If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamaha RXV-475 & NS-P40

Options
  • 19-05-2014 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I have a few questions that you guys may be able to answer for me.

I have just purchased a new TV for my home cinema set up (Samsung UE55HU6900) and now want to purchase an amp and speakers.

I have been looking at the Yamaha RXV-375 and RXV-475, with the NS-P40 speakers but have a few questions about my potential set up. I know the 375 has no network connectivity and isn't as advanced as the 475 in audio processing etc.

1. My TV will support DLNA, but my concern is regarding audio pass-through and whether the optical out from the TV will pass DTS etc.

2. When using DLNA on my UPC Horizon box, if I feed a source that is 1920x800 (1080p with the black bars cropped), it stretches the picture instead of adding the black bars to the top and bottom of the picture. This means the picture looks distorted. I can re-encode the video back to add the black bars, but it's a pain. If using DLNA on the RXV-475 using a souirce that is 1920x800 will the Yamaha stretch the source material to 1920x1080 or add black bars?

In short my question is whether there would be any real gain in using the DLNA on the amp as opposed to the TV? If there is no real gain if the TV already has DLNA, then what are the clear advantages of the 475 over the 375.

Also what would be the cost inclusing delivery of the RXV-475 + NS-P40 or the RXV-375 + NS-P40?

Cheers.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

techdiver wrote: »
    Hey,

I have a few questions that you guys may be able to answer for me.

I have just purchased a new TV for my home cinema set up (Samsung UE55HU6900) and now want to purchase an amp and speakers.

I have been looking at the Yamaha RXV-375 and RXV-475, with the NS-P40 speakers but have a few questions about my potential set up. I know the 375 has no network connectivity and isn't as advanced as the 475 in audio processing etc.

1. My TV will support DLNA, but my concern is regarding audio pass-through and whether the optical out from the TV will pass DTS etc.

2. When using DLNA on my UPC Horizon box, if I feed a source that is 1920x800 (1080p with the black bars cropped), it stretches the picture instead of adding the black bars to the top and bottom of the picture. This means the picture looks distorted. I can re-encode the video back to add the black bars, but it's a pain. If using DLNA on the RXV-475 using a souirce that is 1920x800 will the Yamaha stretch the source material to 1920x1080 or add black bars?

In short my question is whether there would be any real gain in using the DLNA on the amp as opposed to the TV? If there is no real gain if the TV already has DLNA, then what are the clear advantages of the 475 over the 375.

Also what would be the cost inclusing delivery of the RXV-475 + NS-P40 or the RXV-375 + NS-P40?

Cheers.
    Techdiver,

there are several versions of the 55HU6900 but I'm pretty sure than none of them will pass through DTS via their optical output - in General Samsung will down convert any digital input sources to stereo - in general Samsung ( I think..) won't output any true 5.1 signal via optical but down convert to stereo( but I stand to be corrected on this)

On the overscan issue - I'm honestly not sure as I haven't played with a Horizon box but I would guess that the 475 will retain the original as it does not upscale.

To be honest if it was me I'd probably stick to the RXV375 or go the whole hog and grab the superb RXV675!

On the 375/NSP40 - £269.00 
    RXV475 / NSP40 - £319.90 ( stock very limited!)

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭techdiver

Techdiver,

there are several versions of the 55HU6900 but I'm pretty sure than none of them will pass through DTS via their optical output - in General Samsung will down convert any digital input sources to stereo - in general Samsung ( I think..) won't output any true 5.1 signal via optical but down convert to stereo( but I stand to be corrected on this)

On the overscan issue - I'm honestly not sure as I haven't played with a Horizon box but I would guess that the 475 will retain the original as it does not upscale.

To be honest if it was me I'd probably stick to the RXV375 or go the whole hog and grab the superb RXV675!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

I never really considered the 675. What does it offer over the 475?

Techdiver,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

I never really considered the 675. What does it offer over the 475?
    Completely different beast!

The 675 is more powerful with a far superior build quality and its also more powerful with 90Watts per channel - it also upscales to 4K and the 675 has 6 HDMI inputs and it also has second zone capabilities - really a different beast altogether - have a look at the review here (tested at £500):
    http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-rx-v675

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hey,

Instead of posting a new thread I'll just ask on this one.

I've cancelled my HU6900 and might be in the market for a TV now too.

Do you guys have any of the following tv's:

Samsung 65HU8500
    Samsung 55HU8500
    Samsung 65HU7500
    Samsung 55HU7500

if so what would the cost + delivery be?

Cheers.

Hey,

Instead of posting a new thread I'll just ask on this one.

I've cancelled my HU6900 and might be in the market for a TV now too.

Do you guys have any of the following tv's:

Samsung 65HU8500
    Samsung 55HU8500
    Samsung 65HU7500
    Samsung 55HU7500

if so what would the cost + delivery be?

Cheers.
    TD,

this is whats available:

55HU7500 - in stock in main warehouse for shipping - £2299.95 / €2699.99
    55HU8500 - no stock at the moment but normally - £2699.95 / €2999.99

65HU7500 - in stock in main warehouse for shipping - £3599.95 / €4199.99
    65HU8500 - in stock in main warehouse for shipping - £3999.95 / €4799.99

75HU7500 - no stock at the moment but normally - £5999.95 / €7299.99
    78HU500 - no stock at the moment but normally - £6499.95 / €7799.99

Delivery is included in all the pricing above - keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.