mercy? Or can the opponent just take your head off regardless of you yielding?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 D Weasel

EyeSight wrote: »
    I'm surprised there's anything else after Kahl in the first few episodes of season 1

Yeah she got taught a good lesson there !

kryogen wrote: »
    Is it possible to lose the coming battle (any of these trial by combats in fact) and live? Can you yield at any point and the opponent must give mercy? Or can the opponent just take your head off regardless of you yielding?

I can't see either combatant giving mercy. The Mountain is a psychopath who has previously cut the head off a horse.

Oberyn has waited years for revenge against the man who raped and killed his sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Can't wait for the Mountain to kick Oberyn's ass :)

Hope we see some Dornish intestines all over the ground.

#Justice4Joff

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mullally68

I'm just hoping it'll be longer and better the Tyrion's last trial by combat :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

kryogen wrote: »
    It was mentioned in last weeks thread that you can. Won't be seeing it between The Mountain and Oberyn though I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Can't wait for the Mountain to kick Oberyn's ass :)

Hope we see some Dornish intestines all over the ground.

#Justice4Joff

cc864e44f758d0e0106bb8b8161c998f.gif

Oberyn is the man. I'm confident the good guy will win, just this once!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mullally68

J. Marston wrote: »

I admire your wishful thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Has watching this program taught you nothing? Anyone else notice the lack of dragons in this series, they must be saving their cgi budget for something

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

duploelabs wrote: »
    Has watching this program taught you nothing? Anyone else notice the lack of dragons in this series, they must be saving their cgi budget for something

Yea...episode nine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

duploelabs wrote: »

A trial by combat directed by Michael Bay?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I just think it's poor building regulations that allows a high rise building to have an opening in the floor 100's of feet above the ground.
    Think of small children & the elderly, that death trap was always going to claim someone.

Also, why do they call it the Moon Door if it faces the ground, really makes you think.

• Advertisement

I just think it's poor building regulations

That's the celtic direwolf for you. People really lost the run of themselves after the rebellion.

cc864e44f758d0e0106bb8b8161c998f.gif

As well as the fact that The Mountain can't act, it's been mentioned a fair bit lately that Oberyn spent time in Bravos and it was sort of hinted, in my opinion anyway, that he may have done some training with the Unsullied. The Unsullied who are meant to be total badasses when it comes to combat.

I've seen from the trailer that he's going to fight with a spear like they do so I think The Mountain could be in for a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Lemlin wrote: »
    As well as the fact that The Mountain can't act, it's been mentioned a fair bit lately that Oberyn spent time in Bravos and it was sort of hinted, in my opinion anyway, that he may have done some training with the Unsullied. The Unsullied who are meant to be total badasses when it comes to combat.

I've seen from the trailer that he's going to fight with a spear like they do so I think The Mountain could be in for a shock.

I really hope you're right! Oberyn for me has been one of the most interesting and entertaining characters this season. I find myself looking forward to the scenes he's in as things always get so much more interesting.

The scene with him sitting on the small council is just brilliant :D

IrishAlice wrote: »
    I really hope you're right! Oberyn for me has been one of the most interesting and entertaining characters this season. I find myself looking forward to the scenes he's in as things always get so much more interesting.

The scene with him sitting on the small council is just brilliant :D

The only actor in the show that is his match is Dinklage. He steals any scene he's in from anyone else, even from Charles Dance who is a superb actor.

He's one of the most interesting and entertaining characters I've seen in any show.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭sibersha

Hope that little tittie sucker is next to go through the moon door!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

The only actor in the show that is his match is Dinklage. He steals any scene he's in from anyone else, even from Charles Dance who is a superb actor.

He's one of the most interesting and entertaining characters I've seen in any show.

Peter Dinklage is brilliant, Tyrion is such a great character. The scenes with him and Oberyn have been so good to watch.

I did a little dance when Oberyn said he would be his champion. What a moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Don't wanna be an ass but please put things from the trailer in Spoiler Tags- not all of us watch them as don't want things ruined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭thefa

It looks like a really good match up with contrasting fighting styles. Oberyn's style could be like watching Grey Worm fighting in Yunkai.
    sibersha wrote: »
    That would be no harm but I think even Baelish would have a tough time explaining both the death of both Lysa and Robin in quick succession shortly after his arrival!

thefa wrote: »
    That would be no harm but I think even Baelish would have a tough time explaining both the death of both Lysa and Robin in quick succession shortly after his arrival!

Who does he have to explain to? He's the lord over there now and they were associated with the Starks which are mostly dead.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Who does he have to explain to? He's the lord over there now and they were associated with the Starks which are mostly dead.

The vale is ruled by house Arryn not the Starks he has a whole bunch of different lords there to deal with who would have been bannermen, remember all the folks gathered around in season 1 for the trial by combat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

The knights of the Vale

wprathead wrote: »
    Don't wanna be an ass but please put things from the trailer in Spoiler Tags- not all of us watch them as don't want things ruined

My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

I imagine Oberyn will prevail
    As others have said The Mountain is just a weapon for the Lannisters who we have only seen in about 3 scenes in 4 seasons. So he wouldnt be hugely missed.

Oberyn is the prince of Dorn, one of the seven kingdoms.
    His brother is also ill, which in case he died Oberyn would be in line to be ruler of Dorn.

He is also an in-law to Daenerys even mentioning he has seen the Unsullied fight.
    He might even be plotting with her as they share the same goal for avenging the Targaeryeans demise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Great episode. Was hoping the fight would occur in the last quarter or so but now Im hoping they do it justice with a well choreographed, tension filled, gladiatorial scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

royster999 wrote: »
    I imagine Oberyn will prevail
    As others have said The Mountain is just a weapon for the Lannisters who we have only seen in about 3 scenes in 4 seasons. So he wouldnt be hugely missed.

Oberyn is the prince of Dorn, one of the seven kingdoms.
    His brother is also ill, which in case he died Oberyn would be in line to be ruler of Dorn.

I think the title of ruler of Dorne would go to Prince Doran's children if he has any.

If the Mountain gets a chance, he will kill Oberyn so it's all about Oberyn avoiding that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

sibersha wrote: »

AHIQZAF.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

People act like GoT is a show where anyone can die but the fact is it still is a piece of fiction and each death has to serve as dramatic fuel. Deaths may be senseless in a storyline but they have to be carefully chosen and used by a writer. It would be shocking and not in a good way if both Oberyn and Tyrion die and leave a big void in the dramatic tension in King's Landing.

Looks like they're also setting up Brienne and the Hound for a confrontation. Hopefully it doesn't lead to a needless death of one or the other.

And Littlefinger is back to being awesome. He's a twisted bastard but in the best possible way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Syferus wrote: »
    Looks like they're also setting up Brienne and the Hound for a confrontation. Hopefully it doesn't lead to a needless death of one or the other.

Might lead to babies:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Degag wrote: »
    Might lead to babies:eek:
    BIG babies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

So is there no episode this week because of memorial day weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Yup. Apparently there will be parades on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

This wait is going to bloody kill me :(

Spoiler tags, please. The weekend hasn't happened yet!
    DM addict wrote: »
    Yup. Apparently there will be parades on Monday.

I think the bigger concern is that 3 day weekends are always big days for travel. Lots of people schedule weekend trips, or longer trips that they can extend by a day. So they won't be at home watching television Sunday night. They'll often see significant dips in ratings on those weeks.

Theoretically this should be much less of a concern for HBO than other broadcasters, since they repeat their episodes throughout the week, it's not hard to manage to record at least one showing, and without advertisers they don't care when you watch it, as long as customers are satisfied. Not sure why they're making an exception now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Anachrony wrote: »
    Spoiler tags, please. The weekend hasn't happened yet!

I think the bigger concern is that 3 day weekends are always big days for travel. Lots of people schedule weekend trips, or longer trips that they can extend by a day. So they won't be at home watching television Sunday night. They'll often see significant dips in ratings on those weeks.

Theoretically this should be much less of a concern for HBO than other broadcasters, since they repeat their episodes throughout the week, it's not hard to manage to record at least one showing, and without advertisers they don't care when you watch it, as long as customers are satisfied. Not sure why they're making an exception now.

HBO aired episode 9 of season 2 (Backwater) during veterans day weekend and it got dire ratings. I suppose the management at HBO need big audiences to renew the show..

GerB40 wrote: »
    I suppose the management at HBO need big audiences to renew the show..

They've already renewed it for seasons 5 and 6, so I don't think that's their most immediate concern. Consistent ratings are better than not, though.

• Advertisement

Higher ratings = more money = more dragons :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Love Oberyn! He can't die he's too hot for that!:D I have a feeling he won't lose but that in the next episode it'll be so close that the audience will think he is done for and then he will kill the mountain with one blow. GoT is all about suspense!! Good episode, especially Arya and the hound! Loved the scene between Dany and Daario! Something for the ladies to watch and to enjoy!;)

Arya and the Hound are a great pairing, I love their scenes. And Arya is fairly racking up the notches on her sword! She is quite the contrast to her woosy, weepy sister Sansa (who once again seems to be at the mercy of a fella with ill intent). Speaking of Starks, what about Blackfish, we haven't heard a whisper about him since he escaped the Red Wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

chasmcb wrote: »
    Arya and the Hound are a great pairing, I love their scenes. And Arya is fairly racking up the notches on her sword! She is quite the contrast to her woosy, weepy sister Sansa (who once again seems to be at the mercy of a fella with ill intent). Speaking of Starks, what about Blackfish, we haven't heard a whisper about him since he escaped the Red Wedding.

The Blackfish is a Tully. On the run now I presume, since the Freys are in control of the Riverlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    The Blackfish is a Tully. On the run now I presume, since the Freys are in control of the Riverlands.
    I knew he was a Tully, just meant he was a Stark ally. Him having escaped Red Wedding you would think that means he is going to re-surface in the story at some point -plus the fella whose wedding triggered the whole massacre, is he still rotting in a dungeon, some honeymoon, especially after being paired with the one pretty daughter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The Lords of the Vale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement