Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France today

• 19-05-2014 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Je suis fecking off to France for 3 weeks today, on the Oscar Wilde.

Just wanted let anybody who is working, know this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I hope Zascar bans you. That's evil. I'd love to head south and ferry across into Morocco on a trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Safe trip dude... +1 for ban!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

+2 for ban....if I knew where you lives I would empty a carton of tumb tacs outside you garage!!!!

I will remember this when I am heading to Germany in August.......Grrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Safe traveling!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Instant perma Ban.

Although I shall have to ban myself next month as Je Suis also en France although only for une week.
    (not on bike though, i wish)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

rat_race wrote: »
    Je suis fecking off to France for 3 weeks today, on the Oscar Wilde.

Just wanted let anybody who is working, know this.
    I've been on holidays for 5 weeks and I'll still be on holidays when you get back to work. Asia is grand this time of year. Just thought I'd let ya know!

Safe travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I've been on holidays for 5 weeks and I'll still be on holidays when you get back to work. Asia is grand this time of year. Just thought I'd let ya know!

Safe travels.

Haha, actually, I'm still on holidays -- except in Ireland!

The three weeks was fun. Did almost 4.5k km, which is a lot given that we didn't pay one single toll. Went into Spain and Andorra too. Did the Pyrenees and some of the Alps (Gorge du Verdon).

Overall, it was much harder than I expected, with being too hot/cold, or with the moving to a new place every day (unpacking, thinking of security), finding new accommodation/campsites/fuel each day, and drinking at least one bottle of wine a day.

Had some terrible weather, and some lovely hot weather.

I nearly found it as difficult as cycling through France (which I did two years ago)!

All in all, a great experience. Only regret is bringing too much crap I didn't use. Other regret is bringing hiking boots instead of my moto boots...as it rained quite a bit at the start, and I got wet/cold.

I really tested the Tiger 800, it never failed me though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Did you use much oil?

Did you use much oil?

No difference that I can see...though it is a new-ish bike with low mileage. I did hear these bikes burn oil, but I haven't noticed it at all yet. Why do you ask?

Oiled the chain with ATF fluid...works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Cause I've put in about a litre for every thousand miles in my TDM, which I think is a lot, but it doesn't appear to be burning oil. I know some bigger bikes use a fair bit, so for your 4,500 km trip my tdm would have used about 3 litres.

• Advertisement

Well my mechanic put too much in, a bit higher than sight glass (I know this can be bad but it's not too much)...so it may have burned some but I can't really tell. Still plenty left. She's making some new sounds though, which is a bit of a worry. But anyway....

My friend put about a litre into his 05 GS throughout the trip.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

rat_race wrote: »
    Haha, actually, I'm still on holidays -- except in Ireland! The three weeks was fun. Did almost 4.5k km, which is a lot given that we didn't pay one single toll. Went into Spain and Andorra too. Did the Pyrenees and some of the Alps (Gorge du Verdon).

Overall, it was much harder than I expected, with being too hot/cold, or with the moving to a new place every day (unpacking, thinking of security), finding new accommodation/campsites/fuel each day, and drinking at least one bottle of wine a day. Had some terrible weather, and some lovely hot weather.

I nearly found it as difficult as cycling through France (which I did two years ago)! All in all, a great experience. Only regret is bringing too much crap I didn't use. Other regret is bringing hiking boots instead of my moto boots...as it rained quite a bit at the start, and I got wet/cold. I really tested the Tiger 800, it never failed me though...

Fair play for not paying any tolls. What route did you take? Any favourite places? I had the same with the weather, got soaked to the skin a few times. I'd bring a rainproof suit next time. Did u camp or stay in hostels mostly?

Any pics?

Yeah, pics or it didnt happen.....:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ive a street triple, and was warned about oil consumption too, and its never lost a drop in the 6 years Ive owned it

Wossack wrote: »
    Ive a street triple, and was warned about oil consumption too, and its never lost a drop in the 6 years Ive owned it

I have the Sprint 1050st (same engine as the triple) oil is perfect.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I have the Sprint 1050st (same engine as the triple) oil is perfect.

Actually, just checked the oil -- deffo some gone. I did do 4.5k KM though, with a LOT of luggage/weight and a lot of hills, so I guess it's allowed.

Zascar wrote: »
    Fair play for not paying any tolls. What route did you take? Any favourite places? I had the same with the weather, got soaked to the skin a few times. I'd bring a rainproof suit next time. Did u camp or stay in hostels mostly?

Any pics?

I'll have to upload pics and send ya a link...nothing online.

We camped and hostel'd it mostly, one or two B and B's / cheap hotels.

My favourite place? I dunno...I have been to Bordeaux before and really like it. We were always on the go and busy doing something -- very little relaxing. I liked almost everywhere we went except Clermont-Ferrand (****ty place/people). Gorge du Verdon was impressive, really gorgeous. The Pyrenees were too, when the weather was nice.

Montpelier is a cool city, as is Aix-en-Provence.

Unfortunately, I stupidly did not save the routes on my sat-nav :(

But basically, down the west coast of France, into Spain, over the Pyrenees, touching on the Alps, then straight up through the middle back to the ferry.

From memory:
    1. Cherbourg -> Alencon (friend had family there)
    2. Alencon -> La Rochelle (stopped for an hour or so in Laval, more family)
    3. La Rochelle -> Arachon (camping)
    4. Arachon -> Bordeaux (hostel for two nights)
    5. Bordeaux -> Saint-Girons plage (camping for 2 nights)
    6. Saint-Girons place -> San Sebastian
    7. San Sebastian -> Jaca (stopping for lunch/wine in Roncesvalles)
    8. Jaca -> El Pont de Suert (stopping for food in Ainsa, recommended!)
    9. El Point de Suert -> Andora
    10. Andorra -> Beziers (well, camping on the coast near the sea)
    11. Beziers -> Montpellier
    12. Montpellier -> Aix-en-Provence
    13. Aix-en-Provence -> Castellane (Gorge du Verdon) -> Aix-en-Provence
    14. Aix-en-Provence -> Clermont-Ferrand
    15. Clermont-Ferrand -> Laval
    16. Laval -> Some place in the middle of nowhere
    17. Middle of nowhere -> Cherbourg

Advertisement