Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First wedding finished! Album example.

Options
  • 19-05-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi, as some of you know I just did my first wedding. Thank's to alot of friendly people on here giving great advice it went well. So thank you.

Here's a link to some of the best shots. Got time recently to finally edit them in the style the bride asked for (may not be to some of yer tastes, but I like this style, and she and the groom love them). All C+C welcome, thanks again for all your help :)

-modnote- link removed by request

I'm am considering taking on a few second shooter roles, PM me about that if anyone is interested, based in Dublin but can travel.

Rob.

*EDIT: another linked example below....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Rob, really nice photos as i mentioned on the other thread. but.............. oh god, that selective colouring and faux-pulling-the-colours-into-places-they-shouldn't-be effect, and the selective colouring, and SELECTIVE COLOURING :O........ All that was missing was the happy couple in a brandy glass looking down on the congregation.

IMHO, none of the ornamentation is necessary. Your black and whites are wonderful. I didn't see too many originals in colour (if any?) but i'd guess they should be quite fine - a little boost here or there or a tad of contrast/burn here and there if needed.

You were adopting a documentary style to their day and I think that did really work well for you. But I can't understand why you'd then push it into unreal styles of processing.

But still the photographs are really well taken and well done on that. There other bit well is just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Rob, really nice photos as i mentioned on the other thread. but.............. oh god, that selective colouring and faux-pulling-the-colours-into-places-they-shouldn't-be effect, and the selective colouring, and SELECTIVE COLOURING :O........ All that was missing was the happy couple in a brandy glass looking down on the congregation.

IMHO, none of the ornamentation is necessary. Your black and whites are wonderful. I didn't see too many originals in colour (if any?) but i'd guess they should be quite fine - a little boost here or there or a tad of contrast/burn here and there if needed.

You were adopting a documentary style to their day and I think that did really work well for you. But I can't understand why you'd then push it into unreal styles of processing.

But still the photographs are really well taken and well done on that. There other bit well is just my opinion.

Yes, this +1000. Keep to straight B&Ws or colour and they'll make a nice set, though at that I'd tone down the saturation on the colour shots as well. the textured/vignette/selective colour thing detracts enormously from them. I'd dump the sepia toning as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭m-i-m-m-

Thanks for the comments! I'll take them on board... the couple themselves seem to really like this style, but maybe I can talk them into toning it down a bit,

Quickly edit the raw files into b+w / some with colour as see how they feel. I'm still finding my feet re wedding photography editing (obviously as this is my first time doing it)

Your input is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I've a few thoughts on this, and just as a complete beginner too but..
    1 - Fair play on posting your work and looking for C+C and taking it on board, more than I can do
    2 - Your shots themselves as far as everyone being in focus etc are bang on, (of the many ive looked at) again, more than I can do
    3 - From paying mad money for my own wedding (and it was worth it) I think what I liked most was, all my pictures have the same style about them, even though some are in B&W. Flicking between them the processing doesn't scream out at you. It does here and it takes away from the shots.
    4 - You've some great shots but the selective colouring is the first thing you look at, not the bride or groom or the moment.
    5- This shot looks like the bridal party were photoshopped on top of a background, the halo is very distracting: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-plesPvwNdIk/U3kl-HoMOBI/AAAAAAAABnE/BX-ZHaaCNsY/w1598-h979-no/_J5B1000.jpg

Like I said, fair play you're miles ahead of myself and your shots are technically great - I just think the post processing is killing it.

Thanks for the input:D completely agree with point 5!

I'll get there eventually, with yer help :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Excellent photos overall. I like the different styles as it adds some variation, but I can understand that some people may prefer a more homogeneous look.

The ones I would have preferred differently are the ones of the signing of the book + a few others. I think you should have included their faces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm no expert, but you may have gone a bit crazy with the aul airbrush here...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-oi5auKcatt4/U3knVDI7DwI/AAAAAAAABe0/LvoalyUNGrg/w884-h589-no/_J5B1219.jpg

Personally, I like the full colour shots more than the b&w.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I love the pictures, except for the weird bluey one, thats just weird..BUT I skimmed over the fact that therse were wedding photos. The guests and the bride and groom took second stage to the post processing. This was mentioned in the very beginning when you showed pictures of your work, its not wedding photography style you're used to.

You want to give them memories of THEIR day, not a kalidascope of your editing skills, which is what this is.

People always say its lovley and they like your style etc etc, people say nice things, filter that out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

I think its a terrific set of photos and I love the documentary style of the shoot.
    I don't mind the colour and monochrome overall mix but I would stick one type of monochrome. I don't particularly like the monochrome/selective colour mix in individual shots but I think it works in one or two.
    She spent an age picking that dress out so if you're going to have it in colour you have GOT to get the colour spot on ... at the moment it is seen in a variety of colours/shades.
    Above all the bride must look beautiful so I'd carefully scan some of them ... I'm not sure she'd like her expression in the applying the lipstick shot. The first shot is a winner in that regard.
    I would crop a couple slightly differently where I think there's too much air over head!
    I agree with some other comments that the crinkled paper effect is probably overdone but I do like some of the graininess/aged effect.
    Overall, a great job. Seems to me to show a great eye for the mood of the day.

Some great points here, in work so just had a quick look though them. I'll reply properly when I'm home an have time.

• Advertisement

Did a quick re-edit of a few pics, not all the best ones just a few. Opinions? I've taken on board alot of the advice given... and really appreciate people taking the time to help me out.

As I said first time editing wedding photos so lots to learn! Still a bit of selective colouring in there (ohhhhh controversial I know!) but it's toned down alot. Selecting colouring seems to be a bit over done after I did some research today, so I understand the reactions!

Anyhow take a look and any more feed back very much appreciated, good or bad.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110912146100466446904/ReEditExample02?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCMHckpGhuNOaDA&feat=directlink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I really like your style and your apparent knack for getting nice relaxed photos. Some of them are superb.

However, I'd agree with some of the other posters regarding the mix of editing. The thing is, I don't find any of it gaudy or 'offensive' but it's just the way they're mixed up together. I think if you could group them into B&W/Sepia/Blue Tones/Colours etc according to their tones then it would be much easier on the eye.

Apart from that I'd be quite happy to produce that set

I really like your style and your apparent knack for getting nice relaxed photos. Some of them are superb.

However, I'd agree with some of the other posters regarding the mix of editing. The thing is, I don't find any of it gaudy or 'offensive' but it's just the way they're mixed up together. I think if you could group them into B&W/Sepia/Blue Tones/Colours etc according to their tones then it would be much easier on the eye.

Apart from that I'd be quite happy to produce that set

Thank you, as I said I'm new to wedding/people photography but I think this style of shooting suits me... so again thank you. The editing is something I need to really practice and make my own. Whilst taking on board Input from others also, which is much appreciated. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Lovely shots. I don't have anything to add that others haven't mentioned already. Well done.

If you don't mind me asking though, did you ask the couple or any of the subjects if it was ok for you to put them online? I know most people wouldn't mind, but it's the kind of thing that makes me a little uncomfortable. I've asked people to take down pictures of me from various sites, and was actually a little surprised when they weren't keen to. I'm not talking 'model release form' kinda stuff here. More 'I have a site where I display my work. Do you mind me putting your picture on it?'.

Yes I have there permission! ;-)

m-i-m-m- wrote: »
    Yes I have there permission! ;-)

Well, there's your verification that they are really happy with your work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

She actually doesnt need their permission and, while most photographers will take down an image of you if you ask, they're under no obligation to do so.

She actually doesnt need their permission and, while most photographers will take down an image of you if you ask, they're under no obligation to do so.

I know. It's polite to ask though. And, personally speaking, I wouldn't unless I knew the subjects were happy. That's all.

Sorry for derailing your thread, OP.

She

He :D

And no problem endacl... thread's on track.

Advertisement