Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't open box to read meter

Options
  • 19-05-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I got a high estimated bill and dispite all of my efforts I cannot open the box outside to read the meter.

Is it possible to request a reading from Electric Ireland or do we have to try open it ourselves.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Sadderday,

The meter itself would need to be read, for an accurate reading. ESB Networks reads meters for scheduled bills only.

Could the landlord/letting agency/management company grant you access to the meter?

If it is just the white cabinet door you need to open, a generic meter-key is all that would be needed, and we can send one to you if you private message us your name/address.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Hi Una,

Thanks a million, thats what we would need.

Would there be a charge for the key? The estate agent that we deal with are in a different county!

Thank you

Hi again Sadderday,

No problem. The meter-key is free. :)

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

Sadderday wrote: »
    Hi,
    I got a high estimated bill and dispite all of my efforts I cannot open the box outside to read the meter.

Is it possible to request a reading from Electric Ireland or do we have to try open it ourselves.
    Thanks!
    You will need a triangle shaped key (available in most hardware shops) or a long nosed pliers to turn the lock. If the door is stuck you might need a screwdriver to jimmy it open. You can send in the reading by phone or on the ESB website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sadderday wrote: »
    Hi Una,

Thanks a million, thats what we would need.

Would there be a charge for the key? The estate agent that we deal with are in a different county!

Thank you
    The ESB/Electric Ireland and most other electricity and gas suppliers will send you a key free of charge so that you can access and read your own meter. They are also available in most hardware shops for a small charge of a couple of euro

• Advertisement

Thanks lynchieboy and foggy_lad.

And we can take meter readings by private message here on Boards also, for issuing an accurate bill - we are here Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Get the key in any hardware store. They only read the meters about three times a year so that is why you have an estimated bill. If you can access the meter then text the readings in to them to get a correct bill

Hi again folks,

ESB Networks reads all meters (for customers of any supplier) and they endeavour to read the meter for four bills out of six per year (access to the meter permitting) per customer, so, as Santa Cruz says, the remaining bills are estimates.

Whenever you receive a scheduled bill that is estimated, you can send us a meter reading for an accurate bill - including by private message here on Boards.

You can also send us a meter reading at other stages during the billing cycle, for an ad hoc bill - e.g. if someone is moving out and usage up to the point they moved out needs to be gauged. The stage of the billing cycle at which we are not able to put meter readings through is at the time of scheduled billing every two months (check your last bill, and the due date on it is approximately two months before the next scheduled billing).

Regards,
    Una

Advertisement