Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fresh start, path to getting ripped.

• 19-05-2014 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

25 Y/O male:

I regularly go to the gym, however I have found that I often do myself the injustice of overcompensating for any expenditure by overeating on junk afterwards. As we all know, you can't out-train a bad diet... things probably aren't helped by my cardio habit. I used to run at 13.5kmh for just over 30/31 minutes, 5 days per week; at that stage I was constantly overeating to compensate, and I had the gut to prove it. I recently reduced my running speed to a more manageable 9kmh for the same duration. That helped quell my urge to cheat/binge on sugary foods and crap, however I still fall a few times a week. I do weight training 5 days per week. Nothing immense, but everything gets a workout.

So I go to the gym lots. I run lots. But I don't have the body to prove it. Diet needs addressing, so I'm going to switch things up and sort myself a new plan: A sustainable routine that's, more importantly, sustained by a balanced diet. I intend on dropping my running speed (treadmill) to 5MPH (8KPH), while keeping it up 5 days a week, coupled with a flexible split of weights, training each muscle group at least once over the course of the week. Nothing over strenuous, that results in exhaustion/temptation to overeat. Just a consistent training regime that will allow me to focus on diet.

At the moment I have a very lazy diet and I don't cook or prepare meals. I resort to protein bars (Relatively healthy, to be fair - low sugar/low net carb ones) far too frequently. I buy cheap ready made salads/prepared meals. I very rarely eat wheat or bread - I do keep track of calories, but I don't track carbs/protein. I tend to opt for higher protein/lower sugar options... that fit into my lazy habits.

Honestly, I'll probably still be lazy with my diet, but there's no reason I can't be healthy and lazy. Some ready made salads/meals are quite good, simple and nutrient rich - just need to read the labels - so they're fine for the odd lunch. My main focus will be tracking calories, while making generally healthy choices. I'm going to aim for an average of 1500 calories per day for now, with a refeed day once a week, if I feel I need it (I'm small so I don't have a particularly high BMR). I won't be tracking anything beyond calories, but I will be opting for high protein/low sugar options. I feel that I'll be able to maintain this diet plan quite easily, coupled with my less intense cardio sessions; more importantly, and to the point, I should be able to kick my overeating habits and shred the fat.

I'm going to give it a month like this and weigh in with my progress. I'm not focusing on numbers/scales. Right now, I'm chubby, so as soon as I start seeing the definition I want I know I'm on track.

I'll update again as I continue. If it's of any interest - more as a motivator to myself, I admit - I can post a pic when I see start seeing results.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You seem quite focussed and willing to change your habits so you should be able to continue at a faster pace when you do cardio without the need to overeat after.

Rather than train all muscle groups over the course of different workouts, do a program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength. Compound lifts will do more for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

You seem to have a clear goal but I wonder why you don't consider cooking and preparing your meals. You'll reach your goal much faster I think if you do. You seem determined but you already train so that isn't a huge challenge. You could challenge yourself to stop being lazy about your food prep?

Just a suggestion! Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fat to ripped

You seem quite focussed and willing to change your habits so you should be able to continue at a faster pace when you do cardio without the need to overeat after.

Rather than train all muscle groups over the course of different workouts, do a program like Stronglifts or Starting Strength. Compound lifts will do more for you.

Thanks for the advice on those, I'll certainly check them out. My problem with the cardio is that I regularly find myself quite exhausted/tired because of it... and something happens, and all that focus seems to dissipate!

Very good suggestion Typer Monkey, and it's something I'm going to try get used to doing. I've loaded up on some simple ingredients for a start. It's still lazy stuff, I'll be honest, but it's a start. Bags of veg / tins of salmon/tuna, shove them together with something thrown on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks for the advice on those, I'll certainly check them out. My problem with the cardio is that I regularly find myself quite exhausted/tired because of it... and something happens, and all that focus seems to dissipate!

It won't if you don't let it. It sounds like you've given yourself a free pass for days you've really pushed yourself. There will be days when you'll fel it after a workout and you can't just fall back into that trap.

Very good suggestion Typer Monkey, and it's something I'm going to try get used to doing. I've loaded up on some simple ingredients for a start. It's still lazy stuff, I'll be honest, but it's a start. Bags of veg / tins of salmon/tuna, shove them together with something thrown on top.

It takes very little time to prepare plenty of stuff in advance and the half hour of preparation saves you that much several times over during the week.

Hi Guys, as promised (to myself, not that anyone will be interested!), I'm posting up pictures of my progress. I've not tracked fat %, so I'm not sure what I'm at. Perhaps someone could help me estimate? How do you tend to do that?

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to let me post images as I'm a new user. I'll try get 50 posts and come back to this.

• Advertisement

Hi Guys, as promised (to myself, not that anyone will be interested!), I'm posting up pictures of my progress. I've not tracked fat %, so I'm not sure what I'm at. Perhaps someone could help me estimate? How do you tend to do that?

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to let me post images as I'm a new user. I'll try get 50 posts and come back to this.

2bv6n6.jpg
    http://i58.tinypic.com/2bv6n6.jpg

20be32aa23436fa86d9cb6bbe5156d78.jpg
    http://static.dyp.im/qrljvYcR8r/20be32aa23436fa86d9cb6bbe5156d78.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Low bf% there man must be around 10 if not lower.

What did you look like 5 weeks ago?

Probably not much more ripped to go unless you build up more muscle.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Low bf% there man must be around 10 if not lower.

What did you look like 5 weeks ago?

Probably not much more ripped to go unless you build up more muscle.

I wouldn't say I was fat, but I had no definition. Maybe doughy, if that can describe it. I'm not sure how much I lost, but yeah, I figure I probably also had more muscle about a year ago and previously. It's a trade off, I guess.

Advertisement