Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***MatchThread*** 20th May 19:00 BENIL BallAlley Angels

Options
  • 19-05-2014 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Big game this one, need as many out as possible lads, this is a large pitch and Ballalley usually have subs

Cathal
    Ciaran
    Cillian
    Conor - work
    Damo
    Darren
    Derek
    Derek McL
    Ed
    Jules
    Keith
    Kings
    SteK
    SteMcd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

In

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

In

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DeviantD

I will be there, Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Keaner

Me and Mc Donald are in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Cathal - in
    Ciaran - in
    Cillian - in
    Conor - work
    Damo - in
    Darren - in
    Derek - in
    Derek McL - in
    Ed - in
    Jules - in
    Keith - in
    Kings - in
    SteK - in
    SteMcd - in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

In kings is as well last time I checked

Some of the lads wont have played on this pitch its an excellent surface probably the best iv played on its very wide so the wingers will need to be full of running get your crosses in early, the midfield will need to stay compact defensively as large gaps will develop as the match develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

In, my u-9 team have that pitch from 6-7 so ill be up there about 5.50.

last week was very messy there for the brownbag v ewetuppers game, the ref was out on the pitch at 7, with about 60 kids (our u-9s, 10s and 11s also train on it at the same time) finishing up. our older groups were then coming at 7 but astro never told them the pitches were gone to the 11 a side so it got even messier and that game kicked off about 15 mins late in the end, though that shouldnt happen tomorrow night.

either way, Astro really should allow 5-10 mins for the young lads to get off and the teams to warm up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DeviantD

Hi Des, not going to make it tonight as wife is only back from the hospital and is not good. I sent you a text earlier. Not sure if you got it.
    Derek.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

3-2 loss

We were under a lot of pressure in the first 20 mins and they had chances, i dont think we adjusted to the size of the pitch but we improved in the last 10.

After going 2-1 up, they got a goal back and then went 3-2 up.

We've 4 more games on that pitch, i think we tired with only 11 players and ballalley were rolling players on and off.

Onwards to next week and 3 points.

• Advertisement

Gutted isn't even the word too many let themselves and the team down we can't afford any more performances like that or this hill will quickly turn into a mountain for us to climb

regardless of what happened for their first goal, i think overall they deserved it, they were the better team and created 6 or 7 really good chances though perhaps we could have nicked a draw. as derek said, too many of us didnt perform to the levels we are capable of.

one thing that is a concern, we have conceded 7 goals in the second half of the last 3 games, games we started with very bare squads - weve not had one sub to call on the bring into midfield or attack and its killing us now.

we are also giving up more chances per game now than we were giving up in 2 or 3 games last season.

in saying that, they are a decent team and even we were carrying 2, if not 3 injuries for most of the game they only beat us by 1 goal, with a very dubious goal deciding the game for them.

im probably going to be out injured for a week or two at least, my groin went after taking a kick out in the first 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

mrDerek wrote: »
    Gutted isn't even the word too many let themselves and the team down we can't afford any more performances like that or this hill will quickly turn into a mountain for us to climb

Pretty much the opposite of how to encourage people.

I think overall they won the game rather than us losing it. We didn't play brilliantly but we didn't play awful either.
    It was telling how when we were chasing the game at 2-1 down and 3-2 down that we played our best stuff. During my time with the team, we've always been about attacking play. When we were attacking as we chased the game we were at our best. When we stood off them in the first half we were at our worst. Probably worth bearing in mind for the future.

I thought the pitch would help our passing game but in the end we were too isolated.

Just have to mention Darren's interception to stop a certain goal in the 2nd half. Don't think any of us had time to call that out when it happened. But that was a great covering run.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Just have to mention Darren's interception to stop a certain goal in the 2nd half. Don't think any of us had time to call that out when it happened. But that was a great covering run.

it was absolutely savage from Darren, but then of course the luck that was in it, they scored from the resulting corner :(

Mousewar wrote: »
    Pretty much the opposite of how to encourage people.

Sometimes lads need tellin how it is no point sugar coating a bad performance ya won't kick on and up the level

Sometimes lads need tellin how it is no point sugar coating a bad performance ya won't kick on and up the level

Tis a team game.. someone could easily say you should have scored more..

Tis a team game.. someone could easily say you should have scored more..

Lol you for real I had two shots one which was pretty well saved another which I missed, assisted keaner iv 9 goals so far for this team which is pretty ok if you think you can do better by all means.....

Lol you for real I had two shots one which was pretty well saved another which I missed, assisted keaner iv 9 goals so far for this team which is pretty ok if you think you can do better by all means.....

You're missing my point, you arent out there by yourself, you'd have no goals if there wasnt 10 other lads on the pitch.

When lads are chasing down the other team putting their bodies in the way of shots and busting a gut to run up and support you, you think that they aren't contributing and didnt perform well because we got beaten?
    If we had nicked this game 3-2 you'd be on here saying we all put in a great shift etc. You need to get some perspective.

Cillian and Ed both played through injuries for most of the game, Ste made 2 or 3 blocks where he literally threw himself in front of a guy shooting, Murtagh went full blooded into a couple of challenges to make sure he won the ball and was cleaned out by both opposition players, the fancy goal stuff doesnt happen with the un-fancy stuff in our own half.

Look its very easy to say we should have played better when like you say you've banged in 9 goals, but you need to realise those 10 goals dont happen with your team mates & frankly i dont think we had a particularly bad game individually, we as a team struggled with the size of the pitch and with fitness in our first competitive game on a pitch that is a lot bigger in width and length than the pitches we've been playing on.

And to be blunt Derek, after every loss or draw you come on here on say "lads need to do better" and its a broken record at this point, there are many games we could have won if you had scored more, like wise there are games we could have won if we defended better.

Guys have to agree with Derek, myself included we were bad, or at least bad at times. That fact is we deserved to lose is not supposed to be encouraging, its the truth and its the kick up the arse we need to kick on! Kieth scored another great free kick (keep them coming) which made that result look alot closer then it actually was. now we had a few on pitch injuries and we all agree the ref was terrible! but we deserved to lose today! lets go out get 3 points next week and lets bloody deserve it!

Dereks tryna keep the heads on and keep going at a good intensity! no different to jules giving advice on the pitch! have to argue hes doing the scoring without help from us too at times! we know how good we can be as a team and if you think we are there right now theres something wrong! nothing wrong with tryna push us to do better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I won't reply to the dribble that's been posted so far as I'll get banned or booted off the team, but it's nice to see that when we lose our first game of the season some attitudes shine through.

We lost the game in the 1st half, they played a midfield of 3 and myself and jules were running around like headless chickens chasing shadows and when you're doing that for 25 minutes on a pitch that size you expend a lot of energy. Energy we didn't have when we conceded 3 goals in the 2nd half.

Midfield is where we lost the game. We should have gone to a flat 5, injuries didn't help. Playing without a striker for the 2nd half, no disrespect cillian as I understand you were injured.

Not a great night all in all but one thing is clearly evident we need a squad, squad wins leagues and it's only going to get worse from now on with people missing for summer holidays.

We battled but we're out played by a team who passed the ball well.

I'll say one thing Derek you have 9 goals in 5 games a great return but don't ****ing forget the team mates who hand you a good portion of them on a plate.

Not one single person came on here mentioning the 4 guilt edged opportunities you missed in the game against ewetwepers when we should have come in at half time 6-0 up, a game we eventually drew, people in glass houses etc.

Oh on a side note, ref was a wander but again as last week we best ourselves the more we got in his face and argued the more he gave against us, I was to blame for some of thing and ill hold my hand up and try and do better.

You're missing my point, you arent out there by yourself, you'd have no goals if there wasnt 10 other lads on the pitch.

When lads are chasing down the other team putting their bodies in the way of shots and busting a gut to run up and support you, you think that they aren't contributing and didnt perform well because we got beaten?
    If we had nicked this game 3-2 you'd be on here saying we all put in a great shift etc. You need to get some perspective.

Cillian and Ed both played through injuries for most of the game, Ste made 2 or 3 blocks where he literally threw himself in front of a guy shooting, Murtagh went full blooded into a couple of challenges to make sure he won the ball and was cleaned out by both opposition players, the fancy goal stuff doesnt happen with the un-fancy stuff in our own half.

Look its very easy to say we should have played better when like you say you've banged in 9 goals, but you need to realise those 10 goals dont happen with your team mates & frankly i dont think we had a particularly bad game individually, we as a team struggled with the size of the pitch and with fitness in our first competitive game on a pitch that is a lot bigger in width and length than the pitches we've been playing on.

there wasnt a lot of gut busting to get up and support me tonight.
    dont know what match you were watching if you think that wasnt a bad game individually
    either way what i said wasnt overly harsh at all and i didnt point fingers at anybody yet you jump all over it like i singled you out
    And to be blunt Derek, after every loss or draw you come on here on say "lads need to do better" and its a broken record at this point, there are many games we could have won if you had scored more, like wise there are games we could have won if we defended better.
    crying-waterfalls.gif

I'll say one thing Derek you have 9 goals in 5 games a great return but don't ****ing forget the team mates who hand you a good portion of them on a plate.

Not one single person came on here mentioning the 4 guilt edged opportunities you missed in the game against ewetwepers when we should have come in at half time 6-0 up, a game we eventually drew, people in glass houses etc.

i know youv done well with the assists
    but dno where your gettin these 4 imaginary chances i missed 1 which was a 1 on 1 with the keeper which i messed my ankle up in the process
    besides i got 2 that night and i got flattened twice which should have been penos not like im not doing my part

I scored, of course I couldn't possibly have had a bad game #dereklogic

The fact you resort to gifs shows you don't have a clue tbh

there wasnt a lot of gut busting to get up and support me tonight.
    dont know what match you were watching if you think that wasnt a bad game individually
    either way what i said wasnt overly harsh at all and i didnt point fingers at anybody yet you jump all over it like i singled you out

crying-waterfalls.gif

There wasn't a team to support you, but that said if you held up the ball instead of it bouncing off you like a ping pong half the night or doing ballerina twirls only to get shoved off the ball people might have got there in time.

You did 3 things of worth in the game.
    You set up keaner when there defended didn't run for the ball and you were 2v1 it's not like you worked for this if Des was in your position a goal would have still been the outcome.

You took a ball down turned and had a shot which was well saved. Good play

You played cillian on for a chance, sadly he was injured and couldn't make it. Good play

You missed a sitter... and the rest of the night you were as bad as every single person on the team.

Again....glass houses

What the hell is that?? he said we need to play better as a team and it wasn't good enough tonight! so because no1 got on saying what happened in that one match hes not allowed say we need to do better?? yeah your right there is some bull being posted

where did i say i had a great game....

i know youv done well with the assists
    but dno where your gettin these 4 imaginary chances i missed 1 which was a 1 on 1 with the keeper which i messed my ankle up in the process
    besides i got 2 that night and i got flattened twice which should have been penos not like im not doing my part

I'm happy to jog your memory.
    A cross I put into you. 6 yards out unmarked free header, shouldered it.
    One on One with the keeper scuffed it.
    A free kick I zipped in, missed the ball completely.
    4th one is eluding me but I'm sure it will come.

The 2 your scored were again tap ins from me that you really couldn't miss, a cut back from 6 yards and one on one with the keeper with not a defender around for 30 yards.

I have a memory like an elephant, you should try sudoko it will help you with your short term.

Keaner wrote: »
    What the hell is that?? he said we need to play better as a team and it wasn't good enough tonight! so because no1 got on saying what happened in that one match hes not allowed say we need to do better?? yeah your right there is some bull being posted

Look through the match threads, you'll see a pattern perhaps it's just got to some of us by now.

Most people when they come on and state that a lot of individuals let themselves down and clearly doesn't add themselves to the list would think that person was on about people other than themselves, but hey I could be wrong.....

• Advertisement

Ste I think what Darren is trying to say is we are meant to be a team, If Derek has a bad game no one comes on and makes veiled statements about holding it up/doing better up front because as a team we should be trying to support him better, but likewise if we lose there's always a similar statement saying some lads have to do better etc. the chance Derek put wide, would probably have got us a point or perhaps more tonight, no one has a go at him because it's a team game it's a missed chance but this happens in football

Advertisement