Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handing in notice - Maternity Leave

Options
  • 19-05-2014 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, sorry if this is on the wrong forum! I am currently on maternity leave however I do not wish to return to work. I realise that this is deemed very unfair on the employer and I do feel very guilty. However my personal circumstances have changed, I have had a very sick baby and more recently lost a parent. I am moving out of the city and returning to my home town. Not returning to work is a very hard decision for me and I know my work will be very annoyed. From a legal perspective am I allowed hand in my notice on unpaid leave? I have been topped up by my employer and it is within their policy that this may have to be paid back. This is not a problem as I feel very bad about leaving them. My employers have been very good to me. I want to ensure that the next steps I take are by the book. I am not due back until September and have one months notice period. However I would want to inform them as soon as possible to allow them to recruit for my position. Could someone advise on the best way to do this? And if legally I am allowed hand in my notice when on unpaid leave. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

freaky26 wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this is on the wrong forum! I am currently on maternity leave however I do not wish to return to work. I realise that this is deemed very unfair on the employer and I do feel very guilty. However my personal circumstances have changed, I have had a very sick baby and more recently lost a parent. I am moving out of the city and returning to my home town. Not returning to work is a very hard decision for me and I know my work will be very annoyed. From a legal perspective am I allowed hand in my notice on unpaid leave? I have been topped up by my employer and it is within their policy that this may have to be paid back. This is not a problem as I feel very bad about leaving them. My employers have been very good to me. I want to ensure that the next steps I take are by the book. I am not due back until September and have one months notice period. However I would want to inform them as soon as possible to allow them to recruit for my position. Could someone advise on the best way to do this? And if legally I am allowed hand in my notice when on unpaid leave. Thank you

Does your work place have a policy on maternity leave? If so check what it says. It might also be writtten into the employee handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,367 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wouldn't feel guilty at all. Not least as you are dealing with a lot on your plate and anyway you are suggesting giving them 3 months notice.

I wouldn't make any harsh decisions, but review your contract (with your trade union or solicitor would be a good idea) and only then talk to your boss / HR department.

You don't say what size firm you work for, but might there be the possibility of working nearer where you will live / part-time / from home / as a consultant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Im on maternity leave at the mo and will be taking the unpaid leave and will not be returning. I actually only contacted HR last week to advise i will be taking the unpaid.

I also advised i will most likely mot be returning.HR were great told me nit to resign yet. To give the months notice and resign from the day my mat leave finishes. That way i will be building up my holidaya too so will get holiday pay and bank holidays back.

Advertisement