Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Eircom Contract?

Options
  • 19-05-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently moved house and transferred the Eircom account to the new house in Dublin. Eircom informed us that we would have to sign a new 12 month contract for up to 24Mb broadband or 18 month for Fiber. We picked the up to 24Mb broadband but our line can only hold 4Mb. We are currently only receiving speeds of less than 1.3Mb. Last Firday an Eircom technician informed us that we were on an 8Mb broadband bundle.
    Can I cancel this Eircom Contract without incurring penalties? What are my consumer rights? How do I cancel this Contract?

We should be within the 7 day cancellation policy on the new contract but would have about 4 months left on the old contract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Why do you want to cancel though?? Is your exchange a pre ngb one by any chance??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do you want me to move this thread to the Talk to Eircom forum to see if the reps there can help?

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

If you are going to be living there for 18 months then I would just ask eircom to upgrade you to fibre. It is is a free upgrade and a much better service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ElNino wrote: »
    If you are going to be living there for 18 months then I would just ask eircom to upgrade you to fibre. It is is a free upgrade and a much better service.
    It is not a free upgrade, they charge a lot more for Fibre and tie you into contract for 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

foggy_lad wrote: »
    they charge a lot more for Fibre.

????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 vcooney

Eircom customer service is Sh1t, All they want to do is sell you e-fibre. Today after listening for 15 minutes to lies from a sales person trying to sell me another package, I informed him I was cancelling the contract and he switched me over to the cancellation department where I was on hold for another ten minutes. I hung up and rang technical support. The tech guy was very helpful and informed me while the line is capable of holding up to 4MB he would not do this because 'it would be like running a car at high revs and would eventually burn out'. He tried to boost the the line to 3MB from the current speed of less than 1 MB and after a few attempts concluded that the line was faulty and requested a technican to look into the fault in the Exchange. This will take about 2 working days. We are currently signed up for 'up to 24MB' broadband.

The exchange in Ballyboden is not currently on the schedule to be upgraded to NGB. I am currently renting and not guaranteed to be in the house for 18 months.

Last week I ran technical support about the modem - He informed me it was a faulty modem and was sending out a new one. The modem restarted working after ' a diagnostic check' but no new modem was received and no phone call to confirm modem was working properly.

There is no guarantee e-fibre from Eircom will be any better and available in the next house if I move within an 18 month period.
    Eircom customer support provide a very poor service, some of the tech guys are helpful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

If anyone has an issue with how eircom handle their customer care I would recommend following this procedure:

1: Do ring Customer Care, but ask for the agent name and get the case reference number at the end of the call and record the time you made the call how long you had to wait to be answered etc. Their "Customer Care" team have repeatedly been caught recently either incorrectly recording the case (Marking the issue as "Resolved during the call" when in truth the issue is still ongoing.) or even worse failing to log the call at all.

2: Raise the issue on the Boards.ie sub-forum once the time frame you were given by the agent on the line has expired. They will ask for your details to be PM'ed to them. Include the agent name, Case reference number, time and date you called. In both the post and the PM ask for a general idea as to when they will have an update for you.

3: When that general timeframe passes by. PM and Post again and ask for an update.

4: Give them a timeframe that's both acceptable to you and one that allows for them to action your issue. (Remember things can take a long time to be organised and they may need to bring in 3rd party assistance depending) 5-7 working days Max. If after that bthere has been no progress without any update. Contact the ComReg at the following webpage. http://www.askcomreg.ie Make sure to notify both the Boards Reps and their "Customer Service" (Makes me laugh each time.) team that you are raising their failure to assist yet another user with ComReg and will be adding the Rep or agent you are speaking with to the list of agents who refused to assist them.

5. Join us at the customers eircom don't want to help party!!! (You may need to bring your own chair there are thousands here already.)

Advertisement