Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu u18 work

Options
  • 19-05-2014 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello, I've just gotten a job in a Supervalu over the summer. I'm 17 but will not be turning 18 in the period I'll be working. Does anyone have any experience working for Supervalu (or supermarkets in general)?

What's it like?
    How would it pay an under 18y/o?
    Will I be kept busy or will I have a lot of time to sit around?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hello, I've just gotten a job in a Supervalu over the summer. I'm 17 but will not be turning 18 in the period I'll be working. Does anyone have any experience working for Supervalu (or supermarkets in general)?

What's it like?

Thanks!
    You've to deal with people so it can be challenging, for the most part when I worked in retail it was ok.

I imagine you will be paid the min. wage for the under 18s, not sure though.

Yes you will be kept busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/What_You_Should_Know/Employment_of_Children_and_Young_Persons/

This link from the NERA (employment rights website) should tell you all you need to know.

Well done in getting a part-time job, they can be hard to come by for a student for the summer.

One thing I noticed in my own Supervalu recently was that a young fella had a sign on his till saying that no alcohol could be sold at his till. Everyone in the queue ignored it and went to the till anyway cos it was shorter. He had to explain to each customer that he couldn't sell them their wine/beer because he was under 18.

You will probably start off packing shelves, etc. But if you can get experience on the tills it would be great, having experience handling cash makes it much easier in future for getting retail jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Droghead

You will probably start off stacking shelves and doing a bit of cleaning but hopefully u will progress from that and learn more & be given more responsibility which will stand to you... Work hard and make a good impression and hopefully there be a summer job for you every year!!!!...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I started in Super Valu when I was 16 and stayed for 3-4 years.

Lots of work to do so you'll be kept busy

I was stocking shelves and sweeping/cleaning the floors to start with. A lot of work in the store room too with taking in deliveries and putting them away.

I found it a grand place to work. You might come in contact with a d*ckhead manager or two but the main thing I would say is be straight with them and don't give them any sh*t back. Just be professional and get on with the job - they will respect you for it (eventually). Be especially polite with customers - one pissed off customer can make your day a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Biddy_61

What's it like?

Thanks!

How did you get the job? Apply online or just go to local store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 healyjarlath

x43r0 wrote: »
    I started in Super Valu when I was 16 and stayed for 3-4 years.

Lots of work to do so you'll be kept busy

I was stocking shelves and sweeping/cleaning the floors to start with. A lot of work in the store room too with taking in deliveries and putting them away.

I found it a grand place to work. You might come in contact with a d*ckhead manager or two but the main thing I would say is be straight with them and don't give them any sh*t back. Just be professional and get on with the job - they will respect you for it (eventually). Be especially polite with customers - one pissed off customer can make your day a nightmare

How much money are yo getting per hour im 17 and thinkng of working for them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,535 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How much money are yo getting per hour im 17 and thinkng of working for them

I know you're only 17 so it's exciting the thoughts of getting your first job and getting paid. However, earnings per hour shouldn't even be near a question you ask here. Getting your first job is the main thing.

Advertisement