Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who You Gonna Vote: Ballymote/Tubbercurry

Options
  • 19-05-2014 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

Who You Gonna Vote # 1: Ballymote/Tubbercurry

Who You Gonna Vote #1? 31 votes

Margaret Gormley Non Party
    0% 0 votes
    Blair Feeney Fine Gael
    25% 8 votes
    Pat McGrath Fine Gael
    0% 0 votes
    Michael Fleming Fine Gael
    0% 0 votes
    Gerard Mullaney Fine Gael
    3% 1 vote
    Dara Mulvey Fine Gael
    6% 2 votes
    Eamon Scanlon Fianna Fáil
    22% 7 votes
    Jerry Lundy Fianna Fáil
    3% 1 vote
    Martin Baker Fianna Fáil
    0% 0 votes
    Paul Taylor Fianna Fáil
    9% 3 votes
    Joe Queenan Fianna Fáil
    3% 1 vote
    Mary Tuffy Non Party
    0% 0 votes
    Edward Stephen McCarrick Sinn Féin
    3% 1 vote
    Michael Clarke Non Party
    22% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sligotourism14

I will be voting Dara Mulvey who has always been a great voice for the people of South Sligo.
    Dara is a neighbour of mine and for years he has committed himself to helping in community activities in the area whether it be fundraising, helping out with underage football teams, community parks or events such as Coolaney summer festival. He has continued to sacrifice himself for many years, long before his decision to join the council.
    I see him as an enthusiastic and vibrant candidate who always puts his best foot forward and I think he will fight for the people who he will represent in his electoral area. It is candidates like him who I will be voting for this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

Daragh Mulvey will also get my vote! As a cycling fanatic, I am a big supporter of the Sligo-Mayo greenway campaign and I know that he has shown immense support for this cause over the past few years.
    I heard him speak a couple of weeks ago about how passionate he is to see that the greenway opens up to the public.
    I predict a huge interest in this line to be used by many people from both near and far.
    We are entering a new era where people want to become fit and healthy and this line will bring with it all kinds of interesting opportunities. 'A defunct railway line does not employ anybody'.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

No independent candidate standing in my area so am forced to vote for one from elsewhere. The two sitting councilors in my area are worse than useless and I couldn't in a million years vote for either of their parties, I can't even say "they fixed da road" about them.

Very poor selection of candidates in this electoral area, I suppose this reflects the electorate, very disappointing. Much wider choice in the sligo area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

"Very poor selection of candidates in this electoral area, I suppose this reflects the electorate, very disappointing. Much wider choice in the sligo area".

I was thinking that too when I posted up the list. Speaking to a good few folk, Independents Marie Casserly and Seamus O'Boyle seem to have very good support and on that, I'd fancy both to win a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

I'll vote for Martin Baker, I'd be very happy with how hard he has worked for everyone in his area and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

m r c wrote: »
    I'll vote for Martin Baker, I'd be very happy with how hard he has worked for everyone in his area and beyond.

Beyond? I've seen absolutely no evidence of his 'work' in my area, which he had the nerve to 'canvass' i.e. be chauffeured around in a Mercedes so he could stick a leaflet in the front door frame with 'Sorry I missed you' scrawled on it even though he could see that we were inside. Coward. :rolleyes:

I won't be voting for Gerard Mullaney either as I've seen no evidence of his 'work' in my area either and his third place on the expenses list is a disgrace.

I'd like to echo the VERY poor choice of candidates in this electoral area. It is very disheartening. :(

genie wrote: »
    Beyond? I've seen absolutely no evidence of his 'work' in my area, which he had the nerve to 'canvass' i.e. be chauffeured around in a Mercedes so he could stick a leaflet in the front door frame with 'Sorry I missed you' scrawled on it even though he could see that we were inside. Coward. :rolleyes:

I won't be voting for Gerard Mullaney either as I've seen no evidence of his 'work' in my area either and his third place on the expenses list is a disgrace. My vote will be going to an independent from outside my area. :)

I'd like to echo the VERY poor choice of candidates in this electoral area. It is very disheartening. :(

Martin Baker hasn't done any canvassing in a Mercedes Benz, you must be confusing him with someone else.

Why would someone show "nerve" by canvassing for a vote?
    That's ridiculous, I mean if you don't want to vote for any particular candidate don't vote but surely any candidate that's running in your area has the right to politely ask you for your vote????

genie wrote: »

I won't be voting for Gerard Mullaney either as I've seen no evidence of his 'work' in my area either and his third place on the expenses list is a disgrace. My vote will be going to an independent from outside my area. :)

Haha funny that you mention the 'Sorry I missed you' scribble on the bottom of his litter cards. Has he been doing this for all households??? He did the same thing to my house too!!
    I heard the doorbell ring and before I got to open the door, the car was gone down the road...He has done nothing for us in our area either so I presume this must be why he is afraid that we might question him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Martin Baker hasn't done any canvassing in a Mercedes Benz, you must be confusing him with someone else.

Why would someone show "nerve" by canvassing for a vote?
    That's ridiculous, I mean if you don't want to vote for any particular candidate don't vote but surely any candidate that's running in your area has the right to politely ask you for your vote????

Yes, it was a Mercedes and, no, I am not confusing Baker with someone else because apart from him and Mullaney, no one else has stuck leaflets in the door in this area. All the rest have come in the post.

Baker didn't politely ask me anything because he didn't have the guts to knock at the front door, even though he could see and hear that we were inside. We heard a car outside, got up, looked out and it was driving away. When we opened the front door, his leaflet fell out from where he had stuck it between the door and the frame. Canvassing is, as you say, politely asking you for your vote. Sticking a leaflet in the door frame and driving away, is not. If Martin Baker has politely asked you for your vote, then you must be one of the lucky few.

I have just found out that Margaret Gormley who I was going to vote for is a pro-life candidate so I cannot vote for her either. The other independent Mary Tuffy is a FGer in disguise so she's out too. Michael Clarke is a former FFer and an ex con so he is out too.

So I don't have anyone to vote for at all in this area and I'm thoroughly pissed off. No wonder the same pathetic individuals get in time after time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Which of the Ballymote/Tubbercurry candidates are anti-fracking?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Martin Baker is anti fracking

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

The fact that pretty much all the candidates are FF/FG and even one or two of the independents have been associated with those parties, considering they have no serious policy differences as parties, says a lot about the electorate of this electoral area. I am very glad I live in the other constituency, where there's a bit of bloody choice and policy difference between groups.

I have just found out that Margaret Gormley who I was going to vote for is a pro-life candidate so I cannot vote for her either. The other independent Mary Tuffy is a FGer in disguise so she's out too. Michael Clarke is a former FFer and an ex con so he is out too.

So I don't have anyone to vote for at all in this area and I'm thoroughly pissed off. No wonder the same pathetic individuals get in time after time.

Sinn Fein? At least there's one different person going.

Tupamaros wrote: »
    Sinn Fein? At least there's one different person going.

I would vote for SF but not for him, it sounds like the party doesn't want him either. I know innocent until proven guilty but not worth the risk.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/high-court-lifts-suspension-of-sinn-fein-election-candidate-258135.html

I would vote for SF but not for him, it sounds like the party doesn't want him either. I know innocent until proven guilty but not worth the risk.

I don't think this guy stands the slightest chance at all. Even listening to the electoral debate on Ocean FM he sounds out of place. Taking the newspaper article above into account I don't think he should be even eligible to run for council! He may get a few votes from SF followers but nowhere near enough to get in. Strangely has 22% of the votes in the poll above although this is a narrow representation of how he will perform on the day.

Here is the 8 candidates I think will get in:

Margaret Gormley (POLL TOPPER)
    Dara Mulvey
    Joe Queenan
    Michael Clarke
    Eamon Scanlon
    Gerard Mullaney
    Michael Fleming
    Martin Baker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Here is the 8 candidates I think will get in:

Margaret Gormley (POLL TOPPER)
    Dara Mulvey
    Joe Queenan
    Michael Clarke
    Eamon Scanlon
    Gerard Mullaney
    Michael Fleming
    Martin Baker

Would you consider that this candidate got much work done for the supporters within the last 4 years?

job seeker wrote: »
    Would you consider that this candidate got much work done for the supporters within the last 4 years?

According to his glossy 4-page leaflet in the weekender he is jesus of Nazareth incarnate. Apparently is responsible for 700 jobs! :D:rolleyes:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/high-court-lifts-suspension-of-sinn-fein-election-candidate-258135.html

Jeez Louise. Very glad I don't live in this area.

Tupamaros wrote: »
    According to his glossy 4-page leaflet in the weekender he is jesus of Nazareth incarnate. Apparently is responsible for 700 jobs! :D:rolleyes:

So is that a no?

• Advertisement

2688 1st preference for Margaret Gormley is unbelievably good. She worked for every one of them from what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

2688 1st preference for Margaret Gormley is unbelievably good. She worked for every one of them from what I've heard.

You don't get that sort of vote for just talking about things. Well done to her.

So 3 Councillors pretty much guaranteed a seat. Who do ye think will get the other 5 seats?

Advertisement